TRAIL CAMERAS

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/28 20:39:34 (permalink)

TRAIL CAMERAS

Went to posted property in maryland today with a couple of buddies to check cameras.They check cameras and bait spots every wednesday and sundays.When they start out a month ago they where getting some really nice bucks.Now all they can get is scrub heads and does.Can someone explain what happen to the big boys?I have an idea maybe scent or to much pressure.

12 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/28 21:16:52 (permalink)
    How would you like to be in the woods on a dark night and have someone flash a bright light in your eyes? Could be a couple times of that makes them avoid the area. I've heard of others having that same problem with big bucks disappearing.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/28 21:36:55 (permalink)
    I've noticed that with the older deer. You ussually don't get many pics of them...I will not use a flash camera around my stand sights...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/28 23:00:47 (permalink)
    we are lucky to get the big ones on the flash more than once, but at this time of year they have started to disperse and fewer and fewer are showing up on camera anyway.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/29 06:57:59 (permalink)
    MM was is that is there a reason or not?Do you think these spots are still going to be good.Them guys got alot of doe i told them once the bucks strat looking for does they should be in good shape.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/29 08:49:55 (permalink)
    Slammers always disappear this time of year.   Velvet comes off, leaves start to fall, they become very secretive.  Add a little bit of human presence and it's like they dig a hole and hide or something.  Seems like the older they get, the smaller their core area is.

I had an 8 pt. bed down in front of one of my cams last week.  It was 5:00 pm but since it was darkish out, the flash went off.  I had it on burst for three pics.  The first one the buck wasn't looking at the cam, the next two he was.  After a one minute timeout, I didn't get anymore pics of him or the other buck there, so he must have gotten up from his bed and took off.  Some say flash doesn't scare deer, but I think it does. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/30 07:55:55 (permalink)
    I talked to four guys last night about there cams and they all said the same thing no more big buys showing up.What do we have to do what for the RUT to see these boys or is there another method to kill them early season?
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/30 14:35:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

Went to posted property in maryland today with a couple of buddies to check cameras.They check cameras and bait spots every wednesday and sundays.When they start out a month ago they where getting some really nice bucks.Now all they can get is scrub heads and does.Can someone explain what happen to the big boys?I have an idea maybe scent or to much pressure.

Where in Maryland? I lived in Gaithersburg.... You can get some good buck there.  One of the reasons that you are not seeing the big bucks right now is that they are starting to become territorial. They are storing up on food as well. because once the rut hits they only have one thing on there mind. I have seen this a bunch of times in the years past. I would find a new scrape on a rub lind and put a cam there.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/30 19:41:31 (permalink)
    They hunt close to friendsville they take me up one way and bring my back a different way.Also one my buddies hunt gamelands 21 he said he been finding tons of scrapes and lots of buck rubs.He has been known to tell a few lies. It seems that the rubs are starting to pick up scrapes still at a minium.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/30 19:50:32 (permalink)

It seems in the past two weeks the patterns and movements of deer in my area(New Stanton) has changed. I would watch from approximately 350 to 400 yards from where the deer usually exited some brushy woods and cross the fields to the apple orchards. Seems like they have become more nocturnal and my trail cam picks up mostly does and some smaller 6 pointers. Little to no activity during shooting hours - sure hope that changes again.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/09/30 20:27:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Wally Cat

It seems in the past two weeks the patterns and movements of deer in my area(New Stanton) has changed. I would watch from approximately 350 to 400 yards from where the deer usually exited some brushy woods and cross the fields to the apple orchards. Seems like they have become more nocturnal and my trail cam picks up mostly does and some smaller 6 pointers. Little to no activity during shooting hours - sure hope that changes again.

it will give it time, as long as you have to doe in your sights everynight, you'll be ok.  The big bucks will come back in
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/10/03 21:35:54 (permalink)
    It's amazing what trail cmaeras pictures can do for some people.My brother how hasn't touched a bow in fourteen years decides to go bow hunting after seeing some the bucks we got on camera.Should be interesting tomorrow he never even hunting out of a treestand just one of them guys to pick a tree and take a seat.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: TRAIL CAMERAS 2008/10/11 20:52:10 (permalink)
    We wnet up my brothers tonight never saw a deer.I checked cameras when we was done hunting at dark.I was shock by some of the bucks we got on camera .We already had 3 or 4 120 to130s on camera now we got 2 newbes showing up.There coming in my old man spot at 7:30 p.m. and my spot at 8:20 p.m. still at dark but not what i really consider nocturnal.We are leaving for disney tomorrow morning when we get back i'll look for his rub line.They may be on the next hill i could hear a few acorns falling tonight.
    Jump to: