how many times do you change mono in a season

Author
leadmen
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1001
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/24 18:31:21 (permalink)

how many times do you change mono in a season

i have found in several fishing conditions peeps do not  change line i use mono for salmon braid with floro leader for eyes unless im on the lake, the same goes for steelies i use mono i use casting and bait casters i have used braid for steelies but im sure they see it what do you use ???????????
just a small idea of how others fish

14 Replies Related Threads

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 00:48:37 (permalink)
    Once every spring on all the rods or whenever I get a big birds nest and gotta respool again. Have used Trilene XL green for years and have it on all rods,I rarely change for the new stuff. Tried spiderwire and it ate up my guides years ago when it came out. Crap was like a rope anyway and fish saw it from a long way away in clear Lake Erie waters.

P-line was nice stuff though.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 08:26:19 (permalink)
    i do the same as goby.  use the same also.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 10:58:49 (permalink)
    Started using 2# fluoro on my ultralight this year.  I get it 2/3 full with a "pony" spool and leave it there for ease of casting.  I change all of it out when I can start to see the spool color through the line (because it's getting low), or when I can tell that there's a difference in castability, limpness, or, most often, discoloration.  When I can see the line underwater, the fluoro has lost its main advantage.  This year, I'm on my third pony spool, but should really only be on two.  Fished in some nasty mine drainage that turned my line yellow/orange!

My other rods I dont use nearly as much and the line is much more durable.  Each one gets changed before it's first trip out after the thaw, as well as anytime I can see its getting low or has some other problem.  Usually the 1x per year thing is good enough.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 11:45:44 (permalink)
    If you're talking about panfishing, my story is diffrent. I fish a lot of brush so i lose a lot of line and jigs. I'll put new line on 3 or 4 times a season. And thats on 5 poles too. I use 4# clear stren and pro line from cabelas. I get the big spools and they last me a while. My reels only hold a little. Now my perch rigs have fireline on them. Going on 4 seasons with it. I trout fish the river with my ultralights so i use the same line as panfishing.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 11:56:55 (permalink)
    for trout i use #2 & #4 yo zuri hybrid and for bass i use either #6 or #8 yo zuri flourocarbon green color...i used to use trilene but used yo zuri once and now its all i use...it lasts longer and casts better and because its flourocarbon, fish have a harder time seeing it....i change line about once a month..sometimes 3 weeks...usually right after it molds to the reel and castability sucks.....i fish about 3 days a week and the way i look at it, why go out and buy all this fancy gear and awesome rods and reels and then put crap line on it, or leave the same line on for the whole year....line costs what 5-10 bucks?...i'll pay it if it means im not going to lose any fish due to weak line or knicks in the line.....
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/25 18:37:52 (permalink)
    8# maxima all sumer 2 days a week for carp, change every 2 weeks...
    4&6# p line or trilene xL low vis green, trout & steel,same 2 weeks...
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/26 23:22:36 (permalink)
    i use hi vis green or yellow weed whacker cord with a 90 lbs leader n change it every month
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/27 08:18:57 (permalink)
    right befor salmon season i respool and take fresh line also for the chance i get one that runs always take two different spools incase one is bad or spooled more than 1 or twice and once at the start of the  middle of the season and in the middle trophy fish do not come along everyday line is sold at a lot of stores i have seen people leave the line on for years and get a good fish on and loose it on bad line there trophy lost as far as the lake rods i have power pro or iron silk for a few years now and change the leaders out 1 a year and always check for cuts
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/09/30 14:58:58 (permalink)
    I usually change out the set ups that get most use, once per year.  Usually, one rod will get more use than most, and will get changed twice.  Especially if it is being used in the rivers a lot. 

I like the Trilene XL in green too, and will likely be my next purchase when my bulk line runs out.  Depending on deals that I find...

I got on a copolymer kick.  14lb Breakaway is what I use on my medium duty set ups, the same diameter as 8lb, but almost twice the strength.  I really like it, but not the easiest product to get ahold of.  So, shipping usually makes it about twice the price of other stuff.  Cabela's used to sell it, so combining with other stuff made it much more feasible.

I tried the Cabela's 6 lb copolymer line on my ultralight setups.  About the same diameter as 2lb test and would cast like a dream, but that is about all I can say good about it.  Some how breaks with out any type of stress?  I'll just be reelling in, and notice my line has snapped somewhere...  Then have to bring what ever I have casted out, back in by hand.  Junk! 

I use 20lb Cabela's Saltstriker Copolymer, and works great though.  About the diameter of most 14lb lines, and assume the strength of 20lb. 

gotanitch2fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/10/23 19:32:51 (permalink)
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/10/24 23:30:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brown_trt

for trout i use #2 & #4 yo zuri hybrid and for bass i use either #6 or #8 yo zuri flourocarbon green color...i used to use trilene but used yo zuri once and now its all i use...it lasts longer and casts better and because its flourocarbon, fish have a harder time seeing it....i change line about once a month..sometimes 3 weeks...usually right after it molds to the reel and castability sucks.....i fish about 3 days a week and the way i look at it, why go out and buy all this fancy gear and awesome rods and reels and then put crap line on it, or leave the same line on for the whole year....line costs what 5-10 bucks?...i'll pay it if it means im not going to lose any fish due to weak line or knicks in the line.....

I change my line this often as well, well worth the extra few bucks. Here is a hint on re spooling...soak your line in room temperature water for 20-30 min b4 you wind it on. It makes the line ten times more limp, and keeps way less memory.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/10/24 23:51:14 (permalink)
    Never tried that, slick.  Just put spool and all in?  And does this work with fluoro too?  Which reminds me...need to go stock up on 2# fluoro for the ultralight!
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/10/25 14:25:04 (permalink)
    iv heard of soaking never gave it a shot, ill be respooling my noodle rod , have to get the big boat out next week
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: how many times do you change mono in a season 2008/10/25 18:39:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Never tried that, slick.  Just put spool and all in?  And does this work with fluoro too?  Which reminds me...need to go stock up on 2# fluoro for the ultralight!

Yep....Spool and all. I was having trouble with a few spools of line I bought. Called Berkley, (I guess it was actually "pure fishing" or something....they also own stren, spiderwire, and a few others), and they suggested it to me. Soaked every spool since.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Jump to: