Centerpin Reel Augmentation

Author
Rod Man
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/11 21:56:36 (permalink)

Centerpin Reel Augmentation

EJA pmed me and asked about rubber band and duct tape  mentioned on a previous form. Thought this might make a good topic for all to share any modifications they use to make CP easier.

Rubber band - take a medium rubber band and double it behind the reel on the rod handle. When you are walking or making major changes to your outfit loop one of the coils of the rubber band about one of the handles of your reel = no more accidental  line spinning off your reel and causing a tangle. You don't even need to put the clicker on if you do this.  If you see tommybanzai thank him for the idea as that is where I learned this (I am sure others already have been doing this but it was new to me -thanks Tom).

Duct tape - there is no trick - see below I think this is where this came from.

Insulate your CP Reel  -   I guess I am a Pansy as my reel hand gets cold pretty quickly so I put double sided carpet tape on the offside of my reel along with the front edge - non spool side - where my hand and fingers touch it. Then stick some thin non water absorbing foam to it and you have insulation protecting your reel hand. You will notice you only need a small area covered. I got my foam with a nice plastic coat on one side from packaging material. Yes it will sticky up your reel when you remove it in the spring but that is what GOOP is for (maybe I won't even bother to remove it!). It has more than doubled my time between freezing out my reel hand.

Any additional good ideas to share?

5 Replies Related Threads

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Centerpin Reel Augmentation 2008/12/12 18:21:55 (permalink)
    The rubber band tip is the best one rodman gave me and also taping the rings on my rod. First day I fished with you guys you told me to tape the rings and I said oh I've been fine without and sure enough about 3 hours later my reel fell off, luckily I caught it but man I went home and taped the rings, no more reels falling off. So I would say if you dont have a reel seat and have sliding rings TAPE THE RINGS!!!
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Centerpin Reel Augmentation 2008/12/12 20:55:02 (permalink)
    I found a piece of the Bear brand felt to use on the grip of a bow. It is self adhesive felt. Has anyone used this on a bow and does it come off without making a mess?

If it will not leave a mess on the centerpin reel i was thinking about using that to cover the backside of the reel.

Also does anyone know where i can get a roll of the lead tape that is used to balance tennis rackets. I would like to use some of that material to see if i can get my outfit to balance better at the reel grip spot.
    post edited by davef - 2008/12/12 20:57:06
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Centerpin Reel Augmentation 2008/12/12 21:23:25 (permalink)
    instead of rubber bands, I steal my wife's pony tail holders.  Much more durable and they come in a variety of colors.
    Rod Man
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Centerpin Reel Augmentation 2008/12/12 21:55:09 (permalink)
    davef
    I would shy away from felt or anything that can take up water.  Also, check where your hand/fingers touch the reel and only cover the part you touch.

troutman
    I tried ponytail holders but I like the thinness of the rubber band and its increased stretchiness. You are right I only get about 10 trips out of each rubber band and always have a few spares - they often get given away on the stream. Whatever works and doesn't get in the road is the ticket.

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Centerpin Reel Augmentation 2008/12/14 12:19:25 (permalink)
    This is more of a terminal rig idea.  Some guys carry different shot lines and blend them into their leaders, you can rig them up at home and carry them on walleye leader spinner wraps.  While i don't carry shot lines i will rig leaders up with hooks already snelled into them at home.  I like to fish multi hook rigs in the winter, i prefer to keep the egg sacs or minnows on the top hook then a fly or jig or some soft plastic on my bottom hook.  Its just a little time saving thing when your out fishing if you have 4 or 5 ready to go, just tie into your main line with a swivel of knot and load up with shot and your ready to go.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: