Fall Trout tactics ???

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/17 20:18:50 (permalink)

Fall Trout tactics ???

So as it starts to cool down here in the fall i understand the Trout bite starts to get better ?

I have a boat on the Ashokan Res but have only targeted Smallies (which will also pick up in the fall and can be lots of fun) but wouldn't mind trying for some Trout. There are Browns & Bows in there, and i guess they get to be pretty big.

It's a big body of water and gets pretty deep. Lots of bait fish in there.
ROW only too.

What tatics would you guys suggest ?

If any of you Trout diehards wanted to make the trip, i will keep an open seat. Not planning anything just yet, but thinking ahead out loud.

BB

3 Replies Related Threads

McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Fall Trout tactics ??? 2008/09/17 21:53:47 (permalink)
    brian,
    in the fall i always had luck using the berkeley trout worms(red or brown) fished on a 1/64oz jighead and a splitshot or two(bb size) in and around the main lake channel or next to the dam...in the evening/early morning try on the flats near the channels and in the middle of the day go for the channel...use 4lb test so the lure can sink faster and let it get down there and just kind of let the wind carry you while you jig...some days this sucks and you dont get anything but some days i've destroyed them this way..and you also get bonus fish too...i ususally do this in my little inflatable pontoon....any of the small rapala's work excellent too....hope i could help.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Fall Trout tactics ??? 2008/09/17 22:52:09 (permalink)
    brian,  this year was the least resi fishing for me.. my shokan is by the fryingpan you want to meet sometime in later oct to end nov.. be sure to have a permit and license .. i like fishing that place after closing up by pepacton next two weekends.. do most my fall ultra light trout fishing in oct nov on the esopus .. tough fishing but it is beautiful scenery in the fall, but don't expect much these days.. runners are hard to come by and the headwaters are nowhere as good  as the early 80s  or even 90s ..this is my experience but perhaps an early fall run will be prove different this season. The res is big water, the biggest surface area of all the city water.. I just enjoy pocket water fishing the esopus.. also shore spooning for trout will pickup sometime in oct. the locals usually get em and it will be hit or miss at the dividing wier. i will let you know when i'n heading there this fall if you are interested we can meet. I like using berkley trout baits.. have the one inch baby nightcrawlers gulp, but always  on esopus real worms and floating eggs on ultra light noodle.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Fall Trout tactics ??? 2008/09/17 23:25:29 (permalink)
    Oh to answer the boat fishing in ashokan.. where is  the spot you keep your boat? the frying pan is good for SM LM I caught years ago a few walleye fishing out of the boat.. big rainbows ususally 2 3lbs avg last yr.. a big bow is over 4lbs.. my biggest were 8/3/4  got a picture of that fish and another close the same size I released about ten years later about 5 years ago..  both were caught in  spring of may  drifting sawbellies.. Live bait will catch you fish.. You can try trolling for trout off the boat when the water gets cool later in the fall. Sm like you say will be there. Brian got to say looking at your pictures you probably have better basswater The resi is good if you have the time to work the water and sometimes a rowboat in wind can make it next  to impossible for bassin.. sheesh I use to catch in nj LM on top water rebel pop r's  bassin is fun but I guess I just been looking for trout when I hit the resis. Again I believe you have better fishing upstate.  Gl and if you or anyone want to meet up we can arange a weekend.. Also I want to try those steelheads and browns come end of oct nov maybe dec on SR
    Jump to: