Tuning question

Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/15 13:19:27 (permalink)

Tuning question

I have been shooting pretty regularly now for the past 6 weeks.  With field points I have been comfortably shooting tight groups out to 40.  I had not shot any broadheads prior to yesterday.  I have not shot muzzy's out of this bow but, I decided thats what I want to use this year (I used them with my old bow).  I shot a few broadheads at 25yards or so and I was appalled at how horrible the arrow flight looked.  After about 6 shots with similar results I realized something is off with my bow. 

Is there a way to tune my bow myself?  Or should I just take it somewhere and have them mess with it?  I am pretty sure that this has something to do with the new string I had put on this Spring.  I never re-paper tuned it afterwards.  I am just worried now that I am going to  have a hard time getting in at a shop now.  However, i have never messed with any of this stuff.  I guess the things that could be wrong are the nocking point, rest height, and limb adjustments.  Any thoughts or input on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Heres my setup:
Hoyt Razortec
70#, 29.5" draw, Gold tip expedition arrows, 100gr 3blade Muzzy's
Muzzy zero-effect rest
I also use a string loop

5 Replies Related Threads

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Tuning question 2008/09/15 15:48:15 (permalink)
    Had the same problem a couple weeks ago.The best thing to do is to try to paper tuned it to make sure your arrow is flying straight.That was my problem my center shot was off hope this was some help to you
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Tuning question 2008/09/15 20:20:36 (permalink)
    Chris,

I'd take your bow to a local shop. Even though most are pretty busy right now, you'll probably only have to wait a day or 2 for it.

I killed my first few archery season deer with muzzy's. They are a solid head, but with each pack I bought, at least 2 out of the 6 were flyers, and would not group, even with a paper tuned bow. I could screw the flyers on an arrow, spin them on my finger, and be able to tell they weren't in line with the shaft. I figured if I am paying for 6 heads, I should be able to shoot all 6 with no problems. From that point on, I didn't buy muzzy's again. That being said, they killed every deer I shot with them, no problem.

Do you have your bow with you in State College? I can send you in the right direction of a good shop. Also, let me know if you want to shoot sometime.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Tuning question 2008/09/16 12:16:57 (permalink)
    If you google search the topics, it shouldn't be too difficult to do it yourself if you go out and buy a couple simple tools.  Finding centershot is probably the easiest.  Once you get close, you can make small adjustments and take practice shots to get things inline.  Also, I found that indexing my broadheads so they are all starting off at the same angle when I am at full draw helps my arrow flight.  Gander Mtn. had a 12 pack of nylon washers for 99 cents.  I am shooting Magnus 2 blade 125 gr broadheads out of my older Mathews FX. 
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuning question 2008/09/16 12:55:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys.  I just dont feel comfortable enough messing with it myself, not to mention I don't really have immediate access to shoot it.  I am going to take my chances and bring it to a shop here in State College.  I want to get it paper tuned and try the muzzy's again.  If they give me the same grief I am going to try another head.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tuning question 2008/09/16 22:04:16 (permalink)
    Well, I am back in business!!! A quick stop up at Clarence archery and they got my problem squared away in no time at all.  It ended up being the adjustment on the rest was off, there wasn't enough clearance for the vanes.  Once we got that taken care of wham, the muzzy's were flying right into nothing but bullseyes
    Jump to: