center pinning lake erie steams

Author
noodle one
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/14 20:07:22 (permalink)

center pinning lake erie steams

how popular is center pinning on lake erie steams ? is it as popular as it is on the salmon river for steelhead fishing? I would  like to make some trips down and would like to know what to expect, after  reading some of the posts it sounds like it can get crowded at times . is there room to float a line?

5 Replies Related Threads

matsif
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: center pinning lake erie steams 2008/09/14 20:24:38 (permalink)
    it depends where you go.  normally come november when the fish get upstream a good ways its better because less people go way upstream for the most part.

however early in the season at the project waters and close to them I would never recommend pin fishing.  just way too many people.

mid november on elk around the elk creek inn and folley's end campground I tend to start seeing most of the pin fishers.  I fly fish though so others who actually pin fish might have better info
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: center pinning lake erie steams 2008/09/14 21:57:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: matsif

it depends where you go.  normally come november when the fish get upstream a good ways its better because less people go way upstream for the most part.

however early in the season at the project waters and close to them I would never recommend pin fishing.  just way too many people.

mid november on elk around the elk creek inn and folley's end campground I tend to start seeing most of the pin fishers.  I fly fish though so others who actually pin fish might have better info

I couldn't agree more with this post.  I pin and generally don't start til mid november for sheer fact of so many people and generally low water til around this time.  It can literally be like fishing in a big bathtub, no color and little to no flow.  This is one of the reasons i dont get excited about early season.  Plus everything else starts to happen and i lean 75% to my love of the warm water species like bass walleye and musky.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: center pinning lake erie steams 2008/09/14 23:43:48 (permalink)
    Would have to disagree with Mat,and Avid you can pin year around usually their is okay flow by Oct and yes their are tons of people, but who are we kidding i have never went to Erie and seen a day it wasn't slow. If their are fish their are people, I don't care where you fish or how you fish i have walked a mile or two to escape the crowds and guess what 10 guys fishing a hole middle of no man's land,,,,,,,go figure. So i look at this way i fish wherever their is fish to be had,,,,i do like certain areas opposed to sum but if it's the nut,12,20, coon, elk, 7, or cas, where fishing it. Last year i agree it was low and their where a ton of guys,kids,wives, pets,goats, you name it seemed like it was their. But for the most part everyone seemed pretty cool to fish with. Just have to give and take i wait to long for the heads to arrive and when they do get here i like to fish them much as possible. You have all year to fish the scum waters of the rivers,or lakes but it's your choice to fish what you like. Just my two cents. But thats crazy  And not calling you out but Mastif why can't you pin around alot of people ???
    Actually makes you a better fisherman the whole way around. Because you have to be watching what your doing and be in control at all times 14ft stick is alot of stick. Maybe we could hook up always looking for cool people to fish with on the tribs,,,,,if ya like.......Avid when your back in f.c hitting the eyes and the bass, skies  i think of ya. Save some for me so when i get back i can take the boat out and get a few on the off days.
    post edited by pin_drifter - 2008/09/14 23:47:06

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    matsif
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: center pinning lake erie steams 2008/09/15 08:24:07 (permalink)
    never said you couldnt pin around people pin, but I was talking from the point of the walnut access.  there is always so many people there that if you even try fishing with a zebco 360 you'll probably snag someone's line, even while being careful.  my uncle uses a 13 foot noodle rod and it seems that he's caught up on someone else a lot more than me.  then add in that with a pin you'd probably be having or at least wanting a longer drift, and more people look like "the heck is this guy doing."  I personally don't care.  its more of the other peoples' lack of etiquette.

I have in my entire time fishing for steelhead (probably 10 years or so on the fly and I'm still in high school) seen 1 or maybe 2 pin fisherman at walnut access in or around the main holes.  and I get out every weekend cause I live up here, more once football season lets off and I have time to go after school and even before school sometimes.  now come october and I start getting upstream more I start seeing more pin fisherman if for the only reason there are less people and more room for a drift.  just what I see and have experienced tho, and 10 years is by no means a long time compared to most of you guys
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: center pinning lake erie steams 2008/09/17 21:48:02 (permalink)
    no more crowded than the Salmon has become the last few years,just not big water.
    Jump to: