Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts?

Author
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/06 20:51:03 (permalink)

Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts?

New to ice fishing, really something I've never wanted to do. Finally moved to SouthWestern Pennsylvania and have a pretty decent ice fishing lake around 15 minutes away. Something I'm looking forward to do in the Winter, waiting for Spring . Just wondering what you guys use & what are the things you need to know.. I don't mean how thick the ice is for instantance but rather best times and all that good stuff. Thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/06 20:57:44 (permalink)
    fly, what are your target fish?  for gills and crappies, pin mins and micro jigs tipped with maggots, mousies or some other larvae cannot be beat.  for walleyes, we use jigging raps, vibes and sonars.  late ice and early ice are usuallly best, but the most dangerous.  ice always gets weaker around shorelines, heavy vegetation and springs first.  cloudy days seemed to work for me best when i did it. 

there are a bunch of guys who just murder panfish through the ice up at presque isle.  seek their advice.  as you are close to arthur, there are a bunch here who work that lake.  keep this thread going as the season gets closer.

by the way, use light lines. 

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/06 21:23:52 (permalink)
    Thanks rapala. Only a fly fisherman but sitting on a nice lake catching trout is better than wading a very cold, high creek & noticing you have leaky waders, that's happened! I'll probably be fishing trout mostly, though if I get to it I'd like to do some bluegill here and there. Thanks again!
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/07 15:04:18 (permalink)
    Hey Fly fish, Your best bet would be to log on to Ice Shanty.com in another month or so. There are a lot of ice fisherman from your general vicinity. See if you can hook up with someone. They'll be able to help you get started. If you're only fishing for trout such as at Glade Run Lake or Herford Manor you probably wouldn't need electronics. If you target panfish (perch, bluegill, crappies) then a good fishfinder will increase your catch rate ten fold. If you are fishing for trout, any ultra light/light spinning rod/reel would work. If you want walleye, pike, and bass then you may want to try tip-ups with bait. Personally I prefer to jig with a rod in my hand rather than fish tip-ups. If I can be of any help e-mail me.   Lou
    post edited by Indiana Lou - 2008/09/07 15:05:00
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/07 17:19:36 (permalink)
    Yeah I'll probably be at Hereford. I'm not big on boats/canoes and I thought this would be a great way to really get access to where the fish are.. Is Glade Run any good? Been there once in the Spring stocking (sinful, I know!) and caught 7 rainbows. Not fly fishing, but still fishing and a good activity I see it.
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/07 20:47:54 (permalink)
    Fly fish, I usually don't target trout very much except first ice because that happens to be the first lake to freeze. I fish a small lake up near Ebensburg. My best day was 30 trout landed and released in about three hours. Since you are new to this you can use five rods or devices. I actually worked up a sweat running between rods. I jig one and "dead stick" the other four.  Trout can provide you with some good action. Personally I'd rather fish for crappies or perch since I don't eat trout.    Lou
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/07 23:24:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Yeah I'll probably be at Hereford. I'm not big on boats/canoes and I thought this would be a great way to really get access to where the fish are.. Is Glade Run any good? Been there once in the Spring stocking (sinful, I know!) and caught 7 rainbows. Not fly fishing, but still fishing and a good activity I see it.

Hereford is a good lake for icing trout, plus alot of other species. Does'nt really get hit that hard in the ice season.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/14 00:37:17 (permalink)
    Trout are easy through the ice,especially at hereford. Any jig will work. I like white trout magnets tipped with a maggot (don't really have to tip them).  Usually the shallower water in the lower lake is best (12 feet or less), but sometimes we find big schools in the deep too. Just out from the single stump in the far end of the lake (if that makes any sense) is always good. Last year the fall stocked fish were tough during first ice.  Once they stock again in January, fish the cove along the road for a couple days, after 3 or 4 days go to the far end by the stump, they'll be there the rest of the ice season. Guaranteed, every year for the last 25, never changes. It kinda stunk last year, they waited until late Feb. to stock again, we had a few shaky days of ice afterwards then it was gone.You'll know when it's good, you'll see the gang of 8 or 10 regulars there. Plenty of room, just don't get too close to my fat azz unless there 6 inches of ice

you really only need 1 rod to jig, at times I used to use more with bait, but it gets old. 

You don't need electronics, but they sure are fun. Give me a ice pole, a vexilar and a school of anything and I can sit there all day and play. I used to just fish a foot of the bottom with everything, but allot of times they will suspend and I've found more often than not the trout on the bottom will come up 5 or 6 feet to hit. I'll jig for a while (20 seconds)about 2 feet of the bottom, then raise it up 4 or 5 more feet for a little, then lower it.  When the school is in, they'll get it on the initial drop down the hole long before it reaches bottom.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/09/14 00:45:52
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/15 16:01:02 (permalink)
    Thanks stillhead, maybe I'll see you up there this winter...
    RIP SOME LIP
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/09/16 18:03:13 (permalink)
    Steelies bite well through the ice.  Same jigs as open water.  Mouth of Trout Run/Walnut Creek Marina/Presque Isle.  Jig one rod set 4 tip-ups with Emeralds.

If you really want to get into the sport, buy a Vexilar and a good portable shelter - in that order.
    arnold2008
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/10/07 05:45:55 (permalink)
    Many cars, trucks, SUVs, snowmobiles, and fish houses fall through the ice each year. Current environmental regulations require the speedy recovery of the vehicle or structure in this situation. Divers must be hired, and when the trouble occurs far from shore, helicopters may be employed for hoisting. Other risks associated with ice fishing include carbon monoxide poisoning from fish house heaters and frostbite due to prolonged exposure to wind and low temperatures, although most new houses are fitted with air exchange systems that allow air flow preventing poisoning.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Carhartt Sherpa Lines Jackets property in dubai

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Ice Fishing Do's & Don'ts? 2008/11/03 19:58:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: arnold2008

Many cars, trucks, SUVs, snowmobiles, and fish houses fall through the ice each year. Current environmental regulations require the speedy recovery of the vehicle or structure in this situation. Divers must be hired, and when the trouble occurs far from shore, helicopters may be employed for hoisting. Other risks associated with ice fishing include carbon monoxide poisoning from fish house heaters and frostbite due to prolonged exposure to wind and low temperatures, although most new houses are fitted with air exchange systems that allow air flow preventing poisoning.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Pa you are not allowed motorized vehichels on the ice.
    Jump to: