IS IT OVER

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/14 15:35:12 (permalink)

IS IT OVER

I been out 3 days this week an yes they're still  gobbling on roost.The first day out i missed the next two days had guys come in on us.I was wondering if i should keep after them or just clean the gun an washed the clothes an called quits for the year?

20 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 16:20:29 (permalink)
    They were gobbling like crazy yesterday morning.  Had to back off on three coming my way - gobbling most of the way across a field - cause my wife had to go to work and I had to get home to get the kids off to school.  I snuck out undetected I think.  When I got back to the truck, I could still see them in the same field and they were in no hurry to leave. 

This morning was pretty quiet.  A few gobbles off the roost, and they headed the other way.  Maybe they did bust me yesterday.

That said, I'm no expert on turkey hunting.  This is the first year I've ever been out more than once or twice.  But days like yesterday will keep me coming back for more. 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 17:14:27 (permalink)
    I've heard birds gobble and observed gobblers still struting for hens in mid to late June. Last summer I was fishing Wilhelm in June and heard a bird gobble for 1 hour solid, well over 100 times. I've killed birds the last day.

In a nutshell, it ain't over till the fat lady sings...............
    post edited by ready2fish - 2009/05/14 17:15:10
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 18:05:54 (permalink)
    turkeys will gobble just about all year. i heard them gobblen while bow hunting in oct. i still see them strutten and hanging with the hens. thats why there going the other way. thats happening to every body i talk to. if you can get in close so he sees your decoy before he sees the real one , you will get him. or wait til bout 10:00 or 11:00 and give it a try.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 18:07:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

They were gobbling like crazy yesterday morning.  Had to back off on three coming my way - gobbling most of the way across a field - cause my wife had to go to work and I had to get home to get the kids off to school.  I snuck out undetected I think.  When I got back to the truck, I could still see them in the same field and they were in no hurry to leave. 

This morning was pretty quiet.  A few gobbles off the roost, and they headed the other way.  Maybe they did bust me yesterday.

That said, I'm no expert on turkey hunting.  This is the first year I've ever been out more than once or twice.  But days like yesterday will keep me coming back for more. 

rsquared, you likely didn't spook them... but you may have educated them a bit.  I would bet that they probably came looking for you, they did not find a hen and left.  It is most likely possible that your birds simply followed a different pattern this morning.  It is also possible (although less likely) that they recognized your calls or your cadence and identified it with the hen they didn't locate a short time ago. 

I can tell you that in SWPA this morning, the birds were off the hook and on the prowl this morning.  I saw several toms out searching on my way to work at 6:30 and none of the birds had hens with them.  I stopped to listen to a couple and with one yelp, they each went out of their minds with one of them running through a field to within 10 yards of my truck.  When I got to my office, I mentioned this to a couple of coworkers who said they saw the same thing.  Soon, there were several people around and every person, to a T, said the exact same thing.  This was a morning to kill a longbeard if ever there was one. 
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 19:04:37 (permalink)
    i know 2 guys that killed birds this morning. any time i call in a bird or deer and something goes wrong i use totaly different calls and decoys. 2 lb came in to my jake decoy a couple years ago and i killed 1. i brought my buddy back a week later to kill the other 1 cause i knew he was still there. the hens come out ,go past the decoy and bout 5 min. later here comes the gobbler. he took i step in the field, saw the decoy and was gone. he went around us and came back out on the other side of the field ,where the hens were now at , about 100 yds away. i say he remembered the decoy from the week before.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 20:20:06 (permalink)
    The fellow I've been taking out this week didn't want to go today so I took a ride and watched a searching jake in one area and a strutting long beard with a hen in another. Don't quit until the law says you have to. Now is the time to start killing the dominate birds as more and more hens go to sitting.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 21:26:16 (permalink)
    I tryed to roost  a bird tonight with no luck.I checked 5 spots but none shocked gobble.I never had to hunt this late in the year i either killed or gave up by now.I got one spot i really want to hunt 2moro but i promised my daughter i won't go there till saturday with her.I can only hunt till 8:30 or 9:00 should i be aggresive with them or just do some purring and clucking?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/14 21:32:46 (permalink)
    By now, you know the birds patterns and they know yours... Why would you roost them, very much like you and every other jabroni has been doing for the last month and a half?  Think about it from a predator/prey relationship.  All you are doing is giving them an education, and teaching them that the woods will not be safe in 10 hours when they wake up.  As for coming into calling, the rut has just begun.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 04:18:15 (permalink)
    (the rut has just begun.) ----- great analogy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 09:16:42 (permalink)
    Pretty quiet morning here today.  3 or 4 different birds gobbled off the roost a few times, then that was pretty much it.  2 different birds responded to crows flying overhead about 7.  Think I'm gonna back off that area till middle of next week.  I'm probably getting a little too predictable.

Griffon, when you say the rut has just begun, do you mean that the toms should be more responsive to calling?  Or do you mean that they'll be pretty much henned up like when a buck might go on lockdown with a hot doe for a day? 

Here's a turkey biology question too.  How many hens can a gobbler breed in one day?  Do they ever stop, or just go all day long till they can't find any more hens? 
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 11:16:44 (permalink)
    rsquared, when I say "The rut is on", I am referring the search and chase phase.  Hens are becoming harder to find and less receptive as a good portion of the breeding is now nearing completion.  The Tom's can't just "shut it off", so they become very susceptible to calling from what they would perceive as a receptive hen. 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 11:36:46 (permalink)
    Well--there is still one too many receptive hens left. Had another guy out today and we were playing hard to get and had a cautious adult coming in until the **** ran right to him.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 12:19:43 (permalink)
    We had 2 tearing there heads today.I would cutt they would double gobble .I thought for sure they where dead in the water.Then about 2 minutes later i hear a hen yelp and cutt one time.I got one of them to gobble one more time from a cutt on a box call then that **** started to run her mouth again.We only got 7 days left don't look like we are going to score.Good luck guys an be safe.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 13:52:40 (permalink)
    Don't hang it up yet. I've always had good luck the last day. The hens are settin & the toms are ready to rock. Be patient young jedi, come in the Toms will.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 15:28:54 (permalink)
    i never say im not going to score until noon on the last day if i havent killed one by then. the more persistent you are the better the feeling when you finally get one. these birds are smart. but just stick with it. do your home work. watch where they are coming out of the woods at. try to get as close as you can to the trees they are roosting in. just cause they are not making noise dont mean they arent there. try to figure them out and out smart them. even if it means just sitting by a tree not making a sound waiting for them to show up. if you can figure out where they are coming from and where they mite be going to , you will evenually get him, but not if you give up. if you are hunting the fields, hunt where it is plowed, cut or a tractor or 4 wheeler trail. they will come out more there than they will where the grass is half over there heads.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/15 21:57:01 (permalink)
    Some of the best hunting is coming,the last week,I've killed some giants the last week,two years ago shot a 10 3/4 beard w/huge 1 3/8 spurs ( hooked) limb hanger don't give up till noon on the last day, I'd be hunting if I would have bought a second tag,most years I'd don't hunt till late in the season, just about all rookies give up and you have the woods to yourself.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/16 00:17:10 (permalink)
    I've actually gotten more responses from gobblers later in the season as far as calling them and they actually start coming to me. One year I was fishing and I heard one gobble up a valley. I didn't even have a call so i just made yelping noises. That bird came right to me, gobbling all the way. He hung up across the creek (I figured he would), but this happened in June. Sometimes, I carry a mouth call with me trout fishing in late May, just so I can talk to em...and I often get responses...in the middle of the afternoon.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/16 08:23:47 (permalink)
    Birds were off the hook this morning.  I took my seven year old, put him in my lap with a youth 20 (first time he has actually hunted where he was the shooter) and gave it a shot this morning.  Most of the birds henned up when they hit the ground, but we were fortunate enough to peel one of the hens away from the flock.  Here came Mr. Longspur right in tow, triple hammer'n, spitt'n and drum'n. She came straight in to about 10 feet from us and he was about 20 yards out.  I told my son to get down on the barrel, make sure to aim for the head and squeeze the trigger.  BOOOOM.  Bird was in the air and gone with a clean miss.  We packed up and headed home so that we could ready for his ball game this morning. We probably could have stayed and called more birds in, but all is good and my son was not discouraged.  He actually found it funny and was laughing at himself.  Now he is chirping in my ear that next year we are going to go back and shoot him when he is even bigger...  
    post edited by griffon - 2009/05/16 08:24:47
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/16 12:58:08 (permalink)
    We heard two gobble way off at first light.We waited till 8 at that spot couldn't get one to gobble.Then we started the run an gun idea not one of favorite things to do but we're running out of time.That also didn't work very well never got one to gobble.Maybe we should have griffon take us?????????????????????????LOL
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS IT OVER 2009/05/16 14:56:21 (permalink)
    chicken,  seriously, it is a little late in the season or I would be happy to go out with you.  It is actually kind of funny.  I will be out of town for a good bit on W.Va trout trip, so my season (even helping others) is probably at it's end.  Keep me in mind next spring if you live on the western side of the state and maybe we can make something happen.  All it will cost you is a cup of coffee and breakfast after we kill one...   I don't have to call.  I can sit back, watch and listen and give you an honest critique also.  It just depends on what you would like.  Griffon.
    Jump to: