Smoke house/deer processor...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/11/30 02:16:35 (permalink)
Well, I've seen in my OWN EYES a 207 lb live weight on a scale in Beaver County in 1990. It was the biggest doe I've ever seen, biggest any deer I've ever seen period. The guy who shot it is now a minister in Georgia and his father we still keep touch with.We cut it up ourselves. 150# is not out of the ordinary, but exceptionial for this area.

Anyway, what Nightowl said is true. You do not get the true experience by sending it to a processor. I have done it so many times in the past because of work, family, and other commitments and have regretted it every time. The only way you get all the meat that you DESERVE is when you do it yourself. Many processors give you a mixed bag of what was once your animal.

I shot a buck that field dressed at 160 lbs. I shot it during archery season 2001. I got a 30 lb paper bag of hair covered crap/mix of what I told him what I wanted. It cost me $70. Guess what, he is out of business and he USED to have a business in Finleyville but thank god no more. My neighbor is now a retired Wal-Mart meat supervisor. I am in good standing with him.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/12/01 21:49:57 (permalink)
yeah was it in a freaking pen? i live in beaver county...
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/12/02 21:10:23 (permalink)
I lived there too Bull since I was an infant. Moved away in 1990 but went back to hunt on that farm within a mile of SGL #189 for another 10 years or so. I stopped hunting there after the farmer named Marnhowe died and his son opened it up to everyone making it a Co-op farm management area. The last year I hunted there I came across 9 gut piles on a Wednesday midday drive, I stopped going there after that.

No, it was not in a pen, just a private farm that had only 30 hunters or so with permission. Now anyone can go there. Still the biggest doe I've ever seen.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/12/03 00:13:10 (permalink)
I doubt you miss out on all that much if you dont butcher your own deer.  If I dont have the knowledge, space, or time to do it myself, isn't it better to pay someone who does?  I understand that there are bad processors out there.  There are bad doctors out there too, but I'm not gonna start operating on myself!

Saying I'm missing out on the total experience of hunting by not butchering my own deer is the same as saying I'm missing out on the total experience of driving because I dont replace the engine and trasnmission in my car by myself.
gobyking
Pro Angler
RE: Smoke house/deer processor... 2008/12/03 01:36:03 (permalink)
You are right Dane. But don't tell someone there aren't large doe or buck out there for that matter. That is just either a bad area, bad luck which we've all had in not seeing deer, or incompetance. They are out there.

I wouldn't want to work on a transmission either.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: