Brant Lake

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/08 10:45:40 (permalink)

Brant Lake

Heading up to Brant Lake Friday afternoon for a wedding saturday night. Yes, my boat in coming with me. Has anyone ever fished it? I'm not sure which gear to bring, bass or trout. Any thoughts????

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/08 11:11:46 (permalink)
    You've got both in there...

Rainbows and Browns are still down anywhere from 25-50 feet... 

Bass are all over...  LMBs by the docks... Smallies along the western shoreline and around the rocky island on the SW shoreline...  The docks by the Summer Camp on the eastern shore have LMBs, pickerel and pike...  And the camp should be empty this time of year so no one will give you dirty looks as you bomb crankbaits and "Jig n' Pigs" in there...

Great lake- and the ramp is rarely crowded...  In fact- even on awesome weekends there is usually still room to park in the small lot...  Not sure why it doesn't get hammered like some of the other lakes up there, but I sure ain't complaining!

I probably put in 10+ days up there this season, and always have a blast... Beautiful lake, nice fish, and a lot of diversity...  You will probably still need a downrigger or Jet Divers to get to the trout...  But trolling the deeper trench on the north section got me a few recently...  No big guys- but healthy 2-3lb fish...  And pretty as they come... 

I know an old man there who fished it religiously everyday with downrigger...  He tells me he has pulled out browns 7lbs+ and rainbows up to 4lbs...  I bet there are bigger of both species in there...

Good luck up there- let me know how it goes!  Here is a pic of the lake...  And a monster from the depths...  I would shoot for Smallies and Pike until the water cools a bit...  The pike fishery is very underated...  Books say they are rare, but I have had days when I caught four or five...  And yes- I know the difference between pike and pickerel...  Namely, I love the former and hate the latter...  Ha!

Here is a look:

The Loch Brant Monster

post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2008/09/08 11:14:56

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/08 15:54:54 (permalink)
    Jimmy, You forgot to tell him about them MONSTER PERCH!!!! When you find them you can hammer them and they are big!!!! Look for some good weeds, fish around them with a tubjig/fathead!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/09 07:25:47 (permalink)
    Thanks guy's! I am really looking forward to the trip. I only make it up north for a few trips each summer but Brant is a first. I am usually up around Saranac.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/15 07:34:57 (permalink)
    OK, I'm back from Brant. What a weekend. I got up there Friday afternoon around 3:30 and fished until dark in the pouring rain. The bite was very slow. Managed to pick up a few smallies. Went out Saturday morning around 6:30 and fished until 10:00am. Picked up a few more smallies and a nice sized pickeral. Went back out and did the same with an even bigger pickeral. Had to pack it in at around 3:30, I had to go to the wedding. All in all, it was a fun time and not a bad catch. Sunday was dismal as it rained all day again. Thanks Jimmy for the heads up! It was the same place you were talking about.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/17 00:22:24 (permalink)
    Hunter25, You should hit the lake thru the ICE!!!  

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/17 08:25:50 (permalink)
    I'm planning on it. I am a little sceptical of the walk, unless you fish right by the launch. I don't have a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: Brant Lake 2008/09/17 23:51:22 (permalink)
    I don't eather but I have friends that "DO"!!!! We should hook up this winter!!! I fish Lake George TOO!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: