curse of the blind

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/21 20:07:02 (permalink)

curse of the blind

I set up my blind last night at the corner of two properties, along a powerline leading into a field. Since I didn't have permission to hunt the field, I faced my blind awy from it, back up towards the powerline and set up my decoys. Get there 5AM, let off an owl call. Nothing. About 20 after, one starts gobbling on the roost. He must have gone off 30 times in about 20 minutes. Then, he got quiet for about five minutes. His calls after that made me believe he'd flown down. Id only called once or twice while he was in the tree. Once he was down, I called when it sounded like he was going away from me. That bird was behind me until 8:30. The weird thing is, I didn't hear any hens, it sounded like it was just me and him. He gobbled steadily until about 6:45. I only called sparingly and quietly. I just wanted him to get a fix on me. We had a spirited excahnge at about 8:00. After that, he only gobbled twice. I couldn't bring him around to the front of the blind. They dont call it a blind for nothing. I felt like I was blind.

I never even saw that bird, but I had like three hours of excitement. Maybe you veterans would have got him, or not thought this was anything special, but I was having a blast. Anyone who thinks it's all over...well all I can say is I wish I had the weekend off.

6 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/21 20:41:38 (permalink)
    Good stuff Danes.  I've got a similar situation to you, trying to draw gobblers off the roost where I don't have permission to hunt through a field to property I do have permission to hunt.  I can get within about 75 yards of where they roost sometimes.  This morning seemed like about 200.  To top it all off, they've got to cross an old barb wire fence to get there, but there are several low spots where they can cross easily.

Yesterday I didn't get out till 9:30.  As soon as I set up, I saw some hens working my side of the fence.  The gobblers were sounding off just on the other side of it, about 100 yards from my post.  Eventually they went silent.  I would call softly every 10 minutes or so.  Knew I had to leave no later than 11:35.  At 11:25, for just a couple of seconds, a big red head appears out of the wheat just on the other side of the fence.  Gone.  Stayed another 10 minutes but saw or heard nothing.

This morning, a few gobbles off the roost, and a few gobbled at crows.  Watched a parade of hens come out of the woods, into the wheat.  At least a dozen birds.   

Got a few hours in the morning to try one more time, then I'm done.  This has been a very educational and exciting season for me.  I've rarely hunted turkeys in the past - once or twice a year as a teen.  Never saw or heard any.  A couple times a season with a good buddy who is a big turkey hunter when I lived in KY from '98-'01.  First time I can recall every hearing a gobbler.  Maybe three or four other times in the last 7 years.

But at least a couple times a week this year.  Like you, despite not connecting, I've had a great time and really enjoyed being out in the spring woods.  I've seen LOTS of deer, a couple skunks, 2 pairs of orioles.  Watched 2 pairs of geese go from nest to leading their goslings around the farm.  They are turning grey already. 
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/21 23:04:18 (permalink)
    Man, hope you connect. I was sidelined by poison ivy that I picked up the first week, and my job makes it tough to get out early. But the few times I did get out, I enjoyed it, culminating with todays "close encounter". Wish there were a few more weeks left.

You do see a lot of good stuff in the spring woods. I heard a raccoon fight first thing. Then a pair of flickers landed in front of the blind and entertained me for about 10 minutes. While I was walking out, I was clucking on a mouth call every now and then, I looked up one path to find a doe staring right at me. I'm gonna try that mouth call in archery!

Good luck.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/22 14:53:03 (permalink)
    We also been real close all year.We only went out one time an never heard a bird.We are hunting community turks right now beside the house.This is the first day since a worked these 3 birds i got to go after them again.These birds receive alot of pressure but most guys try to call them to a plowed field.My been a idiot like i usally am.I told the old man the only way we're going to kill these boys is get in thicket with them.So we got there at 5:20 no need to go in early now not with all the leaves.We sat there an never made a noise so about 5:40 one starts about 50 yards in front of us.We was hunting with a fold blind up looks like a barlap sack.So about 5:50 a give them a cluck boy where we into turks hens and gobblers everywhere.I did a flydown man did they go nuts.They keep getting closer but we couldn't see a thing out of this blind.I took the corner of the blind down in the woods want quite.They must been right on top of us **** IT 2 days left good luck and be safe.
    post edited by chicken27 - 2009/05/22 16:19:49
    percheye
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/24 01:43:50 (permalink)
    Never hunted with a blind.. probably never will, how I was taught. But it is easier for certain people if you need it or want it. Not holding anything against blind hunters or anything! Like what chicken said.. good luck and please be safe!!!!!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/24 06:57:00 (permalink)
    Blinds are great for bow hunting but are not needed for gun hunting and in fact may hinder you IMO. In many cases you need to be mobile and move in relation to what the particular turkey your hunting is doing and blinds and decoys do nothing but slow you down and lock you into a position that may not be where the turkey wants to go on that particular day. While the object is to call them in you have to be positioned where they are willing to go.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: curse of the blind 2009/05/24 16:39:12 (permalink)
    Well,there was no point in me facing the blind towards the field where I didnt have permission to hunt. I agree that using a blind does lock you into whatever position you are facing. That is the drawback. But, I can get away with a lot of movement, I have all my calls around me and I dont get rained on. I believe that blinds are good in certain situations. I just need to learn to position it the right way to maximize my chances.
    Jump to: