Waders/boots question

Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/09 18:45:46 (permalink)

Waders/boots question

First off, I must say that I'm one of those guys who have been using the camo/neoprene chest waders while fishing!  I really like them for cold weather, but have broken down and purchased some breathables for early season.  Now I need to get a pair of boots for them.  Do you guys recommend lug soles or felt for the Erie streams?  Also do I have to get a larger size in order for the neoprene sock and my big sz. 12 to fit in them or do they typically run larger for that reason?  Any other recommendations welcomed.  Thanks in advance! 

18 Replies Related Threads

ScrambledEgger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 18:59:13 (permalink)
    I would strongly recommend..studded wading boots.  I have the Simms Aquastealth rubber with studs and can almost run on the streams.  The first year in Erie, I had regular felt soles and almost slid into the creek on the slime coating.  I will never be on a stream without studs.
    BucksCOFisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 19:03:56 (permalink)
    I personally use Simms Guideboot with studded Aquastealth.  Before these boots I used lug soles in Erie and I would slip and slide all over the place, especially in the early season when the slime is still on the streambed.  I do not suggest felt if you are going to use these boots once it starts snowing.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 19:04:59 (permalink)
    I got my boots 1 size larger than my regular shoe size and have had no problems. Got studded felt  boots theyre nice but in the winter snow really sticks to felt. Think i'm gona switch to studded rubber bootfoots.

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 19:14:56 (permalink)
    Everyone has there own prefenece to what they like. I use felt soles with my breathable waders and i have not had a problem with any slippage. Of coarse you need to watch where you walk in the stream where ever you go. Best way to fit shoes to your waders is to take your waders with you when you try on the shoes. Then you will know exactly the right size your looking for. Comfort first, because if your like me and stay out fishing for , i dunno , like all day, comfort does matter.
     Felt soles are my suggested opinion , they have never let me down, no pun intended. haha.
    Good luck this steelhead season maybe i see you out there with a whopper on.
    ScrambledEgger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 19:53:52 (permalink)
    When I use my studded felt sole bootfoots during the winter and snow is on the ground, I paint the felt with rubberized paint ($5 a can).  The studs do their job and the paint stops the snow from sticking to the felt and becoming ice cubes.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 20:00:48 (permalink)
    great tip Scrambled...thanks for all the replies guys.  I think I'm going to look into rubber bottoms with studs.  Studs seem to be the ticket....thanks again!

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 21:04:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I think I'm going to look into rubber bottoms with studs. 

wise choice imHo

Korkers Convertibles are affordable.
    order the studded cleat sole

..L.T.A.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 21:57:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

First off, I must say that I'm one of those guys who have been using the camo/neoprene chest waders while fishing!  I really like them for cold weather, but have broken down and purchased some breathables for early season.  Now I need to get a pair of boots for them.  Do you guys recommend lug soles or felt for the Erie streams?  Also do I have to get a larger size in order for the neoprene sock and my big sz. 12 to fit in them or do they typically run larger for that reason?  Any other recommendations welcomed.  Thanks in advance! 

Are you kidding me? I mean are you kidding me!? You? Camo neo guy!? You kidding me? I never would have guessed it. You mean to tell me that you finally got yourself some breathables? Wow. Congrats on climbing one more picture on the evolution chart. As for the boots, the rainbow flip flops you wear to "all dose speshal cayshons" will do just fine. 

Honestly. Felt suck in the winter because of the fact snow sticks to the bottom. Felt also sucks in mud. Zero traction. Felt are good in the water. Studded felt even better. Lug soles. I have zero use for. So no comment there. What I have is the Korkers Streamborn boots  http://www.korkers.com/news.php The step above mine is the Guideboot. I couldnt justify the extra money for the lace system. But I would be much cooler if my boots had the word guide in thier name.I talked with Nick and Jason at Korkers quite awhile about both of these boots and am way pleased with my choice. I purchased the rubber studs and felt studs. Those are the only bottoms I use. I am a size 10 10.5 and I bought the size 12. Very big on me but thats what I wanted. Plenty of room for layers and air. I think they come in 13s or 14s but I dont know for sure or do I care because it doesnt apply to me. There is a drawback to this wonderful gear I have and recommend to all. Its the price. The boots go for around 130 or so and I think the extra soles are 30 a pair. So you are looking at 200 bucks when it is all said and done. Well you have to pay for quality and Korkers stand behind there stuff 100% If you have a problem talk to them and they will take care of you. $200 on a pair of fishing boots! You could do it ShutUp, whats acouple more nights at that dark truck stop?

You said you got the waders for early season. So did I at first and boy was I wrong. Season long. I have no use for my neos anymore. The key for winter fishing is proper layering. No, your favorite jeans over your stretched out skid marked long underwear is not concidored proper layering. I just dont have the energy to go on with this so I will end it here. Good night and enjoy the new fishing gear.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 22:39:08 (permalink)
    swinger, I think I'll wear my neos as the Stillers kick some Brownie butt next weekend and think of you the whole time they're doing it!

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the korkers.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/09 22:40:43

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 23:07:55 (permalink)
    I've had the caking problem. Where do you get the rubberized paint?
    Can you get it off in the spring?  Do you have to prep the felt?

I do think that the felt/stud boot is the best. I added studs, just hex
    screws, which are almost identical to regular studs.  They are great
    for mossy slate bottoms, like 16 mile near the falls. I've seen quite a few
    spills by even young guys there with the wrong boots.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/09 23:34:36 (permalink)
    I would never even consider lug soles for our trib fishing.  The only place lugs have an advantage would be in streams with mud bottoms, which is certainly not the case here for the majority of trib fishing.  I have never worn studs but, I have never had problems with felt soles either.  I would think the studs/felt sole combo would be the ticket, it should give good grip on everything from mud to our ice-like shale bottoms.

For warmth going to the next size up in boots will really help.  I normally wear a size 12 boot but, my wading boots are 13's.  This allows you to layer socks without cutting off circulation to your feet.  The big idea is to have some extra room in your boots for better circulation, and it truly helps a great deal.  The only downside to oversize boots is that they are not quite as form-fitting and you will sacrafice a bit of comfort while walking for the extra warmth.  In my book it is definately worth it.  
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 00:25:37 (permalink)
    I only wish that I had read the one size up thing long before I bought my first wading boots!  It used to take me a week to get the darn things over the booties in my breathables (largely because the waders themselves were poorly designed and had a lot of extra bulk).  Now that I have the next size up I am typically first in the water!  As mentioned, the next size up also leaves room for additional socks BUT do not get the fit so tight that circulation is impared. . .big mistake!  It is a lot like hunting clothes I guess.  I hope that you find something suitable and comfortable.  I own a pair of neoprene boot foot waders. . .they are exclusively used when I duck hunt 1 or 2 times a year.

Brent
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 10:50:20 (permalink)
    to second what has been said, get the studded rubber bottoms.  i have several pairs of boots, the chota slt studded felt and the korkers guides with all 4 soles(both old model and new model, make sure you get new model if you're buying korkers because both are still out there as some shops are trying to unload the older models).  the studded felts are nice in nice weather but when there is snow or mud on the banks, like typical fall/winter weather. there is still a good chance of slipping whild walking the banks because with mud the studs on the felt bottoms are not as long as the studs on the rubber bottoms becausr of the thickness of the felt, so if the mud is a little deeper than the length of the stud then you will slip because felt gets a skim of mud on them and the mud on the bank will be like walking onf ice.  if there is snow then the snow will cake on the felt and cover the studs rendering them useless.  i like the studded rubber, exclusively.  good traction on any surface except smooth/poliched concrete.  just pick which brand fits you best.  i liked the korkers best but has to go 2 sizes up, so make sure you bring you waders with you to try the boots on.  lots of people like the simms brand, i don't have any experience with them but they have a good reputation.
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 11:26:56 (permalink)
    I have the Cabela's Guidewear boots with the studs and felt and have not had any issues.  I got them a size up from my normal boot size and wear 2 pair of fleece insulated socks with them and that keeps the toes nice and warm.  The only thing that I don't like about them is that the studs are not replaceable. 

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 12:28:53 (permalink)
    I did get to see one of the funniest things ever by someone wearing felt in the mud.  Buy 'em up, maybe I'll see you around and I'll get a laugh. 

Seriously though, studded, no felt are the way to go imo.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 15:29:35 (permalink)
    SilverKype- you may have seen me.  At 6'8" and 275. . . God has proven he has a sense of humor.  By making somebody as tall and clumsy as me with little to no athletic ability. . .he gave the rest of you something to chuckle at!

Brent
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/10 16:33:25 (permalink)
    I just ordered the Korkers Wetlands interchangable bottoms....pretty slick boots.  Thanks for the info all!

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: Waders/boots question 2008/09/11 00:56:26 (permalink)
    you won't be dissapointed.  had those before upgrading to the guide boot.  Love korkers.
    Jump to: