Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 295
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/02 15:21:09 (permalink)

Circle hooks for Cats

I used some size 1 circles for cats over the weekend.  They seemed
smaller than a normal size one. Also I had a hard time hooking the
chicken liver and keeping it on the hook. Any one ever use these
and is what is the best way to set the hook using these?

14 Replies Related Threads

vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/02 22:50:23 (permalink)
    don't set the hook!!! With circle hooks let the fish hook himself.
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 13:04:55 (permalink)
    I guess just lift the rod?
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 13:21:03 (permalink)
    I am using circle hooks in 8/0  mixed feelings about circles, lost a few good cats with the hooks. I have no idea what went wrong.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 13:40:54 (permalink)
    I had the same results. Tried regular and the hookups were more
    consistant.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 13:45:39 (permalink)
    Circle hooks are a better choice for big cats! You wont have any fish swallow your hook and you won't loose as many hooked fish if you do it right!

First, don't set the hook! Once you feel/see the bite just give the fish some line and about 10-15 seconds and just take up the slack. Once the fish pulls tight, the hook will work it's way to the corner of it's mouth and set itself. Circles are great for cats because of the soft rubbery mouths.

Removing a circle hook can be tough at times on a cat. So instead of trying to pull the hook out the way you would do a regular "J" hook, push the hook all the way through the direction of entry. Once the hooks eye is all the way through, just cut the line and retie the hook!

The key is NOT to set the hook...This will only pull the hook right out!

The one major selling point with circle hooks and cats is that you can set you two rods in holders and kick back and drink a few beers....Once the rod doubles over, FISH ON!!!
    Most of the time, leaving the rod in your holders will catch you more fish.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 14:27:41 (permalink)
    I like using circle hooks for cats but if i'm using hotdogs, chicken livers, or any other bait thats hard to keep on a regular hook then I will use a treble hook.

Try tying a small swivel to the end of your line, then get about a size 4 treble hook and push the eye of the hook through your bait, then attach the hook to your swivel.  Your bait will not come off the hook if you rig it up this way.  If you clamp the barbs of the hook down you should even be able to unhook fish that swallow the hook.
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 15:26:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your help guys. I think I'm going to start by going to
    a bigger circle.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 16:22:33 (permalink)
    That is one thing I forgot to mention....

Make sure the hook has a large enough gap for the jaw of the fish to fit into it!
    These manufactorers are making these smaller circle hooks and not giving then enough gap.

Take one of your hooks and test it this way...
    Close your hand around it and start pulling on the line slowly. Once that hook comes out of you hand it should come around and start to grab your finger or thumb. Now try to jerk it out fast and you'll see that it won't and will just pop out of your hand.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/09/03 16:24:48

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 16:56:47 (permalink)
    a size 1 cirle hook would be good for bullhead catfish but anything bigger than that and you'll want something larger.  i've had good success with size 1/0 and 2/0 gamakatsu cirle hooks for bullheads and channels up to about 20lb, if your targeting big flatheads you'll want to move up to 4/0 or bigger hooks.
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/03 22:29:47 (permalink)
    I've given up on circles found traditional hooks give me a better ratio..
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/04 10:03:40 (permalink)
    I've also given up on circles.  It seems to me that the hook gap isn't big enough for the thick lips of the big flatheads.  That's just my opinion though, I've got no evidence of that being true.  Lost confidence in circles.

I use 7/0 regular hooks now.

BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/24 06:34:09 (permalink)
    I have done a fair amount of cattin'  And using circle hooks worked fine for me.  Mikeg is right with circle hooks you have to let them hook themselves. Using liver is kinda tough but try stinging through the liver on the weak side first them the the thicker side . It work for me you just can't recast to much or it will fly off.  Or you can string through the liver then hook on a small sunfish/bluegill Believe me they like the variety pack LOL 

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/26 11:27:40 (permalink)
    I don't use them because I LIKE to set the hook, I LIKE feeling the rod stop in my hands. I can't stand just reeling them in, the hookset is 1/2 the fun.If you pay attention, you won't gut hook to many. Just my thoughts on the matter. Everybody has their own preference.
    fishawk59
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Circle hooks for Cats 2008/09/26 23:54:07 (permalink)
    I HAVE BEEN USEING CIRCLE HOOKS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW I USE A 4/0 HOOK FOR MOST SIZE CATEFISH AND AS BIG AS 11/0  I DONT TOUCH THE POLE UNTIL THE FISH HAS IT BENT OT PULLING GOOD THEN I JUST PICK UP THE POLE AND START REELING IN  . AS FOR LIVER I USE THE SAME HOOKS HOLD THE HOOD BY THE EYE IN LEFT HAND  HOOK THE LIVER COULPE TIMES ON HOOK THEN TAKE SOME SEWING THREAD  PUT LOOSE END UNDER THOUMB HOLDING HOOK EYE THEN START WINDING AROUND LIVER IN (LOOSE CIRCLES) FIRST ONE WAY THEN THE OTHER TILL U FORM A LIVER BALL. THEN JUST WRAP THE THREAD TIGHT AROUND THE HOOK NEXT TO YOUR THOUMB 3 OR 4 TIMES PULL TIGHT AND BRAKE OFF THREAD YOU DONG NEED TO TIE THE THREAD IT WILL STAY JUST FINE.  IF YOUR FISHING LAKE OR POND YOU DONT NEED SINKER YOU CAN CAST A LOND DISTANCE AND NOT TROW OFF LIVER IT WILL SINK JUST FINE . WHEN YOU REEL IN AND LIVER STIPPED OFF YOU DONT NEED TO CUT OFF OLD THREAD JUST REPEAT  AS SAID ABOVE A COUPLE MORE TIMES WHEN YOU GET TO MUSH OLD TREAD IN WAY JUST CUT OFF AND START OVER  I HAVE DONE THIS FOR YEARS WORKS GREAT. I ALSO USE A #4 OR #6 CIRCLE HOOK FOR BLUE GILLS WORKS GREAT DAONT AVE AS MANY HOOKS SWALLOED. ALSO ON THE COMENT ABOUT REMOVEING THE HOOK  IT IS A BIT HARDER  BUT JUST REVERSE THE DIRECTION THE HOOK WENT IN IN CIRCLE DIRECTION ALSO THE  HOOK REMOVER FROM CABELAS DONT REMEMBER THE NAME BUT COUST $24.00  YES A BIT EXPENCIVE BUT MAN ITS GREAT FOR REMOVING STANDARD  J  HOOKS AND CIRCLE HOOKS CLAMP ON AND GIVE QWICK JERK AND HOOK IS REMOVED YAAA
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT GOOD LUCK AND GREAT FISHING HAVE FUN
    P.S.  FOR GET PANTIE HOSE OR NETTING TO HOLD THE LIVER ON YOUR HOOK  THE TREAD IS ONLY WAY TO GO
    I HAVE COUGHT #50 CATFISH ON 4/0 HOOKS AND ALSO 20# CATFISH ON 2/0 CIRCLE HOOKD BUT I REALY PREFER 4/0 AS ALL AROUND HOOK
    Jump to: