Looking for some help on the Juniata

Author
beerman0303
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 869
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/17 20:19:40 (permalink)

Looking for some help on the Juniata

I will be at my friends camp in Bedford.  He is not much of a fisherman so he is not very helpful.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what kind of bait etc I should use.  Information on spots aren't really what I need because I don't plan on leaving camp.   I will be fishing from shore and downing some cold ones!!  What species of fish are in there?  What are the best baits.? My buddy thinks there is a bait store near by, and I will stop there for info.  What is the river like?  Is it wide, deep, or more like a creek?  Any info would be great!!

thanks,

the beerman

8 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/17 21:09:48 (permalink)
    Should be lots of smallmouths, rock bass, fallfish and carp. I don't usually bother with live bait but find some softshell crabs or helgramites in the creek and go for it. I usually fish below bedford hospital but have fished it from manns choice to graceville.

Wherebouts is the camp? I don't think theres been much rain lately so the water may be low and clear. Look for the rock bass to be hiding under rocks or ledges or in the shade.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/17 22:56:55 (permalink)
    It really depens where camp is.  The last time I fished a stretch near Mann's Choice, the water was pretty low.  There were enough deeper holes to hold plenty of fish.  Surprisingly, we caught TONS of decent sized yellow perch.  I am not sure why they are there in a big concentration?  Stranded during a high water time from the banch.  We were catching fish, in mid afternoon on red worms and small 1" sized pieces of night crawlers. 

In other sections of the river, the smallmouth bass really are starting to turn on and then neary anything that immitates a minnow will get slammed.

Good luck, in exchange for the info we like a report with pictures (pictures really make the report better)!
    Brent
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/18 07:49:33 (permalink)
    I appreciate the info guys!  I an not sure exactly where the camp is, but I will post pictures if I catch anything.  Thanks again.
    ...masterofnone
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/18 21:39:51 (permalink)
    carp:  can o' whole kernal corn (and maybe make some dough - water, flour, cereal, vanilla), chuck out a handful, fill a sz. 8 - 12 hook, let it sit on the bottom (bring extra hooks and sinkers), use a Y-stick, **set the drag correctly, ***pay attention, hang on (especially if you see your line suddenly "drop")

smallmouth, rock bass, fallfish, sunfish, maybe a trout in the right place:  roostertails, rapalas (floating - its mostly shallow), beetle spins, mepps, rebel crayfish, nightcrawlers - since you're not roaming around(everything likes 'em)

the river:  more like a large creek

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? - Job 41:1
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/19 03:13:38 (permalink)
    Juniata river has a ton of fish variety. If you are content to wet a line and down a few beers, then I'd say a dozen nightcrawlers and a couple dozen minnies will keep you busy for a while. Nearly everything in the river will eat those two things, from walleye to bass, to panfish to carp, to catfish, to muskie, to trout,...you get the point. Looking to fish lures, I'd try chartreuse, pumpkin, or white twister tails on 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig heads, or rebel crawdads. Any inline spinner or even small spinnerbaits will catch bass for you any place I've ever fished the J. Hellgramites are also hard to beat, but be prepared to pay nearly $8 a dozen at a bait shop or be willing to put the effort in to catch your own. Good luck!
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/09/19 14:44:22 (permalink)
    Sounds great guys! I love fishing new places.  Seesm to add to anticipation of what you might catch.  Thanks again for the info.

the beerman
    arnold2008
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/10/07 06:16:43 (permalink)
    Most fish today were in the 10-12 inch range. We couldn’t cath anything over 13 inches. As mentioned, the bite was very light today. I tried a couple of different rigs but nothing seemed to solve the problem. Tried wacky rigging it and even switched from a simple bent shank work hook to an EWG model made by Gamakatsu. I guess there are just days whent the fish just aint working as hard to eat their prey.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Carhartt Sherpa Lines Jackets property in dubai
    Estimated
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Looking for some help on the Juniata 2008/10/13 03:16:26 (permalink)
    Fished on saturday bite was great biggest fish was 18 incher lots of fish soft plastics did the trick
    Jump to: