Zonkers

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 20:58:40 (permalink)

Zonkers

Tying some Zonkers for the first time, and I gotta say, they're not as hard as I was led to believe.  So far, I've got 6 done (I'm really slow with any fly), in red, chart, 2 olives, purple, and white..  Might post some pics later on.  Any suggestions?

6 Replies Related Threads

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/20 21:46:45 (permalink)
    Zonkers ain't hard. My variation ---

I begin by clipping off a Zonker strip, with thanks to Br'er Rabbit. I do 1 1/2" - 2" for a #8 hook. (Sometimes I use a 4X hook, sometimes a 6X. The 6X is purtier, I think.) Remember that fur will extend past the hide portion of the strip on the finished fly, so 1 1'2 - 2 isn't too short imho. Make it longer, if you like. You can always trim.

To cut a Zonker strip DO NOT cut through fur. Cut carefully from the hide side with a single edge blade or Exacto knife. Then strip away the fur from a teeny bit of the head of the strip. Then use the blade to trim the bald tip to a point. (This tip will be the fly head, and the bald portion will offer a place for the thread to bite into the leather.)

After wrappoing the base layer of thread, I tie in about 6" of very thin wire protuding over the hook bend. (This will later reinforce the Zonker strip).

Then I part the fur (a little tricky -- the part is the point that permits the Zonker tip to reach just behind the hook eye, and the Zonker tail to dangle swimmingly over the hook bend.) and tie on the Zonker strip at the rear just above the hook barb.

Muy Importante: When you tie on the Zonker strip, you only need five turns. After the first turn, succeeding turns should go back with the flow of the fur. If you go forward, the Zonker will have a cowlick at this tie-in point. After you've tied down the Zonker strip at the rear. take a couple turns around the hook and under the strip to wedge the strip in place. This will help keep the strip from spinning around your hook.

Next tie in chenille at the rear, jamming it as close to the strip tie in point as you can. This also keeps the strrip from slipping. Bring the thread forward. Wind the chenille body and tie off at the head position.

Bring the Zonker strip forward. I've been known to catch the tip with a small pair of needle nose pliers to stretch it as I put a couple turns of thread around at head position. Tie down the head. The Zonker strip should be nice and taut.

Wind the wire forward counterclockwise. About six turns should do it. Take a bodkin and use it to clear a path through the Zonker strip as you wind the thin wire forward. You can also pick the fur out after winding the wire, but the former method gives a better result, I think.

Form a head. Reinforce with a coat or two of Sally Hansen.

You're good to go.

The advantage of my approach, and using chenille rather than tubing, is durability. And I never have to tie off the thread and restart the fly. And chenille offers a wide color selection. And chenille provides indents to bring the reinforcing wire through.

Watch your proportions.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/21 12:19:24 (permalink)
    Any colors that tend to produce more consistently than others?  I know this is always a matter of opinion, but for instance, many people will tell you that olive is a deadly color for wooly buggers.  I've made several olive zonkers with white up front on the hackle.  Then I'm taking a red permanent marker and giving them a smattering of red across the head and underside of the hackle to look like gills.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/21 17:59:23 (permalink)
    Most of my Zonkers are white/white or black/black. I've also used a chartreuse rabbit strip which doesn't seem better or worse than W/W or B/B. The W/W might be a good choice for someone who's handy with a Magic Marker.

Another thought if you use my method (i.e., chenille body) -- when you tie the rabbit strip in its position back above the hook barb, be sure you're tieing it in on a thread base. Your biggest problem at this stage of the fly is getting the strip in position and preventing the rabbit strip from slipping. Tieing the strip on a thread base rather than a bare hook will help.

The traditional mylar tube Zonker body makes a nice looking fly, but is just too time consuming and prone to damage by fish fangs imho. Tiers who use the mylar generally have to tie up the bodies separately, nail polish them and wait for them to dry before appling the rabbit strip. Fine. I just hate to wait a/o dither.

Zonker Hooks -- Another nice Zonker hook is the Mustad 4X with a straight eye. 

luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/21 23:55:53 (permalink)
    I've tried a ton of colors and while I carry some in Sculpin patterns and in Chartreuse, they've always ended up being "just in case" because White has worked well every time.

I tie mine generally on a number 6 streamer hook like so:

1. 6 to 10 wraps of .15 lead wire on the middle of the shank.
    2. Form the body with Red or Pink yarn stopping just shy of the hook bend and about 2 hook-eye lengths behind the eye.
    3. Slide on a body of Pearl tubing, brand of your choice.
    4. Tie down body at bend of hook shank, fraying enough of the end to have fragments sticking out past the bend about the length of the hook gap.
    5. Tie down at head.
    6. Take a Zonker strip about 25%/50% longer than the hook and impale it on the BELLY side of the hook (the same side as where the point is) with that 25%/50% hanging off the back as the tail. No need to tie down.
    7. Tie in a piece of Grizzly Marabou at the "neck" and wrap once or twice, tie off.
    8. Pull your Zonker strip up the belly side of the hook and tie off at the head.
    9. Hit your head thread wraps with super glue, Zap a Gap or whichever glue you like.

Now...if you want a head to which you can add stick on or drawn on eyes, just start with a heavy thread like 3/0 or something so that when you finish wrapping at the end you can build it big enough to take the eyes. There's a lot of debate about if eyes are needed, I personally add them to my Zonkers every single time, so I just make a big thread head (which isn't hard with 3/0 and wrapping over yarn and rabbit!) and glue them on.

Yes, the tail section will come away from the body a bit, but this isn't meant to be a pretty fly, and it WILL still catch fish. With that short tail it won't wrap around the hook often and the fluid motion of the rabbit carries all the way down the strip into the tail anyway.

Why put the Zonker strip on the hook-point side? Because this helps it ride point up and lessens snags. I can confidently cast this into weeds and that pays off.

Why the Red yarn and Pearl body? The final result looks like a minnow flushed with excitement.

I thought I'd posted pictures of this somewhere but can't find 'em. I'll try to get some on here later this week.
    Scratch that, I found 'em. Look about 6 posts down in this thread: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2284&hl=luvinbluegills

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/25 15:23:13 (permalink)
    I find white zonkers slay em on the Elk. 
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    RE: Zonkers 2008/10/25 18:53:58 (permalink)
    Another little Zonker touch to consider -- Y'know when you strip a little fur from the tip of the Zonker strip (to leave a bare spot to tie in at the head)? That little bit of fur can be saved to dub in at the Zonker head. Looks good, adds a bit of bulk and rabbits don't float very well, so it might even add a wee bit of weight when wet. But mostly it just looks nice.

Have to admit I disovered this when I didn't leave enough Zonker strip to tie in at the head and needed a bit of "filler" to keep the proportion right.
    Jump to: