DIPSEY DIVERS

Author
krafish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/31 07:56:34 (permalink)

DIPSEY DIVERS

Having a great time learning to catch walleye but having limited success. Believe much of my problems are with dipsey diver. Many times the diver will not pop and often they are dragging on the bottom. I believe they may be spinning when I let them out and then the line is tangled (so it won't pop) and dragging the bottom is totally non productive. How about some more hints on dipsey divers.  

5 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: DIPSEY DIVERS 2007/07/31 09:49:22 (permalink)
    Let them out slow. I put the clicker on and let it feed out on its own.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: DIPSEY DIVERS 2007/07/31 12:52:13 (permalink)
    As Dave said, you need to keep at least some tension on them as you let the out. You also have keep an eye on your inside lines as you make a turn so that there is always tension on them. Too sharp of a turn will allow your inside dipsys drop to the bottom.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: DIPSEY DIVERS 2007/07/31 13:21:18 (permalink)
    Put the clicker on...Let them back about 75ft then thumb the spool the rest of the way out allowing tension on the rod the entire time.

A dipsy is basically a weight...you let it out too fast it will free fall right to the bottom.  Also on 3.5 setting they are prone to spin on slack line....takes a little gettin used to...but once you get it right you will be very satified in your results...

As far as tripping goes they have a tension screw on the release....the more worn out the release gets the better you can set the release tension.....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Bail Money
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: DIPSEY DIVERS 2007/08/01 10:52:43 (permalink)
    I found that if you scrape the paint off the release channel and snap the release bar in and out a couple of times to smooth the channel out you can adjust it more accurately.  The paint wears off with use anyways it makes it easier for the metal rod to release. CB and Spoonchucker are correct be careful when making sharp turns with 2.5-3.5 settings the dipsies tend to twist and then you feel like your reeling in a brick because they wont pop. 
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: DIPSEY DIVERS 2007/08/07 15:19:37 (permalink)
    All great suggestions one I may add is to try WALKER'S there similiar to Dipsys but less mone and adjust better. Also get a trolling depth book so it makes it easier to figure the depths your running your divers at
    Jump to: