Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son

Author
Langer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/28 17:33:26 (permalink)

Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son

I am planning to go on a long weekend RV camping and fishing trip with my dad (70) and son (11).  Here is what we are looking for.

1) Within about 2 hours (3 hours max) of Doylestown, PA. 

2) RV campsite that allows campfires. 

3) Trout and / or bass fishing.  We are reasonably accomplished trout fishermen, able to prospect trout streams.  Most of the trout fishing we do is lures or bait, although I will also bring a fly rod.   We are not currently bass fishermen, but heck, we weren't trout fishermen at one time too, so I figure that we can learn.  We have ultralight gear, which I assume will be fine having used it to pull in trout up to 21", as well as some older Mitchell spinning reels and fiberglass rods we could bring back into service.  I figure that some of the lures work for both, at least from my experience pulling in bass locally while trout fishing using Phoebes and Rapala lures.

4) Would like to try lake fishing, especially if we could rent a row boat or a small motor boat (we own neither).   Would like to try for lake trout or bass.

5) Would also be interested in hearing any other suggestions. 

So, I am turning to you fine folks for suggstions regarding where to go, whether by name of town, lake, stream, or campsite and even time of year.  I figure that this trip will happen sometime in the next 1 to 6 months, depending largly on timing the right conditions to make it enjoyable and productive for all.

Thanks!
Langer

9 Replies Related Threads

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/28 20:19:51 (permalink)
    Which Doylestown? The one in Bucks County or Franklin County? Seeing how they are about half the state from one another it would make a difference in the responses.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/28 21:06:21 (permalink)
    Old-man Doyle really must have got around.
    Langer
    New Angler
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/28 22:00:30 (permalink)
    Didn't know that there was more than one.

Bucks County

Thanks,
    Mike

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/29 00:49:24 (permalink)
    l ol

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/29 03:00:15 (permalink)
    Langer,
         Try Black Moshannon State park.  The lake is small but there are boats for rent (oars only) also within 25 miles there are Sawyer Dam and Glendale Dam.  There are multiple small trout streams in the area and most of them are in state Game Lands, and are stocked.   Black Moshannon is between Tyrone and State College west of route 99 It's a nice place.  Call way ahead for a campground reservation.  But there are many private camp grounds in the vicinity.  Good luck, hope you enjoy.  Blackie has pike, bass, perch, sunnies, some trout and you might even find a bowfin or a Muskie.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/05/30 01:19:34 (permalink)
    Kinzua might be a little farther than you want to go but it has everything you are asking for.

Red Bridge, Kiasutha and my favorite Willow Bay have campsites
    with fire rings and are lake front or lake view.
    Wolf Run Marina has boat rentals.
    Lots of trout streams in the area.
    During the week there are few people around.
    It is one of the most underused areas I have ever seen.

Ospry nest at Sugar Run

Dad a few years ago.

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/05/30 04:29:39

Langer
    New Angler
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/06/04 19:19:08 (permalink)
    Got a tip to consider Hickory Run State Park.  Anyone have experience there?

Langer
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/07/02 23:54:49 (permalink)
    PGHMARTY, slow down you are motorin past all the big lunge........cool pics, I love that lake.  Stayin at the primitive campground in morrison run is a blast...

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    QuackerSmacker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Suggestions for an RV fishing trip wih dad & son 2007/07/25 12:31:27 (permalink)
    My brother stayed at Black Moshannon State park a few years ago and he has only good things to say about his trip.

P.S. PGHMARTY, I almost got motion sickness, please place warnings of you post pictures like that again.
    Jump to: