How Early?

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/10 23:19:26 (permalink)

How Early?

How early will you guys start hunting your stands, before the season?  without weapons of course.  I think I will start about a week and a half, just bumpin around to see if I can get an early pattern figgured out in the areas where I can't do long range survellance all summer.

Better too far back, than too far forward.

12 Replies Related Threads

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 04:36:55 (permalink)
    Hows it going Ryan ? started long distance scouting in august . still havent seen a monster yet but looking at various fields @ dusk. batchelor groups aren't showing up with any frequency as in years past . the food must be off in my area ? i know we have a decent amount of deer around they are using different areas or being really cautious this year . still a few weeks i'll find my boy. i don't get invasive into an area until end of october when they respond pretty well to rattling and closer to bedding areas as rut starts rearing . bruiser bucks are real finicky to invasion and i only travel creek beds into my stands with my waders. my stands only get hunted once a week on a rotation depending on available apples , wind , ect , doe activity ect ect .... . goodluck to you ... hopefully we find them before they find us.... LOL  -Don
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 06:49:41 (permalink)
    I pretty much stay out of my stands till season. Having access to my hunting area from the house and atv. I can run cameras most of the summer and can see what's there..

The patterns here just changed dramatically..Bachelor groups are breaking up and the falling acorns are changing their routes...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 08:13:46 (permalink)
    I'am like Bings--my experience is the first couple times in a stand give the best results, after that the deer know you have been there and things go downhill. The deer were hitting the apples hard until last week when the hard mast started to fall. I guess they would rather eat steak than salad.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 09:43:11 (permalink)
    I never sit in any of my stands till the first week. Last year on the first morning of the archery season I had a mature doe coming right in to my stand. At 50 yards she stopped and looked right up at me!! Turned around and snorted about 6 times, that ended that day early for me. I am always amazed how some mature doe are so smart! The wind was even in my face.  Then in Nov. I was bow hunting So. Ohio and another doe did exactly the same thing! Didn't bother me too much cause I had killed a 6 point the day before.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 12:54:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

How early will you guys start hunting your stands, before the season? 

Never.  The first time is the best time.   In fact, I have 2 rut stands that will never see my butt until November 3rd this year.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 13:07:00 (permalink)
    Good points by all.

Doin good DC.  I have seen two really nice bucks in my core areas, a 21-22" 8pt and a 18-19" 12 pt.  But knowing me, I'll shoot the first scrubhead that walks by.  Plus I have to try and get my daughter (14) a deer (she got a doe last year with her bow, so we will see). 

I have several observation stands in that I think I will check out.   I agree that the first couple times in a stand is the best.  However I have found that sometimes you can catch a bigboy stuck in his summer pattern for the first 3 maybe 5 days of the season. And some of my spots don't provide an opportunity for long range survellance.  

Noplacelikehome, one of the best hunters I know told me a long time ago, that it was a lot tougher to shoot a 4 or 5 yo doe than a nice buck, I think that is very true.

I have a buddy who is my huntin partner, we help each other put all our stands in and hunt all the same areas.  It makes it nice to cover two stands on a piece of ground in the same evening.  He gets excited about the cameras and I had to pull the reigns on him this year, he had it too close to our best stand and I was afraid of being in there more than the one time to get the stand in in August.

My wife said she can tell Archery season is coming, I don't sleep as well and get antsy, according to her.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    FishHuntForever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 13:15:31 (permalink)
    I agree that I will not go into my stand after four weeks before to check out the area and make sure gps marked and place is ready.  I want no change in the area until I am in the stand, even the best try at hiding and being sneaky does not work when there is a big guy in the area.  I watch from fields and such to see he is around and that is it.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/11 13:30:06 (permalink)
    First time in is the first day.

We're set up on a droptine 12 point for the first day.  Dad keeps telling me to go in and put cameras up to get a pic.    ahhh... for what?  How about no.  He wants to see what trail he's using.  Guess what.  He's coming down a different place everytime I see him and that's why he's big.  Next time we're going in is October 4, if and only if, the wind is right. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/12 01:25:42 (permalink)
    I've been in my two prime areas, one last week and one last month.  I just walked around to confirm that the area was pretty much as it was last year (no housing developments built on the place)  Other than that, I wont be back until the season starts.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/12 09:03:15 (permalink)
    Same here.  Put up my stands last weekend and I won't be in the woods in that area until the season starts.  I may do some spotting in the surrounding fields but that is about it. Looks like all the local fields went into soybeans this summer, which is good for me.  When the local fields are corn, I don't seem to see the nicer bucks in my prime hunting area, just lots of smaller ones.  When anything other than corn is planted, I tend to see better quality bucks through the season.  I think the big boys in this area just bed down in the vast corn fields and don't move too much during the majority of the season.  Shaping up to be a great season though...
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/12 16:33:14 (permalink)
    Opening DAY!!!! And then only a few times in the first two weeks!! We have over 70 stands to use and It's hard to make up my mind witch one is best!!! I have seen more deer closer to the road then in the deeper woods!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: How Early? 2008/09/14 07:03:19 (permalink)
    perch, i know a spot where deer cross the road from private property that no one has access to at 7am and are in bed by 7:05. Its about 75yrds from the road tops.
    Jump to: