F&S article....anyone read?

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/24 07:45:27 (permalink)

F&S article....anyone read?

There was an article recently about when you should and shouldn't shoot does.  They happened to mention PA, and the battle with the PGC.  Pretty good article, basically common sense, but informative.

I know that since EHD we havent shot any deer on my folks property, on the Greene/Wash county line, and the numbers are still down.

Did anyone read this?  Im not looking to start WWIII over this, but what did you think of the article?  

3 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: F&S article....anyone read? 2009/04/24 10:24:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

I know that since EHD we havent shot any deer on my folks property, on the Greene/Wash county line, and the numbers are still down. 

We have not shot a doe in 2 years either, but the herd is about back up to where we want it.  Barring another outbreak this summer, a few does will be on the hit list this fall.

Have not seen the article you are referring to.

My rifle is a black rifle
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: F&S article....anyone read? 2009/04/24 11:22:10 (permalink)
    About 95% of my area I will not shoot a doe.  Weeks 2,3, and 4 of archery are when I'm hunting those 5% areas for doe.  In that time, this gives me an opportunity to really put a pattern on the doe, for the rut.  Some people only like to shoot older doe.  I have a tendency to try to target 2.5 or older but if an opportunity presents itself on a year and half, sure, I'll take it.  I like having meat from the early season.

If I make it to rifle season without a kill, I'll shoot a doe in the afternoon or evening during the first week.   If I've taken a buck and still have some stuff to munch on, I'll probably pass.  If I make it to the last few days and there's no meat in the freezer, watch out !

I enjoy late flintlock as much as anything.  I like to have a tag to hunt, although I can't hit the friggin' things.  

Not sure how I feel about the when I should and shouldn't shoot a doe.   At some point, if I haven't got any meat to munch on, I'm going to try to shoot one no matter what.     I try to target the areas where there are alot of doe.   My Dad and I's bucks from last year each had one tine broken.  The area's ratio was about 1:1 by observations.  I will not shoot a doe there.

Ultimately, I like to shoot them early in archery.  About the second week if I could choose. 

I too, have not read the article.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: F&S article....anyone read? 2009/04/24 13:29:11 (permalink)
    I wonder if in the areas with almost a 1-1 ratio why not spank a button buck instead of the doe ?? They will just get run off anyway and you don't hurt your depleted doe population..

Nothin better than venison from the first couple weeks of season..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: