dipsy divers and trolling speed

Author
krafish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/11 13:05:42 (permalink)

dipsy divers and trolling speed

Having problems with dipsy divers, they won't open. I have tried to adjust them (loosened the screw and opened the notch), but they won't pop open. Fight bringing dipsy into boat. Also, what speed is everyone trolling at? Couldn't get a hit when trolling at 2.5. Just put a bag/shoot out and slowed to 1.5 but having trouble with the bag hitting lines. Any suggestions??

7 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/11 13:19:15 (permalink)
    Tie the bags off the front of the boat and shorten the rope. Be sure they are not long enough to get into the motor.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/11 13:41:42 (permalink)
    Bags should be on the sides of the boat not behind it.

As far as gettin em to snap...What kind of line are you using.  Mono on dipsys is almost a definate NO NO.  It can be done, but its hard to pop em.

A brand of braid with a long rod with a steady back end will really open your eyes to dipsy fishing.

If you are using braid and proper rods.  Sometimes dipsys get a little burr on the weld on the wire part.  This goes in and digs into the plastic part in the release.  You could take the screw out and still almost never release it.  Check for burrs and take a fille to any you may see

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    krafish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/11 16:39:59 (permalink)
    Carpet Bagger: Thanks for the info. I am using braded line and 8' trolling poles. I will check for the burrs and use a file on them just in case. As far as the bag, the directions said I could use it under the boad, but I guess I was too concerned about the motor. I will shorten the ropes and give it a try. I have a 21' Lund and it seems to steer poorly if the bag is off the side. I can get the boat to run at about 2.5 without the bag, but with smooth water (even though we have very little in Erie), it tends to run a little faster. Thanks for the advise.
    pudge1970
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/11 21:41:58 (permalink)
    You should run two bags, one on each side of the boat. Otherwise the boat will be hard to steer because the drag from the bag on the one one side. When you try to "pop" the dipsy's it should be a quick "snap" of the rod tip while pulling back. 
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/11 23:58:07 (permalink)
    If you have a 21pitch prop changing to a 17p will reduce speed from 2.5 down to 2.0 a 19p would be about 2.25
    Go to a larger diameter if the lower unit will hold it and be sure not to over rev the engine.

This might be easier than using bags.
    To find what speed a prop will run:
    2.5/your prop pitch then multiply smaller prop pitch
    if you have a 17p going 2.5mph and change to a 14p it should go 2.05mph at same rpm

Wide open throttle will be very high RPM/do not over-rev

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/07/16 11:29:03 (permalink)
    When you reel in your dipsies do you notice if they are tangled or not?  Sometimes, if you let them out too fast, they will helicopter down through the water column and get tangled.  They will look like they are running ok for the most part, but you will be unable to release them.  With braid, you should be able to release them with a quick snap of the rod tip.  good luck
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: dipsy divers and trolling speed 2007/08/07 15:27:33 (permalink)
    Watch changing your prop you have to make sure your engine rpms are withing safe operating range. Run a bag on each side tied off to an aft cleat and stop them just short of the transom. There should be no way they could make contact with the prop. This will also help control your boat in rougher water due to higher rpms to get to a good speed.
    Jump to: