jester egg

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/08 00:35:30 (permalink)

jester egg

i think i remember someone posting a pic of a fly called a jester egg or something. its like a glo bug with ultra chenille coming out of it. any help would be appreciated.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

4 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: jester egg 2009/03/08 01:47:24 (permalink)
    thanks marty now anyone know how to tie that?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: jester egg 2009/03/08 03:13:19 (permalink)
    Egg sucking leech?
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: jester egg 2009/03/08 06:34:47 (permalink)
    Kyler - Here's the link to the Herr's Jester fly I posted a while back: http://forums.fishusa.com/m_38172/mpage_1/key_jester/tm.htm#38497

One night when I was tying glo bugs I tried putting some chenille in the middle of it and after some trial and error I kind of came up with this. I posted it and after some discussion some guys thought it looked like one of those hats clowns wear when they are entertaining - called jester's. So I decided to call this one "Herr's Jester". The tutoral I posted did not include any pics so here are some new ones.  The Jester is kind of a maggot fly and glo bug combined. They work just fine on steelies. In fact I sent a dozen to a guide I know in Alaska just off Bristol Bay and he told me they are successful up there on the rainbows. But then those rainbows just sit behind the salmon and eat just about anything that even looks like an egg. Good Luck Buddy! Hope this helps you out!

Hook - Daiichi 1150, size 14  or equivalent
    Yarn - McFly Foam or Glo Bug Yarn - color of your choice
    Maggots - Chennille - color of your choice. Watch which type of chennille you use though since some chennille will not melt on the end when you burn it. Instead it will flare up.

1. Start by tying a thin strand of foam about two inches long on the bottom of the hook so that when you trim the foam there will not be a gap under the hook.

2. Cut two full pieces of McFly foam about two inches long and slightly spread the foam apart. Cut two pieces of white chenille and one piece of red about two inches long and "sandwich them between the two pieces of foam.

3. Place and tie this "sandwich" on top of the hook taking care to make sure that the thread overlaps itself as your wrapping. Cinch down on the thread evenly and tie off.

4. Now you have a bunch of McFly foam tied on the hook which needs to be trimmed. The usual method of tying Glo Bug Eggs is to grab the entire bunch and trim it off in one cut. You cannot do this since you now have the chenille tied in. Instead - first cut off the thin strand you tied on the bottom. Cut this off even with the vise head or about 3/4's of the hook gap. Then separate the foam from the chennille and cut down tight to where the chennille is tied in. You will have to make a few cuts to do this. Afterwards you can trim it to make the round egg. 

Trim the chenille about 1 inch long and with a bic lighter melt the ends giving the chennille a maggot look.

post edited by steely34 - 2009/03/08 06:48:44

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: