Road Kills

Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/02 18:19:52 (permalink)

Road Kills

Just back from a short visit in Ohio. Traveled on 70 west in Washington Co. and beyond. After hearing all the bad reports earlier of less deer because of CWD; I was very suprised to see a large number of dead deer along the highway. If road kills are an indicator of deer herd size; then I would say the herd in that area is still in good shape. Saw more dead deer in one trip than I have seen in the entire bow season in Somerset Co. Have yet to see a buck or even worse; haven't even heard of one being killed in my area. The non-residents from Maryland who have hunted in my area for at least 30 years and more; have already informed me that they are not buying license this year. Probably not in the future either. Oh well. You reap what you sow!!!!

3 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Road Kills 2008/11/03 04:07:05 (permalink)
    The farm where I hunt in Greene county was hit hard by EHD last year, but the farmer has seen a lot of deer this year.  They must have bounced back quick!
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Road Kills 2008/11/03 05:11:29 (permalink)
    henhouse,

The stretch of I-70 from the Mon river at Speers to the state line is one of the worst sections of highway for dead deer that I know of.  There have always been dozens of road kills at any one time over that stretch this time of year.  Partly it is a health number of deer, partly it is a high number of guys in the woods, and partly the number of cars that travel that stretch combined with the ability of a deer to pop out of nowhere most of the way along that drive.  If you go up I-79 you can see in a straight line for miles in places and if a deer pops out on the road you'll see it.  On 70 there are a lot of high banks where a deer could jump on top of your car before you'd see it.

Thanks,
    Rick
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Road Kills 2008/11/03 11:45:44 (permalink)
    Jump to: