Perch Inc boards the Starcraft

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/03 22:16:05 (permalink)

Perch Inc boards the Starcraft

Met up with Kevin today on the Mohawk. It was absolutely beautiful out. Warm and calm, not too many boats out. The day started off prettly slow at our 1st stop, then we managed this tasty critter.

At our 2nd stop, we picked up a few smallies and bluegills. None were photo-worthy. Then Perch Inc looked around, and pointed us in the right direction. We picked up some more smallies and bluegills, plus these others.

Speckled catfish on a mister twister???

Another eye.

And another.

And yet another.

Thanks to Kevin for joining me in an awesome day of fishing. Next time we'll bring the fish cooler. (And the WD-40)

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

14 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/03 22:21:54 (permalink)
    Think I need some help with the pics.

post edited by HookLineSinker - 2008/09/03 22:23:08

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/03 22:22:25 (permalink)

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/03 22:24:07 (permalink)
    Think I need some help with the pics.

I got ya HLS  

Nice eyes boys !!!! Sweet !!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/03 22:28:18 (permalink)
    What was the bait of choice ?

I have fished that stretch before.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 09:26:27 (permalink)
    Hey Hook!

Finally found those walleyes!!!  Woo Hoo!!!  I have been meaning to track you down someday soon and get out on the water with you....  Hopefully we can do it sometime soon...

That stretch of the Mohawk below Lock 7 is a good one...  I watched a guy pull out a walleye near the old Niskayuna Train Station (halfway between Lock 7 and the Twin Bridges) that had to be over 7 pounds...  It was a BEHEMOTH...  While the Smallmouth get most of the press- the walleye and pike fishery is pretty impressive too...

Did you guys fish that big rock island just west of the Twin Bridges?  That spot always tempted me as a smalmouth haven- rocky ledge that drops to like 25ft- but I never seem to find much there...  Friggin' smallmouth always have me burning more fuel than I should!

I notice you were fishing with Greg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band...  Did you get his autograph?

Just kidding Kevin...  But I must admit- the resemblance is uncanny...  But I have no doubt you could whip Greg's butt in a panfish derby...  But he might have a slight edge in terms of piano skills...  "Im not gonna' let 'em catch the Midnight Rider"....

Looks like a great time...  Anyone else starting to feel like this is a full blown 'club', full of fishing stories and tales of whoa?  I love it....  We need to schedule another 'liars club meeting' sometime soon....

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 11:57:25 (permalink)
    Brain, We using a Cotton Cordell Wally Diver chartreuse PERCH!!!! I'll say it again THANKS JIMMY for the "Snyder Lake BUG" that seem to hit all the GANG!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 12:50:51 (permalink)
    Jimmy,
       Yeah, we fished that island just west of the twins. That's where we caught some little smallies and bluegills. It's usually a very good smallie spot. Looking at the last picture of Perch, you can pretty much figure out exactly where we were for the walleye. But the 1st one came near the boat launch by lock 6.
       If you want to get out this evening, send me a pm by 2:30, and I'll get in touch with you. I'll check my pm's then.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 13:49:35 (permalink)
    Nice fish you guys... looks like an awesome day ya's had. Can't have a fish fry from the Mohawk so i guess you had a fisherman fry instead <tossing SPF-45>
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 14:39:34 (permalink)
    NNY, We talked to a guy and his wife who were trolling by, they said they have been eating them(eyes) and that it was GREAT!!! I just might give them a try next time I get one!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 16:47:13 (permalink)
    I know another guy who eats them every once in a while out of there.

I wouldn't really call him normal though, he is a friend of mine LOL
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2008/09/04 16:48:47
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 18:55:52 (permalink)
    WTG Guys !!! I thinks I'm still recovering from Snyders....

Perch PM me ur phone number.
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2008/09/05 14:18:25
    mohawkriverdang
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/04 20:16:48 (permalink)
     I'll eat a small eye out of the mohawk every now and again .  15-18 " I dont trust the bigger ones that have been in there for a few years . More years means more floods means stirred up contaminates = tainted fish .  But the little guys are delishious .  Just as good as any panfish . They dont fight for S#!t but eat good .
    Huh Huh I said taint .
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/05 11:36:33 (permalink)
    Oh sure...  The Mohawk is a shining gem in the Upstate water supply...  I grew up right next to it and spent much of my high school career launching myself off the Rexford Bridge during lunch breaks from school... 

"Bridging" was a favorite pastime in my youth.  Day, night, whatever...  We'd jump off the old aquaduct, off the bridge railings, and twice from the top of the steel span...  It is a long friggin' ways, man... 

I only got intestinal distress about half the time...  That water used to get me pretty good, and yet I was back at it within a week or so...

Often times, beer was involved...  Hard to know if the craps came from the water in the Mohawk or the rediculously cheap beer we were drinking...

That river is WAY better than it was 25 years ago, and all water tests have proven that.  But it does have a very long way to go before we can start comparing it to the Schroon, Ausable or Indian Rivers...

In my estimation, it beats the Hudson in terms of water quality but falls well short of the Susquahanna...  Ironically (or not?) ), I rate the fishing the same way...  I have a soft spot for the Mohawk River smallies since my youth...  They seem to grow so fat in there, and fight like my old girlfriend...  Lots of fussing and a few big head shakes...

And the Tiger Muskies and Northerns add a cool element also...

I don't eat much fish anyways- but the Mohawk wouldn't be my first choice for table fare...  Then again, neither would any moving water south of Glens Falls... 

But I do have a few good fishing buddies who eat fish out of there all the time...  Check 'em out- they seem to be feeling just fine!

The fish consumption doesn't seem to be affecting any of them... 

You should see some of these guys SIGHT FISH!  It's amazing!  The first dude can spot a rising Bluegill at a distance of 4 or 5 MILES!!!  The second dude just plops his eyeballs into the river and can spot Walleye down 65ft... 

The third dude can't see a dam thing... But he is a really nice guy....

And last but certainly not least...  Here is "Hank"...  You should see this guy tie flies...  He is amazing with size #24 nymphs...  He really knows what he is doing and has an amazing attention to detail... 

post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2008/09/05 16:31:30

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Perch Inc boards the Starcraft 2008/09/05 13:58:25 (permalink)
    Jimmy, your not right LOL !!!! ... Funny as hell !!
    Jump to: