ICE OUT REPORTS???

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/21 19:08:23 (permalink)

ICE OUT REPORTS???

Anybody got any news on local waters?  I drove by Glass , Crooked and Crystal lakes today... all had huge open water and lots of skim ice.

PERCH?  Crappie run after ice out on Burden? 

9 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/21 20:32:17 (permalink)
    Yes NNY, We can get some nice crappies and gills from 2nd as soon as the ice is GONE!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/21 21:43:00 (permalink)
    Wet the canoe in the 2nd burden today.  9 perch and some gills.  only out for half a day.  Yesterday i fished 20" of ice..  
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/22 09:42:16 (permalink)
    North Country Ride:

Yesterday my wife and I took a ride up through Warrensburg (Schroon River looked great), North Creek (Hudson looked great no high water), Indian Lake (guys were out fishing for perch/crappy) and Speculator (snow mobiles all over the place and people were out ice fishing).  Even saw some idiots out on Sacandaga when we crossed the bridge at Northville.
    Most of the streams we saw are receding at a normal rate and should be fine when trout season opens.  Lots of ice/snow on shorelines, but streams looked great.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2009/03/22 09:49:25
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/22 11:19:36 (permalink)
    Wow Ed..  I took nearly the same drive yesterday with Suzi...

The Indian River looked great, Abanakee is opening up in the center where the current pushes, and the south end of Lake George was open wide enough to warrant a few long casts with a Crocodile spoon near the steamships...

We also took up a little drive up the east side of The King and I tossed a big bunny-strip streamer with the 8wt under the bridge at Dunham's Bay...  No pike this go round, but they should be in there pretty thick in the next few weeks.

No action on the fly or the spoons yesterday, but it was nice to see the rivers in such decent shape during the runoff... 

Warren County still has a LOT of snow on the ground, and the Hudson hasn't seen the last of the runoff just yet- but it sure seems like a good start so far without any blowouts or huge rains...

The Upper Hudson above Warrensburg (on the "short cut road" near Cronin's) was PACKED with glacial-like ice chunks...  Literally ten feet thick from where it got all jammed up at ice-out.  It was impressive to think that all that water would end up flowing over the Troy Dam in the next few weeks...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/22 12:19:08 (permalink)
    You do get around jimmy, wish I was up there scouting for spring opener! new addition for 09 flybox and flies i put together for 50bucks.. I'm still not much good nor do I have the materials or patients tying. last week I customized an assorted order and this is what I have ..all these cost only 79 cents each including the streamers !  these boxes blow away the heavier old metal boxes.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/22 13:56:17

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/22 21:20:39 (permalink)
    Backin:  The nice thing about those boxes is that they float if they go in the drink!  I've lost more than one fly box to the rivers over the years.  At least if they float you have a chance to dash downstream in hopes of retrieving it.  Those streamers look like they will do well on the pike & bass.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/22 22:25:38 (permalink)
    yes i dropped a metal large box full of alot of streamers the season before last,, don't know where, but I hope somebody found it rather them rust away in the drink or wherever it dropped. Yes the floating boxes are much better in that they make my vest a whole lot lighter. I consolidate  my vest and so now I have two of these large lightweight boxes ,,hey i bet they would work as floatation packs in my zipped vest pockets should I slip and get pulled in high water?   just kidding , yeah i sometimes like streaming big bugs in the dark when its right,no doubt the zonkers and woolies catch bass too! 
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/22 22:27:38

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/24 12:19:38 (permalink)
    Went by Lake Lonely and Saratoga Lake yesterday. Lonely is melting fast with the main creek open well into the first bay and Bog Meadow Brook opening up a good section of the other end of the lake. Middle of Fish Creek on the north side by the state launch is open with ice toward the shore of both side. On the south side of the bridge it isn't as open but is progressing fast. Main lake is showing signs of softening ice with spots near the creek mouth having some open water. Won't be long now is we can manage so warm weather although the extended forecast is only showing a few real warm days with the rest being highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Won't be able to get a boat on for a little while yet but should be able to fish from the state launch soon. Tight Lines Mates, Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: ICE OUT REPORTS??? 2009/03/25 09:44:24 (permalink)
    I just found some photos that I took last Sunday while driving around the 'Dacks checking on some streams...

As I mentioned, the Upper Hudson near The Glen still has a ton of ice-pack and some snow to melt off before it is all said and done.  With the temps we've had all week, I doubt much has thinned up there.

Here is what the Hudson was looking like on Sunday.  Eventually all this ice will end up as liquid pouring over the Federal Dam in downtown Troy...  Obviously, there will be a lot of 'ice cubes' keeping the river chilly for at least a few weeks yet:

I also took a ride by another favorite Pike spot in Warren County and was sort of surprised to see it all still locked in ice.  I think it will be a little while until I get the boat up there with the 9wt:

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Jump to: