Auger drill conversion kits.

Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/08 12:43:38 (permalink)

Auger drill conversion kits.

Anybody have any luck with these, I'm thinking about getting one but wanted some ice angler input 1st.

Thanks,
Jeb
post edited by JEB - 2009/01/08 12:44:07

21 Replies Related Threads

Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 12:59:53 (permalink)
    If you are talking about the ones to use a cordless drill with your auger, they aren't the ticket. I have an 18 volt drill(2 batteries) & an 8" auger(brand new). I was lucky to be able to drill 5 holes in 6" of ice. If you have a brute of a drill or a smaller diameter auger, it might work. If you want one, I'll sell you mine for1/2 price.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 13:18:36 (permalink)
    Using one to drill a 4" pilot hole before using a larger hand auger might make it easier and faster.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 13:23:30 (permalink)
    How about hooking an inverter up to your truck battery, snowmobile battery, or quad battery, and using a regular drill?
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/08 13:29:53

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 13:45:01 (permalink)
    Not too many places in Pa you are allowed to have any kind of vehicle on the ice.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 13:47:10 (permalink)
    I ice fish in NY alot and I take my truck on the ice all the time.  Granted, the ice is usually between 8 and 24 inches...  Hard to find that kind of ice anywhere in PA, but I think you would probably be fine with a quad... 

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/08 23:48:31 (permalink)
    If you find some PA waters you can use a quad on, let me know I've been looking for a long time.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 08:50:34 (permalink)
    Check out the regs for Erie, I thought at one time you could on PI Bay.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 10:12:27 (permalink)
    I don't really ice fish much in PA, but if you aren't allowed to take a quad or snowmobile on the ice, that is just ridiculous.  Why wouldn't you be allowed to?  Someone told me once when I was in Maine that up there they didn't allow quads or snowmobiles on the frozen lake because if it fell through, it would pollute the water with gas and oil.  But, come one, have you ever seen how much gas and oil a two-stroke engine puts in the water?  Some of the older outboards leave an oil slick behind them...  Seems like a spurious argument to me...  There are 1000 times more old outborads than there are quads falling through the ice...
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/09 10:13:21

- T. Fleming
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 11:13:27 (permalink)
    The problem is with drunk stupid people. NOt the resposible ones who would not take a quad out on 3" of ice.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 11:26:51 (permalink)
    Even so, you could make that argument about anything.  The Commonwealth of PA hasn't outlawed driving because some people drive drunk.  A drunk guy with his quad on the ice is really only a danger to himself and anyone stupid enough to ride out there with him.  A drunk driver is a danger to anyone on the road...  It makes no sense.  Why does it matter if you fall through the ice with your quad or walk out and fall through the ice yourself?

- T. Fleming
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 11:33:53 (permalink)
    It is unlawful to operate a vehicle on
    Commission property on (a) roads not open to
    the public, (b) in a negligent or reckless manner,
    (c) in a manner that obstructs or impedes public
    access to driveways, access roads, and launch
    ramps, (d) in a manner not in conformance with
    the posted traffi c control signs or devices, (e) on
    forested areas, grasslands, wetlands, and lands
    under cultivation, and (f) on frozen lakes, ponds,
    rivers, or streams. The use of off-road motorized
    vehicles, including trail bikes, Tote Gotes, all-terrain
    vehicles (ATVs), air-cushioned vehicles, track
    vehicles, hydrofoils and the like, is prohibited.
    • Snowmobiles may be used on Commissionowned
    or Commission-controlled property that
    has been designated for such use by the executive
    director and is so posted. The operation of
    snowmobiles on frozen lakes, ponds, and streams
    is prohibited.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 11:42:51 (permalink)
    Oh, I believe you.  I just don't understand the "why."  Just another reason I go out of state to fish...

post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/09 11:50:50

- T. Fleming
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 12:25:54 (permalink)
    In the Commonwealth of PA, if you ever have a question about "is this legal" or "is that legal", just assume that it is illegal and there is a massive fine for it.  Even seemingly innocuous things like taking your quad on the ice.  Just assume they are illegal.  That is the best way to avoid hassles and fines.

If you told someone in Upstate NY, or Michigan, or Minnesota, or Wisconsin, that it was illegal to take your quad or snowmobile on the ice in PA, they would die laughing...    

Spend your valuable fishing time and money in another state...
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/09 12:37:49

- T. Fleming
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 13:09:39 (permalink)
    Potential polution hazard pays a big part of why they'd be outlawed! Not to mention the cost of a search in rescue for some idiot wanting to show his friends how brave he his to ride his ATV on 3 inches of slush!

You know, the youtube video producing morrons!

I like the fact we don't have snowmobiles and ATV running around the lake. Ice fishing is a good break for those darn jet skiers!
    post edited by mikeg - 2009/01/09 13:11:43
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 13:15:16 (permalink)
    Mike,

You seem like a smart guy.  How does outlawing quads on the ice make any sense?  In all other states that I know of, people do it ALL THE TIME, without big brother watching their every move.  If you fall through, thats your problem. 

People do incredibly dumb things all the time.  Like I said before, did the Commonwealth of PA outlaw all driving because some people drive drunk?  Why doesn't the Commonwealth outlaw wade-fishing?  I have seen morons wade chest-deep into flood waters.  Twice I have saved people who waded way over what they could handle and probably would have drowned.  Why should they be allowed to wade out in that sort of water?  What is the difference??? 

As for potential pollution, why are tugboats, and barges and commercial boats, etc. allowed to operate in waterways?  They pose a much bigger pollution problem than a quad with a 4 liter gas tank falling through the ice.   
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/09 13:25:03

- T. Fleming
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 14:41:43 (permalink)
       I'm not convinced that they are not allowed on the ice in some places.  JEB's post is referring to commission owned or commission controlled property. 
       I believe there are different regulations applied to: State Parks, National Parks, Army Corps lakes, etc.  For example, I know it's illegal to drive on the ice at Eaton...this is a Fish commission controlled lake.  However, I've seen quads on the ice at Kinzua res. (legally or not I don't know), and on Edinboro I've been speaking to a fish cop while a quad was plowing an ice road just feet away. 
       I would prefer not to have to haul my quad to go ice fishing, but when I'm fishing big water like Pymy, Kinzua, Chautauqua, or Black Lake a quad would be nice.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 14:51:27 (permalink)
    Me too, Bogey.  I only take my truck or a quad out when fishing big water, like Champlian, or Tupper, or Raquette, mostly...  (I wouldn't recommend taking a truck out unless you know the water really well and you know where the channels are and where there are springs, etc...)  I see no need on smaller lakes like Highpoint, etc...  But the mere fact that you aren't allowed to do it on fish commission property seems ridiculous and non-sensical to me... 

- T. Fleming
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/09 15:30:48 (permalink)
    The key to that law is  "
    It is unlawful to operate a vehicle on
    Commission property "

They don't own the lakes only the access points...Had ours on Canadohta during the derby..The pfbc guys were there with no problems..

You can use them on Clear Lake in Spartanburg with no problems...

And if I remember they are legal on PI Bay.. There is just no place to get on the ice that isn't controlled by the state park..You can not even get them off the truck on PI ...One of the yaht clubs was looking into granting atv access at one time....

post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/01/09 15:34:26

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

slider14
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/10 12:42:35 (permalink)
    wow we went from auger attachments to being upset about no vehicles on the ice  lol
     now im confused and foprget what i was gonna say
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/10 22:06:45 (permalink)
    Here is something one this subject that I have mentioned to PFBC. I beleave that the boat launches should have to have some sort of warning barier in the winter. A woman drowned in, I think Butler County a few years ago driving her car out on ice from boat launch. Now I don't know her intent but by the time ice fishermen get done entering  at launches they look like an extension of a road. Now if my life jacket is frayed I pay a fine.I beleave they have a dangerous situation and there should be a warning.
    toddford
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Auger drill conversion kits. 2009/01/15 15:09:56 (permalink)
    never had no problem on sugar lake or canadohta with quad or sled they say you  can but only to transport equipment not joy riding i know a guy that is fish comm i will ask him this weekend
    Jump to: