Author
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/06 09:29:24 (permalink)

Anyone get a bird yet?

I did, yesterday morning

A friend called me Tuesday night and he heard a flock fly up that evening. Having only a general idea where the birds were I walked in Wednesday morning and sat down. As it was breaking light I began to hear soft clucks and purrs about 125 yds away. I walked to the sounds and broke the birds, there was about 20 and they went in all directions (he he).

Walked about another 100 yds toward where some flew and sat down. After about 20 mins I begin to hear brids in the trees all around me. About 8 birds flew down and landed on a flat in front of me, it was just too foggy to see them, they were very vocal, I could also hear birds on the fringes begin to call.
I debated on rebreaking the brids in front of me but decided to stay put for awhile as they hung around waiting for others to come.

I let out a soft kee kee and yelp and one answered me about 50 yds to my right, I'm in business!
Next thing I hear is a god awefull crashing coming from the same direction, a doe comes crashing past me at less than 10 yds! Hot on her trail was a buck.....He stopped 10 yds away from me and knew something was up! He was a 7 pt and had about a 15 inch spread, my friend was archery hunting that morning also and my thoughts turned to him as he wasn't too far away, I really didn't want to bump that buck, BUT, as he was standing there a turkey appeared 30 yds away and right in front of me!

The bird stopped briefly, looked my way, the started a fast walk toward me. He disappeared behind a large tree, I swung my gun over, he stepped out and I whacked 'em. The buck crashed off and back the way he came from.

I walk down to my bird. My cell phone buzzes, it's my friend and asks if that was me. I tell him my story and it turns out he had that buck under him right at daylight and he just couldn't tell if it had 4 on one side.

I tag my bird and head out of the woods. Friend calls me later, he saw 3 bucks that morning and enjoyed listening to the "music" of my hunt  LOL.  

Time to take someone else out!

Mine was a young hen, YUM, I can smell it grillin now........ 
post edited by ready2fish - 2008/11/06 09:32:46

22 Replies Related Threads

countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/06 13:31:10 (permalink)
    Got mine this morning... if you get em broke up they seem so dumb without each other!  we set up near a roost and when we heard a few clucks and tree yelps we responded with the same - a hen started yelping in the tree and set off a gobbler three times!  i never heard a gobble in the fall, anyway they flew down away from us but we decided to go after them, we walked the hillside and shortly broke them up and called em in.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/06 21:43:09 (permalink)
    Good job guys!
    Haven,t made it back out since the first day but Sat. may be a good one.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/07 08:06:59 (permalink)
    Shot a nice  hen on the opener.  Busted a flock first thing and called her back in about 30 minutes later. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/07 16:18:06 (permalink)
    Me and a buddy went for a walk last night walked into the woods staring at 20+ birds my buddy shot one they all went haywire I walked about another 30yrds over a rise bam got mine too done in 15mins 2 shots 2 jakes  my license is getting empty real fast 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/07 20:30:23 (permalink)
    Busted!!!!
    I got done splitting wood around 3:30 and threw my camo on and made more noise than a herd of elephants
    getting to were they usually roose. After breaking branches and kicking a nice spot to sit, I,m sitting there 
    less than two minutes and a gobbler lets loose with a deep beller of a gobble!
    I,ve heard them gobble in the fall before, but this dude thought it was spring!
    Now my heart is pounding out of my chest. He is close.
    I hurry and put my mask on and make a nice kee kee run.
    He goes off again.
    Crazy!
    I think its gobbler season!
    Before I know it here he comes on a dead run right at me.
    He stops and eyes me over and the jig is up.
    I wip the Beretta up and shoot.
    I missed cleaner than a baby,s behind.
    I,m sitting there madder than heck that I wasn,t aimed in the right direction.
    I start calling right away just in case there is another close by.
    Wouldn,t you know it, that guy I shot at starts gobbling again.
    I hear him fly up behind me ,
    I can,t move. 
    I,ve heard all kinds of noises from those birds ,
    but never like he was making.
    I waited till it was black out and walked back home with a smile!

grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/07 22:18:53 (permalink)
    mika sounds like a great hunt i have never heard one gobble this time of the year
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/08 10:45:37 (permalink)
    And hopefull Mica'a next story will be about how he got in the woods nice and early, called the bird back in, and put the hammer down!
    post edited by ready2fish - 2008/11/08 10:46:12
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/08 17:28:07 (permalink)
    Gee, I better get out there and get mine! Lately, I've just been walking in the woods..

My girlfriend sends me all these crazy pics of all the turkeys/deer on her dads property.. He lives a good 30 minutes from me, and I'm starting to gain the courage to ask him. He doesn't know I'm dating his daughter, so I better ask him right around now so that he'll cool down and I'll have some time to hunt for deer.. Any suggestions? lol.

I went out fly fishing this morning and heard a few gobblers at a nearby state park. Seemed like more people than usual were out there hunting.. Spotted 5 cars coming in, and 2 leaving.

I'm leaving for Susquehanna Co. that weekend after Thanksgiving for Deer. Wish me luck!

CREEKTROLL3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/09 10:45:41 (permalink)
    I was heading to my treestand at 1:30 yesterday when I heard some yelping.  It was fairly close, so I got behind a tree and listen for about 5min. I wanted to make sure it wasn't another hunter calling or working a bird. After I felt for sure it's a real hen, I dig out a mouth call  and give a few yelps. She responds so I yelp and cluck a few times. She starts coming at a fairly quick pace. I thought she was going pass to my right of the tree I was behind "WRONG" she comes by my left. The adult hen passes by at 15 yrds and I can't do nothing watch as she keeps going. Finally she got behind a tree and I slowly turn around. She about 35 to 40 yrds. I SOFT call and she responds right away,she slowly and I mean slowly heading my way again. I figured it was going to take a miracle to get drawed with nothing in front of me but when she past bye some brush I start to draw. I get to full draw but she stops dead behind a tree!!! So there I'm at full draw waiting,waiting and more waiting. Too much longer and I'M going to have to letup on the bow. I try to make a soft cluck but she holds her ground. So I tried leaning to the right alittle, busted she starts to putt and walk straight away. I spot a small hole in the brush along this mapletree she's at 25 yrds walking staight a way I hold the 20 pin a little high and release. Wack I shot a fine northwestern PA maple tree!!!!!  I was alittle disappionted that I missed BUT very happy with the whole experience. Didn't see a single deer all afternoon that was disappionting!!!
    post edited by CREEKTROLL3 - 2008/11/09 10:47:59
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/09 18:28:39 (permalink)
     Don,t ya love it?!

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/10 20:43:56 (permalink)
    I had a group of ten walk by me while I was in my ladder stand today.  It was cool, since the deer weren't cooperating.  They stayed out at the edge of where I could see.  I hadn't really considered seeing turkies, even tho I know they're around.  Now, I'm gonna look in my rule book and see when the season ends.  If I cant get a deer, maybe I can shoot a bird.  Wonder if you can grunt them in???
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/11 12:30:59 (permalink)
    Seasons over November 22nd.

Got out the first day... didn't see one bird or even any digging. But my brudder got lost so that was pretty funny. I'll be out this weekend. Give er another go.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/11 14:33:35 (permalink)
    DanesDad, be careful, I think it is still illegal to shoot one from a treestand.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/11 19:40:03 (permalink)
    I never new that it was illegal to take a turkey from a tree stand........
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/12 21:11:20 (permalink)
    I didnt actually look, but on another thread, someone posted that it was legal as long as you didn't attempt to conceal yourslef in the treestand-that is, make a blind.  According to that post it has been legal for about ten years.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/12 21:41:43 (permalink)
    Got my first turkey with a bow. WOW those Spitfire Gobbler Getters work great!
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/13 01:19:37 (permalink)
    fathead you got ne pics of it would like to see how those do on a bird
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/16 22:30:57 (permalink)
    Don't have a picture of the damage, But a very large hole and it didn't have any chance of flying! Arrow was a pass through. I shot it when it landed in a tree above me about 50-60 feet from ground, straight up! (This bird was not shot on a roost it had landed in a tree while I was walking to get my bow after tracking a doe)

post edited by Big Fathead - 2008/11/17 22:51:40

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/18 15:44:36 (permalink)
    After a bad bow season for me,no buck,I was in turkey's the last week of archery season but am to cheap to let a $20 plus arrow and broadhead ( Rage) fly.Hunted Mon. in the snow,sat and called and moved about 150 yards and stated to call,looked back to spot no.1 and about 12 hens and jakes are right next to my tree,Turkey's win on Mon. Tuesday more snow and more turkeys, saw 7 feeding on a steep hillside,80 yards away called one hen yelps back but there not coming,so I back off and made a huge loop to get ahead of them,I  go 3/4 up this steep  as hell mountain and sit down after about a 1/2 hour I'm thinking they may have got past me,but then I hear a few little clucks,I soft cluck and purr,bingo momma hen jumps over a big log and bang 1187,10 1/2 LB. dead hen.The next thing was great to other hens followed my tumbling hen down the hill and peck the heck out of it,the jakes fly up and landed in a tree.I tagged my bird and sat down to take a breather and a hen starts yelping,I yelp back and she right there 25 yards a away,sometime I think there the smartest bird there is and sometimes the dumbest
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/18 15:45:34 (permalink)
    I'm hunting in 2B season end Nov 22
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/20 11:47:04 (permalink)
    I got mine the first monday of season a 23ilb gobbler Im not ****ting you, Broke up the flock of 4 gobblers , gobbler clucked a couple of times. 30 min. later he met the business and of my 10ga.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: Anyone get a bird yet? 2008/11/22 15:48:27 (permalink)
    I killed one today the last day! A gobbler about 8 inch beard. Nice bird.... There is a needy family that I know that is going to have a Great Thanksgiving Now!!!  Congrats to everyone that got one...
    Happy Fishing and hunting!!!
    Jump to: