Where's my sign ?

Author
gizmos
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1190
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/27 08:02:52 (permalink)

Where's my sign ?

This is probably dumb but I'm  pretty much unfamiliar with offshore riggings and I'm hopefully going to try for some eyes next week with the X and I'm sure she will be chuckling at my efforts regardless, so I figure I may as well take a hit or two here 1st. Was thinkin about pickin up a few dipseys to pull some meat or cranks, but I think the divers alone would pretty much load my rods up so.... is it possible to put a downrigger clip/release on the dipsey with the lure on a different rod ? Would like to fight a fish without the added pull of a dipsey, or (more than likely) am I just going to create a big useless mess ?
While I'm collecting signs, what are the chances of connecting just drifting jig/minnow/crawlers set ups. ? Be  gentle !!

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.

12 Replies Related Threads

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/27 08:31:57 (permalink)
    VERY INTERESTING.......  I may give it a try myself. My left shoulder doesn't hold up real well with the LC rod so maybe i could use a spinning setup as the other rod. If this rain stops, i'll give it a shot today Giz. I'll post my results.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/27 09:56:49 (permalink)
    what are the chances of connecting just drifting jig/minnow/crawlers set ups.

That's the way I learned as a kid.  It can be productive, but can be the slowest fishing you've ever experienced as well.  I never tried it out deep, so it may depend on where you're at.  Nightcrawlers or chubs on a willow-leaf.  But, that was WAY before VHS, so unless you're getting the chubs from a trib, you may want to use large minnows or just stick to worms.  Good luck.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/27 11:23:37 (permalink)
    Gotcha on that T.T. Thanks!

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/27 18:45:29 (permalink)
    Giz, i tried that setup today. Fished it in the no wake zone over the channal. Didn't get a bite but the double setup works okay. Had to snap the pole from the clip then snap the dipsy. Dont stop moving or that dipsy will snag quick. It will work best with 2 people in the boat. When a fish snaps the rig loose, one guy can reel the fish in and the other the dipsy. Good luck and post your results. Oh yeah, i caught and released over 40 small crappies. Kept 11 that were 9 to 10"s to eat tonight. Green twistertails.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/27 23:33:50 (permalink)
    Sounds like I'll give it a shot. Was also kickin around a 20-30' crank with the back treble off and a leash back to a crawler but I'm thinkin the crank won't run right and even if it did, those things load a rod up pretty good too. Wish it was sympathy pains but my shoulder has been torturing me since around the 4th. If it doesn't start lettin up I'll be hittin you up for some info. Been spending a little time trying the crappie up there but no takers, only whites. Did catch em bustin on top a couple times, fast and furious then they're gone.How is your shoulder healin? (lie to me if you have to !)

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/28 00:32:01 (permalink)
    Hey Tom here is a method I used in Onterio for lakers. It is a sinker release, looks like a dog whistle, fish hits and pulls the pin open and drops your wieght. Now all you fight is the fish. Use environmentally friendly weights. Caught alot of fish using this.

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/28 02:02:20 (permalink)
    John, you know old leaky would sink for sure if I carried enough of those weights to keep up with all the fish I catch! (yea right) Do you know of any site that may carry these so I can check them out ? P.S. did you go to the falls yet or is that trip still upcoming ? Would like to do that myself,with X and pooch,keep me posted if you don't mind ! Have a good night.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/28 09:26:40 (permalink)
    I bought those up at Wilson harber. It has been quite some time ago, I,ll try to find them for ya. Ya made it up on weds. Had a great time.
    Will post pixs as soon as I download.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/07/31 14:09:33 (permalink)
    Gizmos,
         I think I posted this once before.  It is something we have done for years when fishing minnows deep.  We rig a heavy weight and about 2' above the weight we attach a clothespin type clip (I prefer the aluminum ones with the plastic jaws found in electrical supply stores),  we then attach our light line to the clip with about 8 - 10 feet of line running out and then just toss the rig overboard.  Fish hits minnow, pulls line from clip, you fight fish on light rod.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/08/01 21:34:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. I'm heading up in the a.m. and my heads spinnin trin to figure out what to do, but I'm won't know what I did till I get home !!

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/08/01 22:24:02 (permalink)
    Good luck Tom. I have some of those sinker release rigs . You are welcome to them. They are mainly for deep water fishing. I,d go with you but have a friend that has a cancer and taking him to the burg in morning.

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's my sign ? 2007/08/08 10:38:33 (permalink)
    Man that trip took a toll on my back but it was fun! (now that I can move again!) To make a long story short, on the advice of a fellow boater, did not go out to the big pods of fish, no lowrance or compass. He steered me to the clay banks with miny dipseys and harness" in 25 -30' water picked up one nice eye around 9 am,then junk. Moved to 30 after swimmin and eating and had 3 doubles and multiple singles, biggest around 25', lost a couple that felt bigger at the boat. Really surprised me catchin eyes in clear, no chop, 90* bright sun , in the middle of the afternoon.The best time was between 1 and 4 oclock! Went in to strech and grab a sandwich and went back out at 7 pm to 1-3s How fast it can change. Went to the same water with high hopes due to the chop and only managed 3 more,one sublegal and the other 2 pushin 16". That was thur., fri went out at seven made one pass and packed it in,trying to keep my sea legs in a 16' boat was killin my back,trollin with the wind was easier but the X doesn't consider motor fumes perfume, so we packed it in. Still what a great fishery !
    Thnks to all for all the advice and info !
    -me
    -my X

Jump to: