today with a newbe

Author
akitadog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 977
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/11 14:24:07 (permalink)

today with a newbe

getting my nephew turkey hunting this year, he just turned 9 on wensday. first we got up at 6:00 and went out to listen for some gobblen. had 1 gobble bout 50 yards from us a day break. rite where i figured he was at. he got pretty excited. he looked at me and said" can we hunt him now?" that was great cause hes ready to go. then we went to shoot his new youth mossburg 500. he shot a box of low brass last week but wanted to get him to shoot a 3 incher at a turkey target to pattern but he just a little guy and the low brass wacks him alittle. he put the 3 incher in, i made him put on his face mask and every thing like we where hunting. he aimed , pulled the trigger and tore the target the peices. looked like the gun wacked him pretty hard. he looked at me and ask if he could shoot another. so he shot 2 more and hit good each shot.i wil let you know what happens, but im pretty sure he ready to bag his first bird. im so ready to take him i cant even sleep.

5 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: today with a newbe 2009/04/12 23:19:19 (permalink)
    Cool, so I guess the trout are safe from you on opening day...at least until after noon.
    zugbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: today with a newbe 2009/04/14 12:41:03 (permalink)
    Remember only junior license holders can hunt on the 18th.....9 year olds are not eligible
    zugbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: today with a newbe 2009/04/14 14:00:51 (permalink)
    although this is how I interpreted what was written in the regulations guide, I've been told that this hunt will also include mentored youth, which means your nephew would be eligible.  I stand corrected, but as with most regulations set by the PGC, this is as clear as mud.  For those of you familar with the 'Peter Principle', I've never seen it more clearly demonstrated than within this organization....
    MuskieBabe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: today with a newbe 2009/04/15 09:00:23 (permalink)
    you're in for a thrill to say the least, only thing that could make it better would be if he was your own. last year took my sister, she was able to hear and see more birds than some guys do in a couple openers, although she didnt kill, she had the gun up and shakin like a dog sh*tn razor blades a couple times, and worked birds until noon. two years ago was asked to go along and call for my friends son. roosted birds the night before, in the woods waiting for fly down, the birds had different plans tho, so we high tailed it around them, set up again, and here they came, three jakes with the first one being a bull, he shot, feathers flew, and so did the birds! he was so excited, and i was proud to be part of it! good luck! 
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: today with a newbe 2009/04/15 10:47:03 (permalink)
    Based on what I read, a Mentored youth IS eligible to hunt on the 18th.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2008/6_huntingrecruitment.pdf

"
    — A Mentored Youth is eligible to hunt during any special youth hunting seasons that apply to any eligible Mentored Youth hunt species.
    (Youngsters under 12 cannot hunt during the Special Antlerless Firearms season in mid-October that is open to Junior License holders because
    antlered deer are not legal game during that season and they cannot possess an antlerless license.)"

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Jump to: