New guy with a question or two.

Author
JoeyG
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/08 20:36:48 (permalink)

New guy with a question or two.

First off I want to say Hi! Just found the site and wanted to register...so hre I am! Anyway heading up to Erie out of presque isle to try for smallies in a few weeks. Just curious as to what is a good ram to go to for a first timer? Want to stick with the bay at first.

Also on the day my Dad and I are leaving we would like throw a few flies for some steelies. Any tips as to what river to go to? we will be heading down 79 with a bassboat in tow so I would need a place that could handle parking with a boat in tow.

Sorry for the questions. Once again Hi! Hope to hang around here more than I should and I will hear it from the wife!!

Joe

10 Replies Related Threads

Nbobich
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 20:58:41 (permalink)
    You would probably have the best luck at walnut or elk creek for steelhead if your new at it. Its alot different from just normal trout fishing but its alot of fun. Me and my dad go up all the time in october/novenber havent done real good in the past but this year i think well actualy catch one hahaha  
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 21:08:24 (permalink)
    Tip:  If you can help it...DO NOT pick your days according to when you have the time off.  Learn how to read the weather, conditions (present and near past), stream guages and water clarity (call local bait shops before making the trip), lake conditions and recent fronts and pressures.  Knowing that the conditions are right for catching ANY fish, is more than half the battle when it comes to fishing the streams and lake.  When you get these factors down pretty good, you can then experiment with tactics, presentations and locations that suit your style of fishing most.  None of this came easy to me.  Lots of time, persistance and trial and error have rewarded me with education far more than just having someone else telling me what to do, where to go and how to fish.  Good luck in your new adventure!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/08 21:09:17

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 22:03:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Tip:  If you can help it...DO NOT pick your days according to when you have the time off.  Learn how to read the weather, conditions (present and near past), stream guages and water clarity (call local bait shops before making the trip), lake conditions and recent fronts and pressures.  Knowing that the conditions are right for catching ANY fish, is more than half the battle when it comes to fishing the streams and lake.

Interesting.
    I don't know anything about Great Lake fishing, but I do know weather patterns effect the bass in the ponds I fish.
    I just haven't found any "predictable" pattern for steelies in the creeks though.
    Think I'll start a new thread on that subject

good advise about the rain gages and calling ahead, that's for sure.
    Nothing worse than making a long drive to fish ragging torrents of chocolate milk

..L.T.A.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 22:18:25 (permalink)
    There are very few smallies in the bay at this time of year, they usually leave for the main lake after spawning. If you've got a big enough bass boat and have favorable light SSE or S winds, you can launch out of Lampe Marina or Northeast Marina. Last I heard they are in around 30 FOW, just keep an eye to the lake waves and incoming weather. It can get nasty for a bass boat in less than 30 minutes.

Otherwise the bay is great this time of year for LM bass and you shouldn't have a problem. Lot of weeds now and you may want to get a topo map of the bay to have a general idea of where you want to fish. Good luck.
    JoeyG
    New Angler
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 22:49:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply guys!! I've been fishing the Salmon river since 87 and understand what you are saying. it depends on the run, waterflow and a bucnh of other things but alot of times it's luck!

I heard lots about Erie from the smallies to the steelies. I've always fished for salmon in NY and never really got into the steelie thing until we hit them really good one year and now it's addicting! SO I appreciate everyone input on helping me out. I will always try to help out if I can and I understand the "newbie" thing when it comes to the websites asking questions that you all have heard or read a million times. Once again thanks and Hope I run into some of you all up there. I will be ther the end of the month and I will have an older ranger behind a silver Dodge Ram. Just yell Hey Joe and you'll get me or my father!!

Thanks
    Joe
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/08 23:57:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JoeyG
      I understand the "newbie" thing when it comes to the websites asking questions that you all have heard or read a million times.

Thanks
    Joe

It's not so much the the questions that get asked over and over, Joe.
    it's "certain" questions that may draw fire.
    Some of us frown  on giving any info remotely specific as to "where" to fish.
    The regulars have seen small creeks and private property access  areas get over run with anglers when someone says "they're  here" or there.

It seems some are just too darn lazy to go look for themselves.
    some of us have gotten kind of bitter about lazy anglers.

BTW, I'm by no means suggesting you're one of "them"

If you fish the big rivers  in NY, you won't have any problems finding fish in Erie.
    The creeks are small and shallow and run clear for the most part.
    By late Oct they're everywhere unless it's an "exceptionally"  dry fall

..L.T.A.
    JoeyG
    New Angler
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/09 09:51:49 (permalink)
    I understand the telling where the fish are part. I've seen the Salmon river go from a great fishery to a dumping ground. People can't pick up their garbage, won't get out of your way if you have a fish on and to down right arse hole people. I love to fly fish with my Dad and soemtimes the wife. WE catch and release our fish and what ever we bring in we take out...and more cuz I'm picking up pther prople crap! I won't ask where the fish are ..so to speak but maybe wher I can park!

Thanks!

Joe
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/09 10:06:15 (permalink)
    Joey,

Welcome... if you want to meet some great people and explore some new water for Steel. Come up for the "One Fly".
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/09 10:18:04 (permalink)
    Joey,
        If you are looking for smallmouth in the bay the best place to launch is probably downtown at one of the marinas there.  If you like a primitive launch there is one right on Presque Isle but it is rather primitive.  Plus ther may be some steel moving in to the bay when you are there and the best be for steel is usually about 40 yards off of a creek mouth in 4-8 feet.  If you are in the bay do some "map scouting" and see where the inflows are. And don't neglect the smaller inflows.   May/may not be any fish in the creeks.  Call ahead, and if you don't know a head call Poor Richards.  Steelies in the creeks can be anywhere from easy to Da##ed dificult to catch depending on water and flow.  think kings only go down about two rod sizes.  Mostly 6-9 wt., 5wt can be used but only with good heavy tippett.  Leave the 2x-3x stuff at home.  If you're a jig bouncer go small.  And if you are a bait tosser some of the shops sell Poer Bayt by the gallon, try the mixed colors.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: New guy with a question or two. 2008/09/09 10:19:17 (permalink)
    I'd check with Poor Richard's bait and tackle. They have boat storage there and I'd imagine you could leave it there for 1 day. Not sure, but I think you can.  It would be much safer and open up many more areas you could fish.  The only place I'd really suggest parking with a boat would be the elk and walnut creek access areas(both excellent fishing, if there isn't fish there, then they aren't anywhere) BUT, I'd even be a little worried about leaving it unattended there while I was fishing. There is no shortage of idiots around.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/09/09 10:22:33
    Jump to: