Honest GENERAL fishing report

Author
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/19 23:09:41 (permalink)

Honest GENERAL fishing report

Not looking for spot burning. Just a honest fishing report for the main rivers, lake, or tribs would be appreciated.

Thinking of doing a quick run to the area. Cabin fever big time...... Thanks ahead of time ..... OTH

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...

10 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/19 23:56:39 (permalink)
    Yeah me too, I can get into a trip anyday now..what's cooking in that river?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/20 07:48:59 (permalink)
    while I personally have not been fishing I did talk with a friend who fished weds. The water was dropped to 1,100 on the SR. it is clear and fishing well. fish are spawning so now you will need to trigger an attack. the power co. has done an excellent job of maintaining the levels so fishing can be had instead of the usual blowout conditions. He also fished the western streams which he was not impressed. they have been low and few fish found. He did manage to catch 1 of the biggest steelhead of his life (about 16lbs.) at one stream but it required a sneak approach on his knees. Again he still said not impressed with the western streams and the SR is where the fishing is ...

Snow around the areas (rivers) had melted quite a bit, there is still a lot up in the hill (tug) but if they controll the water like they have it should not cause any problems unless rain becomes a factor.
    Hope this helps ..
    I will again be taking clients up on 3/31 and fishing through 4/5

P.S.
    I will say that the cabin fever has broken and the angling pressure has increased , keep that in mind and if possible fish mid week.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/20 09:08:36 (permalink)
    Thank you for a great SR report rj, so far it is looking like a decent march going into end of march. Even though it is a bit of a disappointment the creeks aren't doing , but that is always the case. I totally agree , focus on the SR, i wouldn't bother with the creeks cause i haven't in decades, i would need a quick tipoff where and which trib the locals are chasin them back into ontario.  Yup, looking forward to trying my luck sporting tackle busting steelies.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/20 10:50:51 (permalink)
    Tuna: Thank you for the report. Glad to hear the power co. has their act together and not stranding fish with blowout water. Sounds like it's worth a shot. Seems like I'm not the only one going nuts around the house.

**** the honey-dew list. Time for a break! Good luck to all and I'll post if anyones interested.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/20 16:46:06 (permalink)
    Tuna,is spot on,have a good friend who guides on the river,we were supposed to fish it this weekend,not worth the trip,so, heading to ohio.Give it till April, then hang on!!
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/21 01:14:30 (permalink)
    Arrived in the afternoon and did my recon searches. Tuna was right on with his report. Once again I thank you sir!

One thing that peeves me is when people B/S about the fishing conditions. "Yea we SLAMMED them all day....." "You should have been here YESTERDAY..." It cracks me up when people talk like that. AAAHhhhh fisherman and the lies told....

SR was too high for my comfort. They reported 1500CFS, but it looked higher to me. Wish I had a drift boat.......    Fished the lake for a while before I froze solid. Good strong wind blowing. Couple of light hits. No hook-ups.  Water is pretty cold. My thermometer said 37.5* F.  Need that   42*----45* or so dirty water.

Anywhoo.... It will be a challenging weekend of fishing and I am starting to forget what a *%$)@%!@# honey-better do it-list is.   Life is good.

BTW: I went down to the lake to watch the shuttle/iss pass over tonight. Pretty neet to see it over the lake and have such a big sky with no mountains or trees limiting the view.

OVER THE HILL

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/21 04:51:05 (permalink)
    I wouldn't say most lie.I fished last Wed for  1 1/2 hrs and went 2/3--1 5# colored male and an 11# dime bright female.The 1 I lost was even bigger.Release was 1150(prob around 2000 in town) and the water had a lil color to it.Kinda slow for me,but for some that might be good for a whole day---the only thing I could get em to go on was blue sacks.I thought w/ the stained water the brighter colors would've done something.There were plenty of fish down low--just wish I'd had more time.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    TRAVI42
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    Monday 3/16 Tuesday 3/17 2009/03/21 15:15:10 (permalink)
    back to back suicide runs. already had plans for tuesday then pops asked to fish monday well i could never say no to him. so fished lower river both days.....mostly lil fish. 7 fish total on monday..only two on tuesday. one being a nice brown on tuesday (my buddies first sr brown) about 6#. also had the largest fish of the day come up like a bat outta hell beaching herself all alone and floppin around only to get stuck on the bank. dont know what she was running from but wow was she full of pi$$ and vinegar! ( she was not caught) i netted her and took her out into some current and revived her and poof and splash off she went. water temp was up to 39 at the bank in the sun....just set thermometer in the shallow water so im sure it must have been a lil cooler deeper out in the run. all fresh fish on large sacs. water was just a lil tinted but good visbility. two awsome days. with the bites comming as the clouds hit.

also got to meet and talk to envoy and dj for a few minutes. very polite fellas. thanks for stopping and saying hello! next time hang out and share some water with us.

well thats it gang. good luck fishin ~travis
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/21 17:44:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the latest reports too.. It is like hard work against those conditions no doubt, I can wait!  breezin freezin and high water, Is a challenge even for locals accustom to such extremes. I'm too far south to make a daytrip. perhaps a week or so it will improve, thanks again.

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Honest GENERAL fishing report 2009/03/21 22:16:19 (permalink)
    Fished Oswego today. High and muddy. Slow on the banks. Lost 1 fish. Driftboats I saw were hooking up in the main channel. A chilly breeze in the morning... My worms froze,  fingers and toes and pole and reel freezing up also,  so I went for breakfast and look around a bit. Went back and Fished in the afternoon and it was nice and sunny. Relaxing day............

OVER THE HILL

Jump to: