ethics and spawning smallmouths

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 16:45:49 (permalink)
What's with these" Bass " guys culling their fish. They even have weight markers on the fish in the livewell. Seems to me, once you put it in the boat, it"s part of your limit. I think not only is it bassinine, but not legal.
I like watching Bass Masters about as much as Nascar. I'd like it more, but I already have a life.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 16:51:37 (permalink)
In PA, in order to have a tournament you must have a permit. The permit allows the participants of the tournament to cull fish.  Any other time, culling fish is illegal.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 17:31:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glen

I think not only is it bassinine, but not legal.
I like watching Bass Masters about as much as Nascar. I'd like it more, but I already have a life.

You get funnier with every post.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
washdog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 20:18:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: indsguiz

washdog,
    I really don't have time or the desire to engage in a discussion of BASS except that here in the south there is some kind of tournament almost every week on every lake.  And even though I enjoy getting out in the boat; the actions of some (not all) but some, of the participants in these events disgusts me.  these include: using live bait, attempting to buy fish from other fishermen, running too fast, too close to other boats, running right up beside an anchored boat and basically fishing right in front of them, and even telling somebody that they had to move because "we're fishing a tournament".  So my opinions are mine if you like BASS more power to you.

Inds,
I don't have enough information on BASS to offer and educated opinion, I  asked you a few questions based on what I read in your post and you went off on your disgust with BASS. Why don't you write them a letter and express your digust to them instead of me. I certainly can't change these dislikes you have about Bass for you. It seems to be a sore subject with you.
The original post was about fishing spawn beds and if it was ethical or not to do so, not to hear your dissertation about BASS.

youngguru
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 681
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 20:32:49 (permalink)
is mCdonalDs stiL sErvin breKfass tiL 1030/
                                                                                                                                eG saK foR nuthIng
leTT mee no                                                                             stRayt rYdr
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 20:48:14 (permalink)

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 20:52:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stillhead

In PA, in order to have a tournament you must have a permit. The permit allows the participants of the tournament to cull fish.  Any other time, culling fish is illegal.

Why is this?  Why should tournament fishermen be given preferential treatment in culling fish?  It should be illegal for them as well.

"ethical" to fish for spawning bass?  I don't think so, about as "ethical" as lifting steelhead.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 20:55:32 (permalink)
I don't know why, that's just the way it is.

I would ASSUME, but don't know for sure, that part of the reason is in order to participate in MOST of the tournaments you need to have a functioning livewell on your boat. Which is allot less stressfull on the fish than a stringer or even those wire baskets.
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 21:05:36 (permalink)
Got news for ya....

Releasing a fish after it's been in the livewell for an hour is much better for it than releasing it right away. Expecially if you use Rejuvinate.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 21:09:10 (permalink)
That's great guys... Bite the hand that has fed every angler.  The truth is that BASS probably did more for the sport of fishing than any other organization EVER.  They were the pioneers of Catch and Release, They were the pioneers of competitive fishing (be it trout, saltwater, Brackish Redfish, Australian, Asian, European, Fly...), They have raised more money to protect and save our resources than any other organization (including TU), They do nothing but bring millions of dollars into every town that they visit, and you wouldn't have anywhere's near the fishing equipment available to you today if it wasn't for these guys.  The Billions of dollars there sport has generated has led to every sweet looking, scientifically tested and developed lure that you use, every high performance line on your 8 ball bearing 8:1 reels that adorn your IM9 Fusion wrapped Rods.  Without the money, interest, and demand they generated, over half of what we take for granted would not be available.  ANOTHER POINT and the MOST IMPORTANT...  Most everyone of these guys (particularly the top 50) will whip your **** on a neutral lake every day 24/7.  Now SHUTUPNFISH... 
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/28 21:40:26 (permalink)
well said griffon

Can I Get An AMEN  !!!!!!!!

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/29 05:57:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deetz4352

well said griffon

Can I Get An AMEN  !!!!!!!!

AMEN!!!  

and I'm fishing a tournament this weekend
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/29 07:54:30 (permalink)
Griffon,

On the money, brotha!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
10pts
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/29 08:12:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

LMAO

Look at the girth on that one    !!!!!   She's been thrown back a few times 
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/29 11:21:49 (permalink)
....too big to eat...too ugly to mount...yup, throw her BACK! lol

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
guidemaster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/05/29 12:07:12 (permalink)
Erie times answered the question in todays" Fish on" column.

pulling spawning bass off beds leaves them unprotected from predators and should not be done.
Don B
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/02 09:38:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: guidemaster

Wanted to know how everyone feels about fishing spawning beds.
I have done it, but always wonder if its "ethically correct".

I don't know where you're from, but in Pa., it's against the law to deliberately target spawning bass on beds......pretty lame too. If it was legal, that kind of fishing should be left only to the kids/jr. anglers/handicaped, with less patience, physical ability, or skills to catch bass otherwise.

If you can't catch a bass without dropping a nightcrawler in the middle of a bed, and you're not 5 years old, or handicapped.......that's pretty pathetic, imo. 
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/02 10:10:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Don B

ORIGINAL: guidemaster

Wanted to know how everyone feels about fishing spawning beds.
I have done it, but always wonder if its "ethically correct".

I don't know where you're from, but in Pa., it's against the law to deliberately target spawning bass on beds......pretty lame too. If it was legal, that kind of fishing should be left only to the kids/jr. anglers/handicaped, with less patience, physical ability, or skills to catch bass otherwise.

If you can't catch a bass without dropping a nightcrawler in the middle of a bed, and you're not 5 years old, or handicapped.......that's pretty pathetic, imo. 

I believe your statement is slightly inaccurate. The law states it's illegal to make "repeated" casts to a bed. Catching a spawning fish is not as easy as you make it out to be. In some stages all it takes is one cast, but I have seen times where you could make 100 casts and not get bit.

Until there is hard scientific proof that catching spawning fish is detrimental, I'll stay on the fence.
I've seen too many articals in support and against the act.
Bottom line is everyone has their theory and that's all it will be until proven otherwise.
16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/02 11:22:30 (permalink)
all you comoplaining about cathching bass on their beds and damange'n the fish and fishing..... bet ya all steelhead fish right?- what the hell is the difference.... sounds like a bunch of hipicrits... steel are running up strream to spawn.... granted they mite not be sittn on beds when u catchm, but same principle.... there's thousands of bass out there... one dead one aint gonna hurt a thing...worried about it being ethical or not? not gonna change it or stop people from doin it so would save ur breathe..
post edited by 16506fish - 2009/06/02 11:25:20
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/02 14:41:05 (permalink)
Ethical I quess is up to each individual! BUT the law says "illegal to make "repeated casts" to a bed.  I guess if you make one cast that is ok. Just don't make "repeated casts."

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/02 14:43:18 (permalink)

1650, no doubt, but take your own advise and save your breath.  This is a discussion board, ya know?
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/03 00:09:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glen

What's with these" Bass " guys culling their fish. They even have weight markers on the fish in the livewell. Seems to me, once you put it in the boat, it"s part of your limit. I think not only is it bassinine, but not legal.

glen, felt this way, about everything you wrote, for years.  thought i was a loner

ldhs28
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/03 03:03:30 (permalink)
i have don't it too but i don't think it's right

Attached Image(s)

Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: ethics and spawning smallmouths 2009/06/03 21:05:28 (permalink)
GM,
        Would it not depend on ones' perception of population control? It seems to me a large populous of anglers wanted larger pellet heads instead of more numbers recently. If that majority opinion held true for bass would the same principle apply?

Less bass means more forage , less competition for available forage , and bigger fi$h ? Just stating I could give a large brown trout either way.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: