Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos

Author
Trap Jaw
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/24 08:40:07 (permalink)

Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos

I just want to get everyone's oppinion on this.  I just bought an Eagle fishelite 480, installed it on the boat and I've used it 3 times.  The problem is the GPS is all over the place, loosing signal, large error(500-600 feet), and unknown speeds.  My buddy has a similar unit and he is having the same problems.  Before anyone starts, both are hooked up properly.  My question is does anyone else have this kind of problem and what are the oppinions about the Eagle GPS units. 

13 Replies Related Threads

Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/24 13:07:22 (permalink)
    IMO, eagles are junk. Had the same problem esp. around Niagara River. The gps always would flash "signal lost" every time we started catching fish.
    On slow days it worked good.

Take it back and buy a Lowrance...........
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/24 18:33:25 (permalink)
    Sorry, Lowrance isn't even on my list of options for a GPS.  No way am I spending a grand for a unit. 

I only need three things to fish, depth, speed and position.  I don't need color, and most all the bells and whistles that come on these stupid things now.  I am real close to ripping this thing off and installing my old 480 Eagle and buying the accesories for hardwiring my handheld GPS into the boat.  This is just very frustrating.

Does anyone have any oppinions on the Humminbird units?  Bottom line is I ain't made of money and if I buy something it will be the lower end or nothing at all.
    storymaker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/24 19:27:21 (permalink)
    an eagle IS a lowrance!!
    stivey79
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/24 21:55:43 (permalink)
    Trap Jaw,

Sound like a software update or something similar, here are a couple things to look at.  Check this website for software updates for both the head unit and the GPS module... http://www.eaglenav.com/en/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotters/  Also should make sure the GPS puck is at least 3 feet from the head unit, it may not say that in the manual, but I have seen that problem before with a unit I have.

Stivey79
    post edited by stivey79 - 2009/05/24 21:58:17
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/25 00:23:48 (permalink)
    I found out about the software not long ago and haven't been able to check the unit to see if it is running that.  I hope it's not that since I can't get their software to load onto my memory cards, don't know why I have the right software.  I am also planning on trying the soft and hard restarts that Eagle recomends.  Thanks for recommending the distance, mine is something like 3 INCHES not feet. 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/25 08:02:17 (permalink)
    If your serious about your puck being 3 inches away, that's your problem....Move it more than 3 feet away from the unit and you may see improvement.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/26 16:07:43 (permalink)
    Trapjaw, I have the same unit and have had it for 4 years (at least) and have never had that problem. My puck is mounted on a plate beneath the unit, so it is literally 1.5" from the head unit. I have a larger Lowrance unit that I use mainly for the GPS and I use the 480 almost exclusively for the sonar, but I do check it often just to make sure I have back up for the other GPS. Sofware may be the issue, call their customer support (800-324-1354) I'm sure they'll be able to help. I've heard lots of guys complain about their service, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/26 16:21:00 (permalink)
    Eagle I beleive is outdated Lowrance technology. I have only had the problem with Lowrance of the US Boundary line being incorrect and the TD conversion is wrong.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/26 20:16:57 (permalink)
    Their customer service isn't blowin my skirt up yet.  Tried Friday and was on hold for an hour before I gave up.  Today, tried calling all day and nothing but a busy signal.  I tried everything this weekend.  Moved the puck up to the bow, at least 5 feet away from anything with electricity, except the bow light.  Also did a soft and hard restart, and got their software update to load on a memory card.  After all that the best error reading I got was 75'.  Had my handheld eTrex right there and that was giving me an error of only 5'.
    stivey79
    New Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/26 20:47:59 (permalink)
    The error reading could also be affected if WAAS is enabled on the handheld and not the 480.  Look at the manual to see where you turn WAAS on in the 480, that will help with distance error. I understand the frustration you are faced with when calling support, I have called tech support within the last month and it takes a loooooooooooooong time to get through to them, but at least you are speaking to someone in this country, and you can actually understand what they say.  They have been very knowledgable and helpful once you get connected.  Don't give up....  This unit is just like the Lowrance LMS 480 and I had very few issues with it, I recall that I had to download software for it a time or two.
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/29 19:01:45 (permalink)
    Just figured I would give everyone an update.  Finally got ahold of Eagle and they told me that it was either the unit or the puck...  $100 for the puck, $150 for a reman'd unit.  It's dad's boat and after some discussion he wanted a whole new unit.  I couldn't talk him into a different unit since he wanted all the holes to line up(he hates drilling holes in a boat, who can blame him).  Installed the new unit and turned on, BOOM picked up 7 satellites in a matter of minutes. 

Stivey, the handheld I used was an OLD eTrex, no WAAS.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/29 20:22:04 (permalink)
    article in last sunday's paper: gps satellites already in orbit getting old, air force lacking funds to update. could be a major problem down the road if not happening already with everyday users such as vehicles and boats. will continue to deteriorate over time.
    stivey79
    New Angler
    RE: Eagle Fishfinder/GPS combos 2009/05/29 20:56:17 (permalink)
    PikePredator,
    I read the article also and I would say that is Highly Unlikely....  Precision Engagement, an Air Force Core Competency is the Top priority in the 21st century Air Force.  This competency enables our forces to locate the objective or target, provide responsive command and control, generate the desired effect, assess our level of success, and retain the flexibility to re-engage with precision when required and mostly all accomplished utilizing GPS...  not to mention minimizing colateral damage.  Below is the link to the Air Force core competencies.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/global/competencies/precision.htm

Sorry for the rant, I'm Retired Air Force...

Trapjaw,
    Glad to see you were able to get things ironed out...  I work on PC's, servers, and network equipment daily and can relate to your frustration.  Like I said earlier, at least their support folks are located in this country and you can understand them when they talk to you...

Tight Lines
    post edited by stivey79 - 2009/05/29 21:28:27
    Jump to: