2010/02/01 08:23:16
doubletaper
latex caddis

hook; mustad c49s curved caddis
thread; brown*
weight; .010 lead wire
body; latex strip
thorax; brown rabbit fur*
tint; olive green or limepeel prisma color marker (optional)
note * use black thread if making thorax out of black fur

material

i know what you'r thinking!!
you can buy the latex finger gloves at most pharmacies. unroll one and cut an oval strip (very sharp scissors makes a neater cut) from the oval strip cut in a single straight stip at an angle.

1. wrap a thead base on the hook and counter wrap lead wire leaving room to tie in latex behind and thorax in front

2. fold latex strip and tie in at bend with fold down and facing you

3. wind latex spiraling towards front in even wraps.
4. tie off latex in front of lead leaving room for thorax

5. dub thorax with brown rabbit fur
6. make head with brown thread and whip finish.

walla!

tinting latex caddis with prismacolor marker.
tint after tying in latex. start at butt of body and sweep the marker over the body towards the front of fly.

olive green

limepeel with black thorax

finished products
2010/02/01 08:28:13
steely34
DT - thanks for the addition and for taking the time. I love those prismatic markers - in fact I gotta get some more colors. Guess another trip to AC Moore craft shop! Thanks again. Love it!
2010/02/01 08:59:56
Cold
Nice "Tute" for a killer, simple fly.

If I ever put together a kit for tying on the go, this will be one of the patterns I make sure I'm able to tie.
2010/02/15 10:23:12
harrypelles
Using the finger gloves is definitely much easier than the full latex gloves I started tying a few with. Still though, I never came even close to your perfect wraps. It seems so simple but can get hairy. You do a really nice job with 'em though.
2010/02/16 17:44:28
slimyrock
Though I am Just a begining tyer, I tried this demostration.  After about the third one, I got one that was pretty good, though not perfect like yours.  IMO your caddis is a very life like representation.  Thanks for the tute DT.
2010/05/20 20:51:37
Skip16503
DT  I remember you sending me a few of these....  They spanked the trout for me  I picked up some latex and tied a few for my box  today

Thanks for the Tute
2010/05/21 08:20:21
fishenfool46
very nice dt i have to third the markers or you can tie these with what is called nymph stretch skin i also lay an under body and wrap with scud back 1/8 or 1/4 sizes it doesn't matter.
2010/05/21 08:24:49
dano
NICE  
2010/05/21 08:42:55
Cold
A local stream has bright green caddis larvae that build...cases...that are more like a little igloo made of stones on the undersides of rocks. They're really bright minty green, almost to the point that they look fake. Anyone have similar bugs, and if so, do you have a favorite marker to get that color?
2010/05/21 09:23:12
Esox_Hunter
Cold, tons of the caddisflies you described exist in the LJ and Big Fishing Creek. I never used a latex caddis to immitate them, so I can't help on the marker selection.

I use another pattern that works very well for me and is insanely simple.

-Start using a #12-18 caddis hook with a black bead
-Wrap a thread base using UTC chartruese
-Tie in a piece of micro-tubing
-Use your thread to create a tapered body
-Wrap tubing to the bead
-Whip it off and go fish

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account