Author
snaggy777
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/27 20:55:39 (permalink)

Suggestion to all fly tyers

Hello all,

I am writing to ask for a few favors....partially for myself, partially for existing users, but also to make these new forums pretty packed with content to drag in more users from around the net.

Could we get the flytiers who know how to tie please post tutorials on making your favorite patterns, as well on even covering the basics of supplies, etc?  Even basic patterns to get started?

I have been wanting to start this hobby for some time now, but every resource is across the net.  I, like most users here, would love to see a lot of information contained within the site, and users from other sites coming into fishusa for info; instead of the opposite.

I know this might even be considered a *insert bad word here* type of thing to ask, but, it would be a load helpful; instead of clicking a zillion links.  I also know there are a lot of other sites dealing with flytying, but this is the only board for fishing I go to.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

8 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/27 21:11:27 (permalink)
    I'll post the flies in steps I tie for the swap.  Maybe others could too.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/27 21:55:13 (permalink)
    My camera sucks! Although I do plan to do some tutorials in which a friend is gonna use his Nikon to photo them, we almost need a place to lock them in though or they will get lost in the shuffle. As soon as I get some video editing software I plan to do some live ties, maybe on youtube. I dont know how keen dan would be on hosting a tying video. Videos suck up space.

We need... a place to keep them all
    And
    A request box!
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/27 23:55:29 (permalink)
    A tutorial forum/gallery would be a cool thing.
    (OxyBob flies excluded.  Nobody needs to see those things being made)

We are going to have to start a "Digital Photographic Technology for Jeremy" fund.  I'm tired of reading that excuse.  Show me the patterns!!!
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/03/27 23:59:34
    snaggy777
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/28 00:09:53 (permalink)
    Or, we could get something to embed(after it is submitted and a moderator accepts it), video directly from youtube(I have done it and it is all over the net as of now).

As for the pics and the tutorials, I think the easiest way to handle this is to simple seperate the steps of your tutorial in seperate replies.  This then allows for the one pic per post and it can be seperated, but uinder the same main heading for the tutorial.

And thanks for the quick replies guys...I know anyone into flies would rather go through the forums and see members helping memebers than to go all over the net to try to get help.  You really make the site work.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/28 08:29:38 (permalink)
    Hey, if you guys wanna buy me a camera, ill do a pattern every week,lol! Did you get your sculpin yet? I think Skip said he got them, hes prob out there fishing yours as we speak.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/03/28 10:08:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Did you get your sculpin yet? I think Skip said he got them, hes prob out there fishing yours as we speak.

I'm holding it Hostage   He will get it in May..... Got it Tim????????

LOL

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/04/16 21:17:50 (permalink)
    good idea guys i myself could use all the help and hints i can get. but as i have said before here is a fantastic site for any  tying level until we get one going.
     flyanglersonline.com.Check this iste out fellas and gals i am pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Suggestion to all fly tyers 2007/04/22 12:04:43 (permalink)
    Here's some links for both articles I've done on tools and gear for tying as well as the link to my tutorials page.  Once my commercial orders are done, steelhead season is over and I get back from Team USA trials in Michigan,  I will get back to work on new tutorials.  

Tools: http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/tyingtools.html
    Tutorials: http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/flytutorials.html
    Article on vises: http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/TheJvice.html

The last link details what I look for in a vise wrapped-up into a review of the vise I had built for me.

Jump to: