Oak Orchard

Author
steelie30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/12 08:16:59 (permalink)

Oak Orchard

my father and i fished the oak on the 5th and 6th.  both days were extremely slow.  landed 5 throughout both days.  the guys arounds us were not faring much better.  just does not seem to be the amount of brown trout in the oak as there used to be.  the stream conditions were not exactly favorable, nor were they horrible.  the oak was running a bit clear and still did not see many browns.  i will say that there were a couple beauties landed (over 10#). 
spoke to a local angler and he concurred that for the past 4-5 years, the brown trout numbers have been diminishing.  not sure what is going on out there.  we were not disappointed that we went because you never know...one good drift could bring you the fish of a lifetime. 

21 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/12 10:47:46 (permalink)
    Yeah- I have been hearing the same thing about the Browns in the Oak...

But you are also right on target with the fact that any drift, at any moment, could bring a fish that will keep you smiling and telling 'fish stories' for years to come...

Here is a beauty that came out of the Oak a few years back on a tiny beadhead nymph...  My buddy Pete sightfished it with a spey rod, and the resulting battle was epic.  This fish was not coming to hand no matter WHAT!

It is no record-breaker, but easily the most beautiful trout I have ever seen...  Of course, it went right back in the Creek after a few pics... 

LONG LIVE THE ONTARIO BROWN TROUT!!!!
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2008/11/12 10:49:41

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    steelie30
    New Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/12 11:33:12 (permalink)
    boy, that's a beautiful brown!!  just love those spawning colors.  not sure what we are going to do next year.  we have been making an annual trip to the oak for the past 7-8 years.  18 mile gets plenty of brown trout, but it is very difficult to enjoy that type of shoulder to shoulder fishing.  if the reports do not get any better, we just may have to seek out another state....michigan comes to mind.
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/12 18:17:50 (permalink)
    I think that until a 1 brown limit is enacted in the tribs and on the lake, we are never going to see the brown runs of the past. Without starting a war here, the charter captains hammer the browns from April til August. They are ver easy pickins' close to shore. And who can blame the people who spend $600 bucks on a charter? Then when they enter the tribs, they are mercilessly slaughtered for their gold. These fish are shown no respect by a lot of people. This needs to change ASAP.
    steelie30
    New Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/13 10:06:08 (permalink)
    steelie guy,

i heard one angler speak about catching them close to shore about 3 years ago.  this is something that i would definitely be interested in.  i had no idea about the charter boats.  i do see fish being hauled out of the oak.  it seems that there precious few in the oak and it is sad to see anglers taking every one they land.  don't get me wrong, i still see alot of catch and release anglers, as well.  is there any way i could coax some information out of you on where to fish in those summer months??  is it even possible for a fly rodder to fish the lake effectively??
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/16 16:56:27 (permalink)
    Just got back from oak.   Managed a fair amount of browns but no real monsters. I got 4 yesterday morning with none being over 20 inches and none over 25in. the whole trip but seen some nice ones landed. Had alot more luck with steelhead.  One of the guys i met told me the same thing that the run is nowhere near what it used to be and the guys i went with told me they used to do very very well...

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/17 16:37:02 (permalink)
    Neversink   Nice fish. Even if the numbers are slightly off this year; so far, where else can we land such nice Browns within a days drive of most places? Makes us yearn for the next trip and what just might be the fish of a lifetime. Had a pleasant suprise when I got home. The Rapala scale that has been in use for years has been inaccurate for some time. We weight the fish in the net and then deduct the net for a less stressful released fish. The 12lb.2oz. fish was rechecked at home on a legal meat scale and really weighed 13lb. 4oz. Plus the fish had been dead for almost 2 days on ice waiting for the tax. shop. Most fish are returned to swim again; but a few are now on display on a wall. Again, nice fish!!
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/17 17:47:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: henhouse

Neversink   Nice fish. Even if the numbers are slightly off this year; so far, where else can we land such nice Browns within a days drive of most places? Makes us yearn for the next trip and what just might be the fish of a lifetime. Had a pleasant suprise when I got home. The Rapala scale that has been in use for years has been inaccurate for some time. We weight the fish in the net and then deduct the net for a less stressful released fish. The 12lb.2oz. fish was rechecked at home on a legal meat scale and really weighed 13lb. 4oz. Plus the fish had been dead for almost 2 days on ice waiting for the tax. shop. Most fish are returned to swim again; but a few are now on display on a wall. Again, nice fish!!

Absolutely correct!  Fishing is still good enough for me to keep going back!!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/17 21:09:02 (permalink)
    You got that right, Fellas!   But now you've got me planning a Friday night drive from Albany...

Jeeeezus- I guess the browns are in!

Toss up some Oak Orchard Brown pics if you find any fish this Fall!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 15:49:59 (permalink)
    Just came back from the Oak today.  Fished from Sunday morning until about 11:00 a.m. today.  In that time I saw 1 salmon, 1 brown and 3 small steelhead landed.  Very few guys hooking up.  The river was going up and down each day, except for today.  Yesterday they dropped it really low in the am and you could see just about every rock in the Archery pool, but no browns or steel, just a couple of dying salmon.  Quite a disappointing trip, especially after the great fishing a few weeks ago. 

Just about everyone I talked to had the same story.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 17:47:08 (permalink)
    just got back as well. was not impressive landed some fish but not as many as past trips and people were insane. I hope I never get used to the attitudes of people up there.

We normally walk well away from people and we forgot some stuff in the car. I went back to retrieve it and rejoin my group. I followed 4 guys from ohio (hope they read this) down to where we were fishing. Before they got there they were nice enough to ask if we were fishing in this location and said they would go somewhere else, yah right. One guy replied I didn't walk all this way to not fish. So 3 flyfishermen got surrounded by 4 pinners using bait. Got to watch them kill a steelie for it eggs, to bad it was a male so they tried to release it about 20 minutes later. Watch them take every female they caught to use their eggs for bait. Great group of guys. Stuff like that is what depletes runs when they are killing all the 1-2 year old fish.
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 18:10:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jkbugger

...and people were insane. I hope I never get used to the attitudes of people up there.

That's interesting.  I've only been to the Oak 4 times, but I have to say that each trip, not counting one trip in salmon season, the folks that I encounter have been the best of any great lakes tribs.  They have been friendly, often share "secrets," make room for folks to fish holes, actually pull in when someone is fighting a fish and don't bad mouth people when they accidently snag a fish.  This is totally different than I've personally seen on the PA Erie tribs, the Salmon River, Burt Dam and the NY Erie tribs.

I've seen two bouts of bad behavior, the worst was a guy that spent more time yelling/swearing at his wife and kid for the way they were fishing, which ended up with the guy back handing his kid in the mouth and another instance when a guy punched another guy in the mouth for not getting out of his way when he was trying to land a snagged salmon.

Now the PA Erie tribs has something like this about every other time I go there.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 18:37:52 (permalink)
    heres some pics from our trip last week...

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 18:52:41 (permalink)
    I must say everyone i met was very very nice!  I like to talk to guys and find out where they are from and shoot the bull and everyone was very willing to.  I ran into a fellow i fished with one day last fall on upper elk we must've talked an hour or so and few other fellows from out eastern pa and just random guys up and down the stream and in the parking lot.  They were all super guys alot sharing info they had gained from years of fishing the stream.  Erie alot of times im lucky to get a person to look at me when i try to talk to them.

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/18 20:23:09 (permalink)
    hey glad to hear uns did good i talk to mark last nite and he said u stop in and said you did well i heading up this weekend  send me and pm if you would    thanks   zach
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/19 18:04:48 (permalink)
    pm sent

ztroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/11/24 08:58:51 (permalink)
    For those of your who plan to make a long trip, be sure you have a local connection giving good reports.  We headed up and fished Friday and Saturday (Nov. 20-21) and only had one fish on the reel on Fri.  Sat. was better with us landing 7 and losing a couple between the two of us.  There are some fish, not in any numbers though.  Still sad to see trout fisherman snagging and lining. You would think with the salmon snaggers out of there, there would be some ethical fishing.   I did see a couple of guys just below the dam on the parking lot side who were centerpin drifting eggs and they were connecting.  Fly fishing guys did not have as good action and as I said, from what I witnessed, most fish were foul hooked, landed and quite a few killed. Three guys on the old bridge structure just below the dam on Sat. afternoon were rediculous; lining, snagging.  The guys from the Potter Co. camp that fished above me, thanks for a fun late afternoon Sat.  Hope you are as successful on your PA bear hunt. 

Winter fishing is here. 
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: Oak Orchard 2008/12/14 18:20:38 (permalink)
    That is no doubt one nice looking Brown. The Oak was real slow as was 18 ml. this Nov. We spent several days fishing and were surprised how low the numbers were on Browns. Steelhead were almost nill. Don't know why they were slow because all had good water flow. 
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Oak Orchard 2009/01/13 11:00:04 (permalink)
    a

I have become comfortably numb
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Oak Orchard 2009/01/16 10:16:14 (permalink)
    K.K. Do your jigs work on Browns? Can't wait for Oct. to go back to N.Y. whether the numbers are down or not. Two trips last fall and wish it were more. I would have to fish the hatchery in Pa. to catch a 10# plus Brown.  Might try an earlier trip this year to play with the fresher Kings. Don't keep any, but they are fun to hook into. My best Brown last fall was 31" and had a very good girth. My scale was fooling me with false readings, so my guess was around 14#. Should have kept it, but didn't. The last two Browns that I had mounted cost me 575 together. Worth it; but now most of them will swim again.
    troutwizard54
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: Oak Orchard 2009/01/16 15:35:46 (permalink)
    HH, Ya jigs work well on browns and kings, thats all i used on our trip up in Oct. and did really well, white and peach were the 2 best colors. And Koke ill have to stop up and be ya for some of those jigs, lol

The wizard
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Oak Orchard 2009/01/16 18:07:18 (permalink)
    Ya he ties some good jigs do well in ny, and erie with them seems like black, white and peach works the best and did hit one big king with a orange.
    Jump to: