Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29

Author
Wisdom
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/29 16:44:37 (permalink)

Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29

I went down to Saratoga Lake today and drilled a test hole a few feet from the state launch. Ice was about 4 inches with a slush layer between, there are visible fractors in many spots. I would say at least a week if not two of below freezing weather before it will be safe. I did see a few on Lake Lonely but looked like they were sticking close to where the trail comes out  and not to far from shore. If you haven't seen it yet check out my other post titled "I got a new fly rod and reel for my wife...." It has fishing jokes and a link to some more....Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com

13 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2008/12/30 15:12:14 (permalink)

Hi Wisdom:

Plenty of people out on Lake Lonely today when I drove by on my way to lose at the Racino.  They must be crazy with the high winds or they were catching plenty of fish.

Eagle Ed
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2008/12/30 16:17:38 (permalink)
    Hey Ed, Hoping to get out on Lonely Friday and Saturday maybe Sunday... but if I go out Sunday will have to be home by 4:30 to see my Vikes beat them Eagles...lol Go Vikes!!!!!
    post edited by Wisdom - 2008/12/30 16:18:15

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/02 17:37:56 (permalink)

Wisdom:

Now I know of two Viking's fans (you and my neighbor down the street from me).  If I get out on Lake Lonely Saturday - look for my shabby green Eagle's jacket and I will give you a map of the lake and some pointers on where to fish.  Even a Viking's fan has to eat something besides crow after the game on Sunday.
    Sunday I am officiating a girl's volleyball tournament at Shenendahowa High School and hope to get out of there by 5pm.  I nicely asked Trent Cole and the defense to be nice to A.P. as he has a slight ankle injury.

Eagle Ed
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/02 18:27:02 (permalink)
    Ed,
    I'm thinking bout Saturday but woke up new years day with an abscessed tooth (right side of my face looks like Rocky Dennis) that has keep me home the last two days. Definitely be out there Monday. Thanks for the map offer but know Lonely like the back of my hand. My family ran the boat livery there way back before Tim had it. I'll look for you if I get out there, sure we will run into each other at some point...cheers

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/02 20:52:41 (permalink)
    Wisdom:

Sorry to hear about the tooth, but it might be better on Monday if the weather holds.  Let me know what time you might be out there and I will try to make it.
    By the way, now Billy Perry runs the bait shop on Lake Lonely and lives upstairs.

Eagle Ed

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/03 20:53:03 (permalink)
    Ed.
    Got out on Lonely today. paying for it now (Tooth). Got skunked. A couple of guys were spread over like half the lake so didn't fish my regular spot. If I go out Monday would be sometime between 10 and 12. Don't go real early because tend to stay til sundown. I'll keep an eye out for you. I usually wear red rain pans so little hard to miss....cheers

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/04 19:55:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eagleed

Wisdom:

Now I know of two Viking's fans (you and my neighbor down the street from me).  If I get out on Lake Lonely Saturday - look for my shabby green Eagle's jacket and I will give you a map of the lake and some pointers on where to fish.  Even a Viking's fan has to eat something besides crow after the game on Sunday.
    Sunday I am officiating a girl's volleyball tournament at Shenendahowa High School and hope to get out of there by 5pm.  I nicely asked Trent Cole and the defense to be nice to A.P. as he has a slight ankle injury.

Eagle Ed

Got to give you props, now beat the Giants!!!

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/04 19:57:12 (permalink)
    Wisdom:

I found a third Viking's fan today at the girl's volleyball tournament and he kept giving me the score, as his friends kept text messaging him.  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow @ 8:45am, but should be out on Lake Lonely by 11am.  I know you wear the red rain pants and I will be the one in the torn Philadelphia Eagle's jacket with the big grin on my face.  Hope you can make it, but will undertand if your tooth continues to be a problem.

Eagle Ed

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/05 19:31:51 (permalink)
    Was out on Lonely today. Got out there like 10 - 10:30. Had 3 flags in first 15 minutes, no fish. Stayed out until about 3:30, 9 flags total no fish just beat up and missing minnows. Last time this happen to me on Lonely I dropped hook size and throw on a worm and it turned out to be bullhead beating up on my bait. At least I had flags, guys next to me had none. Well, this is why it is called fishing not catching.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/05 19:40:19 (permalink)

Wisdom:

I was out today on Lonely from 11:30am until 2pm with no luck.  Stayed over near the left side as you come off the trail, but had no flags and no hits while jigging.  Really surprised, as that area produced some large pike on tip-ups last year and I kept busy with perch/crappie/bluegills while jigging last year.  There is a nice 12-15' trough through there with a good gravel bottom (no weeds), but nothing today.
    Thought I saw you across the lake on the point, but was too lazy to walk over.  No one around me was catching anything except the guy in the portable hut who got three perch jigging.
    Started to get windy and cold so I left since I didn't dress for really cold weather as it was so nice when I left in the morning.

Eagle Ed
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2009/01/05 20:02:15 (permalink)
    Thought that might be you over there but your jacket looked blue through my binocs and was to lazy to walk over to see...lol. Didn't fish last year til mid to late janurary thinking might be to early. I sure it will pick up.

Nikki84
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2010/02/16 19:37:55 (permalink)
    Looking for someone that is willing to donate or sell a few fish to me. I am a wildlife rehabber for North Counry Wild Care. Currently we have a Bald Eagle in our care that would love a couple fresh fish. He has been eating rodents for the last month or so and I am sure he would love something from his natural diet. He was caught in a leg trap near Sacandaga lake and is fighting an Ecoli infection is one of his talons. He is currently being rehabbed in Saratoga Springs. You can see a pic of "Big Boy" here at our Groups Face Book page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=277874743920&ref=ts    Thanks for your time!

Nikki
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Saratoga Lake ice report 12/29 2010/02/17 08:45:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nikki84

Looking for someone that is willing to donate or sell a few fish to me. I am a wildlife rehabber for North Counry Wild Care. Currently we have a Bald Eagle in our care that would love a couple fresh fish. He has been eating rodents for the last month or so and I am sure he would love something from his natural diet. He was caught in a leg trap near Sacandaga lake and is fighting an Ecoli infection is one of his talons. He is currently being rehabbed in Saratoga Springs. You can see a pic of "Big Boy" here at our Groups Face Book page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=277874743920&ref=ts    Thanks for your time!

Nikki

I have 2 lakers from Monday that have been frozen in the bucket outside since then ... i need to clean them today but i would be more than willing to give them to you if you want ... except i am in albany

5 1 8 - 3 3 1 - 0 5 5 1 if you want them
    Jump to: