Spinning rod question

Author
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/17 14:01:53 (permalink)

Spinning rod question

I am overwhelmed by all the choices available out there when its comes to buying a new spinning rod. Currently I am fishing with ugly sticks which I think is working against me. I have researched countless sites and magazines but they all seem to lead me to buying various rods for the different styles of fishing. I am targeting largemouth bass with this rod. I mostly fish with artificial worms and topwaters. Is there a rod that can do both effectively or do I really need to buy 2 rods. The other thing that throws me is the sensitivity and action of the rods. What do I truly need to get the most out of my time fishing. I should also say that I am a shore fisherman and fish in areas with lots of weeds, cattails, and lily pads. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and Im sure to some this is a silly question but I for some reason am just not getting it. Thanks fellas.
post edited by STEELYS MANFISH - 2008/12/17 14:03:36

11 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/17 16:44:14 (permalink)
    I'd suggest something in the realm of a 6'-6" to 7'-6" Medium weight, fast action.  I started fishing alot of plastics and topwater this past summer, and having a fast rod made a world of difference.  I've got a pretty cheap setup that gets the job done great, though it is a casting setup.  6'-6" medium weight, fast action Rapala Sportsman Classic.  Picked it up at Gander for $15 when I decided to learn to use a baitcaster.  Its sensitive enough for me to fish small rapalas (size 5 or so), and catch panfish, but it's got the backbone to fling a good heavy tube, or a gangly Carolina rig a long way, and to fight and land a 22" 6+ lb. largemouth this summer with no problems at all.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/17 17:09:11 (permalink)
    i prefer 2 different rods.  a fast action for plasyics and a medium or med/fast action for topwater.  you want the most sensitivity for the worm rod.  the ugly stick should be ok for throwing topwater.  i also like to use a superline for the plastics, this also increases sensitivity.  a med-heavy power rod will do you good to get the fish out of the weeds fast.  7ft also will give you leverage and extra casting distance.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 00:17:58 (permalink)
    steelys, i use a 6.6 medium-fast st. croix spinning rod for throwing raps and shadraps for both smallies and big mouths. have no problems with hooksets.  if i had a 7 footer in medium action, i would definately use that.  mine is a med. lt and the tip isn't too good for driving a hook home in a bass.

rjc003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 01:02:52 (permalink)
    I'd go with a 6'6"-7' medium power, fast action
    My choice of rod is G. Loomis followed by St. Croix

Tight lines!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 07:58:50 (permalink)
    If it were me I would also opt for 2 rods. I like a medium heavy fast action rod for worms, soft plastics in general. I like to be sure I'm putting the hook home, especially around vegetation or any kind of cover. A m/h will also enable you to get the fish moving away from the cover more quickly.
    As far as topwaters, a medium fast action will do nicely.

If your set on one rod, the medium fast action will do most of what you want it to.

Keep in mind that just about all I do is bass fish, and I own wayyyyy too many rods.

The brands of rods already mentioned are definately good. I would also check out Kistler rods (www.kistlerrods.com). I own 12 Kistlers and love them all.
    If you check ebay, Kistlers can be had now for 50% off from Simmons Sporting Goods ebay store.
    post edited by ready2fish - 2008/12/18 21:40:13
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 11:31:44 (permalink)
    Gander mountain guide series.  I have a st croix and the only time it ever gets used is when the fiance goes because she will only use the GM guide series rod.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 14:28:04 (permalink)
    thanks for all the responses fellas, greatly appreciated.
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/18 17:59:24 (permalink)
    Hey Steeley,
    Just gonna put in my 2 cents.My primary rod is a 6'6"St.Croix Med-Heavy power,fast action mated to a Shimano Symetre 4000.I use this mostly on creeks and rivers in my area.Have caught almost anything you can name,I even took it to S.C. and nailed a 7lb LG with a tiki-stick.If I could get away w/it I would buy more St.Croix,but my wife would find out somehow and neuter me.
    Also want to say thanx for getting the league set up this year,wish I coulda done better but someone should be warm this year regardless.I will definataly be in again next year.
    MERRY CHHRISTMAS to you and yours,
    AC

STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/19 11:09:44 (permalink)
    AC, thanks for the info. Good stuff from all u guys. Its really helpful to hear what everyone uses. Whether I choose Kistler, Loomis, or St. Croix it  sounds like a med. heavy, fast action in the 6.6-7 ft range is the ticket in regards to all the posts. Im glad I posted my question. Now I just need to figure out what the wallet will allow. I really enjoy fishing for bass and this will be my third year at it, so I still feel pretty new to this game.

AC glad u will be back next year. I had a good time as well and look forward to next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/19 15:59:54 (permalink)
    well fellas went ahead and ordered the St. Croix Avid Series 7ft MH, fast action rod today. will be mated with an okuma v-series. Thanks for the help again. Cant wait to use it!!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Spinning rod question 2008/12/20 18:14:00 (permalink)
    You will be happy with that combo, good choice. If that Okuma does not have a spare spool, get one. I've found that handy when I want to switch to a different technique where heavier or lighter line may be more productive...just a thought!
    Jump to: