Anyone been onthewater lately?

Author
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/16 18:19:59 (permalink)

Anyone been onthewater lately?

Have not been out............anyone else hitting any of the local waters.........anyone braved the Tully since the kill?

I sure hope some of you fellas hit the Little Schuylkill river....

Vinny

www.2bonthewater.com

23 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/16 18:26:37 (permalink)
    Have not been out in a while...getting the itch REAL bad. Never fished the Little Schuykill...is there a DHALO section on it???                               

I have not been back to the Tully since the fish kill, I would imagine its not even worth it...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/17 13:10:29 (permalink)
    yes there is.............the creek is about 15 minutes past cabelas....off rt 895.......I just spoke with my old boss--assistant regional supervisor for pfbc and he said the creek was not frozen over and had good flow to it.........

wilderness trekker fly shop is located right on the banks  of the delayed harvest area

i might be able to fish the day after christmas---but with any luck that will be on
    penns creek, fishing creek or yellow breeches

www.2bonthewater.com
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/18 18:37:41 (permalink)
    Good luck and have a Merry Christmas.....I'll get out soon I hope...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/23 10:15:23 (permalink)
    I will be fishing Yellow Breeches the day after Christmas............for now that is my idea...........in that area you can also hit Big Spring, Falling Springs Branch and maybe the Letort.........probably hit 2-3, but not 4 creeks.........not enough day light......thinking I will stick with the limestoners............Penns might be frozen over, but 40 degree temps predicted--it might be fine to fish........same goes for Fishing Creek ( near Benton )

Ho HO HO and all that merry jazz.....................
    post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2008/12/23 11:33:41

www.2bonthewater.com
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/23 12:34:32 (permalink)
    2B....Tippy and I are going to be hitting the Little Schuykill closer to New Years.  If you think of it and can get a stream report would appreciate it if you could post back.  Mainly concerned about the water being frozen over or if we warm up being blown out from the thaw.  Thanks.

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/23 15:20:10 (permalink)
    not sure how far you guys have to drive...........but Yellow Breeches might be around and hour or so from SE PA......that always fishes OK to pretty freakin awesome in the winter.........fished it plenty as a kid........with bait and lures..........there wasn't a trip from November through Feb where somebody in the group didn't land a hoss............mechanicsburg exit off 81..............Clarks and Stoney Creeks are out toward Breeches..........I am also thinking Clarks Creek......I will end up wherever the truck stops.............finally have a day to fish and can't decide where to go!!!!

I won't be out that way..........and probably won't be talking to the boss.........maybe the big C could provide an update.........or you can call Wilderness Trekker............their shop is  located at the start of the delayed harvest.........
    http://www.wildernesstrekker.com/            old website
    http://www.riversflyfishing.com/                new website
    570-943-3151
    those guys would be your best bet...........I don't know anybody in the shop and have only been in there one time...........

I was told it does not totally ice over...........the latest I have gone there is  late November........the one pool there has a bunch of fish in it.........bring the midges for that pool.........good luck and let me know how you guys do............I'll post how fishing was wherever I end up...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/26 19:49:28 (permalink)
    2B...thanks we will let you know how we make out.

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/27 11:02:37 (permalink)
    fished yellow breeches for 15 minutes and took a swim.............it was up.......crossed OK.....fishing along the shoreline.........stepped on a rock that turned out to be huge........and flat.........lifted up my left leg to get up on the rock and the current took me.........slid right off the rock..........did some cool floating manuevers.......grabbed a branch and swung myself into the bank.........got my footing and climbed out.........crossed the creek and stripped in the parking lot...............funny.........almost 3 hours driving.....15 minutes fishing.............CLASSIC.........

hope you guys fared better over the holidays................I did get some very cool gifts from the little woman and my children...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    LehighGuide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/28 11:30:47 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,
    I got an email alert that our site, www.riversflyfishing.com, had been linked to from another site. Sorry for the delay, email us if you need stream conditions in the future. We installed a blog for reports and hopefully this year we will be able to post more reports.

As for the Little Schuylkill, It's ripping right now so anyone interested in fishing shoould keep their eye on the USGS Realtime Streamflow page and not attempt it until the flow is less than 80cfs, currently 250cfs. That's not to say that you can't wade it above 80cfs but it's not really safe for this time of year. The Little Schuylkill actually does ice over from bank to bank and was nearly frozen a few weeks ago. You could bring midges but I'd bring dark buggers, green weenies , and flashback nymphs.

Hopefully this reaches someone before they trek all the way up here.
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/28 12:54:18 (permalink)
    thanks Lehigh Guide, I was thinking about checking it out later this week.

Tippy and Uncle Kevin, any chance of a Cabelas and Little Schuykill on Saturday instead of Friday, I have to watch the little one of Friday.  I think I am going fishing regardless on Saturday, not sure where though. a

Confusion will be my epitaph, as I walk a cracked and broken path.
    LehighGuide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2008/12/28 17:48:17 (permalink)
    No problem, just keep an eye on the gauges. Even though we didn't get a huge amount of snow we had a lot of water frozen in the soil and we're getting a lot of run off right now.
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/01 08:25:33 (permalink)
    LG thanks for the local knowledge.  Will take the water flow target under advisement and make our plans accordingly.  We will stop into your shop if we make the trip and say hi.

Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/01 08:26:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Inukshuk

thanks Lehigh Guide, I was thinking about checking it out later this week.

Tippy and Uncle Kevin, any chance of a Cabelas and Little Schuykill on Saturday instead of Friday, I have to watch the little one of Friday.  I think I am going fishing regardless on Saturday, not sure where though. a

I just sent you a PM

Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/01 08:28:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2Bonthewater

fished yellow breeches for 15 minutes and took a swim.............it was up.......crossed OK.....fishing along the shoreline.........stepped on a rock that turned out to be huge........and flat.........lifted up my left leg to get up on the rock and the current took me.........slid right off the rock..........did some cool floating manuevers.......grabbed a branch and swung myself into the bank.........got my footing and climbed out.........crossed the creek and stripped in the parking lot...............funny.........almost 3 hours driving.....15 minutes fishing.............CLASSIC.........

hope you guys fared better over the holidays................I did get some very cool gifts from the little woman and my children...........

Taking a swim is never fun but with the current water temps that must have been painful.  Glad you were able to get out and back home to the wife and kids.  Happy New Year

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/01 11:21:09 (permalink)
    actually Uncle Kev wasn't too bad....I was layered pretty good up top and had a nice fleece for my outer layer, fleece gloves......under armour.......poly top........the only thing that was slightly cold were my legs......fleece bottoms under cammie pants.........might have to add another layer there.........feet were warm--liner socks with thick wool socks...........I was certainly soaked, yet oddly comfortable............I didn't shiver once......that was first time in years that I took a bath...............would have been nicer to return to form during the summer months though.......

I will say that I wasn't looking forward to crossing back over the creek while I was about 10 pounds heavier!!!!

The wife is off during the weekend........heading somewhere to fish..........heard they stocked the lower tully....nice water there...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    MCL1018
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/20 13:39:48 (permalink)
    hey guys, im new to the fishusa world but am a fishing addict. I have been in western PA for the last four years at college and did tons of steelhead fishing around erie, and also lots of walleye and northern pike along w. the usual bass and trout. I need a heads up on what the hot spots are around York/Lancaster County. I always hit the susquehannock river for some catfish when i come home along w. smaller lakes around York county. I need some good streams, i know about muddy creek just over Normanwood Bridge off of rt. 74 in york co. but where is this lower tully u speak so highly of? and what can be expected out of its waters?...thanks for any feedback

MarkyMark
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/20 15:27:21 (permalink)
    Hey MCL... there's the red ruffy creek along 294 and that muddy mark creek holds a decent bit of trout into the summer
    MCL1018
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/20 16:11:39 (permalink)
    Thanks jim, I have heard of this Red Ruffy Creek, but also heard it smells of foul dead fish
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/20 18:56:14 (permalink)
    MCL

I started the thread.........and I surely don't speak highly of the Tully.............it is just outside of Reading......Near Rt. 222 and Rt. 183...........right below Blue Marsh Reservoir is the start of the lower tully and the special regs area starts just below the spillway..........

that fat kid bumbling around is quite disturbing.........!!!!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    MagicMidgeMan
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/20 20:53:29 (permalink)
    Mcl,

The Tully is what it is. When I say that I mean it has some plus's, for example, it gets some good hatches and is fishable most of the year and there are a good amount of fish. The total downfall is that it lacks structure at least in the spec. regs. area. It is one solid mass of water moving downstream. I am a structure man and the Tully doesn't have much of it. Although, I heard the Army National Guard were going to airlift boulders and drop them at random spots throughout the stream, but that apparently never panned out.

2bon, do you know anything about that?
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/21 19:22:32 (permalink)
    nope on the boulder part............

but there is plenty of ice on lakes in Berks and Montgomery Counties.......

Antietam is over 6.............Ontelaunee is over 5............and Deep Creek Lake is now open for ice fishing >4 inches there..............

www.2bonthewater.com
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/21 21:42:11 (permalink)
    2B....temps are going into the 40's Friday....you have any time? I'm thinking of "BILLS" or something.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone been onthewater lately? 2009/01/22 00:02:49 (permalink)
    hey PAfisher.........

let me say I have been feeling chipper lately.........and using my arm a lot (using mean--reaching for french fries---using my left arm to eat---using the remote control--nothing special or heavy)...........as of right now........it is freakin' killing me............hurts to move it........forearm.......shoulder.........what a pain in the arse........I was able to move it and do a few things I have not done in quite some time.......guess I went a little too far........

Wife is working all week.............maybe I can bring the kids up..........let them fish with BAIT..........bill will love that..........heading back home on the weekend.......to look at a house and attend a party........ice fish--friends will be drilling holes.............

next time the wife is off during the week, maybe I can come up...........but, we need to get packing........hopefully be in a new shindig by March...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: