Saturday's Depth Change on the J!

Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/29 08:22:17 (permalink)

Saturday's Depth Change on the J!

Fished Saturday afternoon downstream of the power dam.  When we got in the water at 2:00pm it was looking really nice, about average pool to just a little high, nice flow, some of the typical hot spots we fish were full of water and feeding fish.  As the afternoon wore on and we worked downstream, the water magically "dried up"  I am not talking about the water went down enough that is was noticable. . .I mean that the water disappeared.  In some places, the difference on my waders inside of 2 hrs was between 18" and 2ft. Change.  The waterline change was visible on all of the rocks. 

It was interesting, after being normal to high and then when they shut the dam, the water got extremely low AND really clear.  Well, at that point, the fishing became miserable BUT the exploring became fun.  I found that a hole that I have fished for years was wadable from shore to shore.  I took a walk where I had always wondered what the contour was.   It was neat to be able to see the bottom and wade through, now I have an idea where the fish lay in the hole, wide hole, narrow channel!

I know that the dam at Petersburg is a power dam and that downstream flow is not of the utmost importance. . .but this was CRAZY.  I have been fishing this same area for years and this was the most extreme I ever saw it get in a 2.5 hour period.

Oh well, with no rain and no flow. . .and my newest development (NO JOB!) time to get the boat out!

Brent

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: