Winter Battery Storage/Care

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/30 11:26:47 (permalink)

Winter Battery Storage/Care

Never got a clear answer to this. Maybe someone here knows best. How should I care for my batteries over the winter? I will be storing them in a cool, dry basement. Should I drain them and let them sit? Should I top them off once a month? Or just chuck them down there and don't worry about it?

btw. Hit the Mohawk this morning after work for 2 hours. Only 3 fish to show for it. Perch, rock, and smallie. Walleyes are frustrating me. Here one day, gone the next.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

4 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Winter Battery Storage/Care 2008/09/30 12:44:26 (permalink)
    Store them in a cool, dry basement, fully charged!!! You can't catch them eye's without ME!!!!  LOL 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Winter Battery Storage/Care 2008/10/01 01:31:25 (permalink)
    Don't set them on the concrete directly, make sure they are off the ground. I set mine on wood.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Winter Battery Storage/Care 2008/10/01 02:58:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

Don't set them on the concrete directly, make sure they are off the ground. I set mine on wood.

This was true a long time ago when the charge could go through the rubber case into ground.
    Any modern battery can be set on a concrete or dirt floor without discharging.
    Do not drain- a dead battery forms crystals that will ruin it.
    1. Remove battery
    2. Clean terminals on battery and clamps on cable
    3. Inspect battery box or hold downs
    4. Clean battery-a dirty battery top can discharge cells between the vents
    5. Check fluid level and add electrolyte(battery acid) or pure water if needed. Maintenance free batteries can need fluid
    6. Fully charge
    7. Charge again in a month or two-OK at least once over the winter
    8. Sell old batteries on Craigslist for half of new price in the spring and buy new Optimas
    post edited by pghmarty - 2008/10/01 03:01:49

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Winter Battery Storage/Care 2008/10/01 18:48:14 (permalink)
    hook, I just store my rv and lawn tractor up at camp down here in the basmt/garage. keep them off the floor cement  (i use a plastic milk crate .. I suggest you buy an inexpersive mini maintainance trickle charger or you can ,about once a month  charge em a few hrs. Be sure to use distilled water to level line .. My camper is open one more month..EBD really slow  for flyfishing ..at least for me it was last three trys.. sept 30th upper section closed for spawners.. I seen nice BT off the bridge even a few eye in one spot downside near warmer section. I do not know if you guys know this but a small pair of quality binoculars off a bridge can spot you some incredible fish that might be otherwise overlooked. My pair of 8x42 monarchs are phase coated and work on the water as well as my friends marine steiners. Pretty cool seeing those walleye even though there was only three or four  in that pool.
    Jump to: