Otsego Lake- Cooperstown

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/29 17:00:55 (permalink)

Otsego Lake- Cooperstown

I skipped work and went out to Glimmerglass State Park on Otsego Lake to visit my parents who are camping there while they outrun the storms at their house in Florida...

I haven't been to that lake in 20 year since I was a kid.  I forgot how beautiful it is there...  And only 9miles from Cooperstown makes it a great place to visit....  Hour and a half from Albany (70mi door-to-campsite)

My parents have my neice and nephew with them for the week (from Syracuse) before they have to start school next week.  I got my 5yr old nephew into some smallies by slowly trolling some soft plastic 'Tsunamis' behind the canoe with a tiny ultrlight he could hold onto tightly.

The Smallmouth bite was pretty hot on the north end of the lake...  And the sunset was awesome...  Here are a few quick shots of the newest fisherman in the family...  His first smallies ever...

The first fish was tiny and he loved it...  The second was pretty good sized and took him for a RIDE...  He held on tight, cranked away, and whipped it pretty good...  He was scared it was going to yank him out of the canoe!

When it was all over he just looked at me with huge eyes and said, "Uncle Jim, that was AWESOME"...  Watch out...  This lil' dude is REALLY going to be putting the hurt on 'em before too long!!!

Check it out:

Here is his first smallmouth-

Here is the bigger one that he hammered on

The sunset was awesome (Dad and Neice in kayak)

I am psyched to hve a new lil' fishing buddy!

Great kid...  Just another 17 years until I can feed him beers and invite him over for the 18th Annual Snyders Lake Shin Dig!
post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2008/08/29 17:02:18

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

5 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Otsego Lake- Cooperstown 2008/08/29 18:07:01 (permalink)
    Awsome Jimmy WTG .... !!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Otsego Lake- Cooperstown 2008/08/29 19:29:25 (permalink)
    Awesome Jimmy !
    Nothing like getting a kid into fishing early

Nice Pics !!

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Otsego Lake- Cooperstown 2008/08/30 02:04:49 (permalink)
    Excellent report Jimmy. That smallie must have def. taken him for a ride.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Otsego Lake- Cooperstown 2008/08/30 07:36:36 (permalink)
    GREAT Shots Jimmy!!!! Looks like he HOOKED!!! "Just another 17 years until I can feed him beers and invite him over for the 18th Annual Snyders Lake Shin Dig!"  Way to look ahead!!! I like your THINKING!!!! 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Otsego Lake- Cooperstown 2008/08/30 09:55:59 (permalink)
    Jimmy, great pics, a good reminder how much we have to appreciate! excellent post because this is really what it is all about! Our american backwoods are treasures for family friends and all who honor the flag! Happy labor day weekend! I'm off from here till thursday but taking my time.. just had a 24bug stomache flu.. I want to pick up my crawdad at my bros place and take it out with a buddy up in the del. for possible eyes this weekend. I got my ultra lights rigged , tackle bag set up for this night fishing trip..rapalas/ my jigs..even might try working a 3" gulp alive smelt like a rapala.. I have my slip float rigging stuff  for live lining worms etc. I should be out there now but it is labor day crowds I bet everywhere on that river especially the deep pools. I might leave early and try the neversink res. first.  what kind of camera is that? I still am looking for a worthy point and shoot for those special moments. Read the canons have the best pic quality but I really want a shock proof waterproof  freeze proof like the olympus .maybe somebody here ccan recommend a good point and shoot to look into?
    Jump to: