Anchoring in narrow channels

Author
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/20 07:18:23 (permalink)

Anchoring in narrow channels

Hello everyone i finally found the rule for this as a few people have been doing this at walnut this fall. I am not sure who would enforce it but i would assume that it would have to be the coast guard and not the pfbc. Thanks go out to sherry at Walnut for doing her best at keeping them out of there and keeping everyone safe. Here is the rule as posted in this months great lakes basin report. The coast guard reminds operators of small vessels that anchoring in a narrow navigation channel is dangerous and may impede the movement of large vessels, which is covered by federal navigation rules.
                Rule 9 of the Navigation Rules states, "every vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid anchoring in a narrow channel." Coast Guard boarding teams may ask any small vessels anchored in navigation channels to weigh anchor and move.
                While there is no hard and fast rule for what constitutes a narrow channel, one must look at the physical dimensions of the area and the character of use to which the water is put. While a channel may not appear narrow to the operator of a smaller vessel, it could likely seem so to the operator of a large vessel, especially if there were several smaller boats anchored in the area. Larger vessels may enter a navigation channel with the expectation that small vessels will not impede movement. If a large vessel must stop, environmental factors can push these less maneuverable vessels out of the navigable channel and run them aground.
                Rule 9 also states "a vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel that can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway." To determine whether a small vessel represents an impediment to navigation, the Coast Guard might consider the prevailing visibility, the distance to the nearest bend or obstruction and type of fishing gear deployed by the fishing vessel before asking the operator to relocate.  I hopes this clears up the contraversy

5 Replies Related Threads

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Anchoring in narrow channels 2008/10/21 11:28:34 (permalink)
    Am I to understand that the situation that prompted Bucket's post are boaters anchoring in the channel at Walnut Creek marina?

I apologize if I missed the discussion that prompted Bucket's post.

John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Anchoring in narrow channels 2008/10/21 12:11:28 (permalink)
    Not sure where this is coming from either, but that's how I take it.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Anchoring in narrow channels 2008/10/21 12:26:03 (permalink)
    A quick story: person on the NJ coast anchored in a known channel, during a fog and the final outcome was he was run over and killed by a large power boat. The operator of the lg boat was held. Court comes up and he is found not guilty of killing this person. Person found at fault was the owner of the small boat for anchoring in a known marked channel.

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Anchoring in narrow channels 2008/10/22 09:00:20 (permalink)
    I think the channel extends past the wall due to the fact of the water being shallow! If I remember correctly you cannot anchor in a channel IN FACT in these boats anchoring in a narrow channel should try anchoring in the channel to the bay. I don't think the Coast Guard would allow that to happen. Again as I said before it amazes me that these people think that is where you have to be to catch fish! The fish are everywhere!

Captain Wayne
    Hawg Wild Charters
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Anchoring in narrow channels 2008/10/22 21:09:44 (permalink)
    Hey everyone The reason i posted it was i found the actual rule it was in this  months great lakes basin report it was an old topic that was hashed over time and time again. There are many many rules like this the most people dont realize. Good luck catching the steel head this winter Captain Dan and the Crew at Buckets Charters.
    Jump to: