What do you tie??

Author
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/25 13:17:24 (permalink)

What do you tie??

Hey what's up guys, I'm an occassional poster but I'm on this page everyday.  I was wondering what types of flies you guys like to tie: bass, trout, salmon, panfish, musky/pike, saltwater..etc, and what specific types are your favorites...nymphs, dries, topwater, streamers, deer hair, etc.  I just got back into tying after a little hiatus due to graduating college and getting a real job, but I've been doing it for almost 10 years now.  I've tied just about every type of fly from #32's just to see if it was possible to 6/0 Billfish flies, and I'd have to say that my favorite flies to tie are spun deer hair divers/poppers for bass.  What about you?? 
post edited by dealinsteel - 2007/07/25 13:18:19

7 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/07/25 15:24:36 (permalink)
    Whatever is hatching where im going the next day, thats my favorite. I used to tie, tie, tie some more, stay up all night tying. Now its, hurry and crank out a dozen, oh, may need 5 or 6 of those....out the door.
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/07/25 19:35:15 (permalink)
    I have tied just about every type of fly I can think of in the last 20 years.  My favorites change periodically, but currently my favorites are "micro" nymphs (size 18 and smaller) and wet flies (traditional winged and wingless soft hackles).  I have always hated tying saltwater flies.  Just not enough variation (mostly streamers of some sort).  In a few more weeks I will answer that salmon/steelhead flies are my favorite.  I think because they are mostly simple and are like making Christmas tree ornaments.  Bright and pretty.
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/07/28 22:33:01 (permalink)
    I've been at it for roughly 5 years and tie specifically for trout and steelies.  Maily trout though, mostly nymphs and egg paterns and streamers.  I've recently started to fish streamers a lot more so as of late, my focus has been on them.  Buggers, leeches, maribou streamers have been fishing really well for me as of late.  With everything I tie, I have tied from the traditional styles and included slight variations to experiement.  I also have tied a few dry flys, mostly caddis.  When I fish a pattern and find it successful, I work on tying it with one caveat.  The 18-20somethings I don't tie much of.  I'll just buy those.  I have been working on getting better with those though and have recently tied Griffith's Gnats in 18 and 20. 
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2981
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/07/29 08:06:51 (permalink)
    The flies that I enjoy tying the most are traditional style dry flies. The problem is that they're not my best producing flies so I don't have a need to time them as much. Except I do go through quite a bit of 20-22 olives which sometimes can be a pain for me to tie because of my diminished vision.
     I do like tying soft hackles but again, i don't use them much unless the trout will absolutely not rise. If I can't catch trout on top then, by God, they're going to be caught pretty darn near the top. I once enjoyed tying the diminutive #24 and smaller fly but its those darn eyes of mine.
     What I hate to tie are yarn eggs. It gets to the point that tying them becomes monotonous. But if you do a lot of steelhead fishing, they are somewhat of a necessity. To a lesser degree, I feel the same with nymphs but lately small wd-40's and micro mayfly's seem to hold my interest.  
     I like tying steelhead style of streamers. I can let my imagination take over from time to time.
      My favorite style of fishing is throwing dries to rising trout and streamers to bad attitude steelies.

Gone Fishing
    vinnytobasco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/08/07 01:54:50 (permalink)

egg paterns and green weenies for trout easy to tye and work great.

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/08/07 11:37:04 (permalink)
    I love Steelhead flies... I tie those about 80% of the time.. but do tie about everything

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: What do you tie?? 2007/08/07 22:38:36 (permalink)
    I can only tie some nymphs like pheasant tail, several different types of bead heads, skip nymphs, steelhead caddis and of course sucker spawn.  I have tied some drys like trico's and caddis(not very good though).  I can also tie green weenies and san juan worms.  Not very good at tying but trying to learn more all the time.  I am interested in learning to tie streamers and wooly buggers next.
    Jump to: