September ocean fishing VA, NC OR SC

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6101
  • Reward points : 0

September ocean fishing VA, NC OR SC

I am going to Raleigh mid September and plan on going to a pier with 7yo nephew.
Trying to decide if I want to go as far north as Virginia Beach,  in the middle to Nags Head or Emerald Isle area
or as far south as Myrtle Beach.
On some visits the fishing has been great with a catch every few minutes.
Spots and flounder are good but luv when the pompano are running.

I hate hearing you should of been here last week or they should be in next week

This is when the water starts to cool and the fish start to come near shore.
I have been to Myrtle many times and think the water might still be a little warm

We went to Atlantic beach and stayed at the Sheraton around 4 or 5 years ago and was not impressed.
The last 1/3 of the pier was closed and the placed seemed overpriced and run down.
On a couple of previous stays there the place seemed much nicer.

I have been on a few charters and head boats and will probably go on something this visit also.
Nico has been OK on my boat but I don't think he is ready for a 4-8hr trip, so I will probably do that alone.

When he was around 2

About a year ago

post edited by pghmarty -

51 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2633
    RE: September ocean fishing VA, NC OR SC (permalink)
    We did well just beach fishing in '04 in mid-sept. Ivan had just gone through and it took a couple days for the beach to settle down (breaking onto the dunes) but we had steady fishing all day long on double drops with 1" mullet chunks in the first and second guts. Lots of puppy drum, small stripers, small blues and trout. Did catch a couple small flounder but we were lazy and only fishing cut bait on the bottom in rod holders. Waves never calmed down enough for me to swim out a shark bait beyond the third bar all week which disappointed me.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    I sold both of my surf rods a few years ago.
    Now I wish I didn't and will probably buy 2 more. Just what I need is more rods

I was at Springmaid Beach after Katrina and the fishing was good but ended up sick from all of the mold.

On last years visit to Myrtle I planned on going on a charter but sis took 5 hours to leave house after work Friday. We did not get in til 3:30am and I needed to be at dock before 7.
    12 hours on a boat after less than 3 hours sleep in rough water-no thanks.
    Saturday was nice but pier fishing was only fair at hotel pier and not much better at Cherry Grove.
    That night we were blessed with a tropical storm. From my room I could see the chairs and tables blown into the pool Sunday morning.

I'M STILL MAD AT HER Might take 2 vehicles for the 3 of us so that something like this does not happen again.

We headed north to Wilmington looking for better weather.
    Took Nico out on Johnny Mercer Pier. For the first half hour we were the only ones out there.
    The winds were getting stronger but a few others came out but almost nothing landed!
    I never had much luck at that pier but it's concrete construction is very solid.

There was a hurricane warning on one of my stays at Atlantic Beach and the day before evacuation was beautiful. Calm water, light breeze and sunny.

I also go south around Christmas-New Years but when surf or pier fishing mainly only find small sharks.

With half day headboats at $65 and full day at $100 I might as well try to get added to a charter for a few more $.

No matter where we go I plan on bringing FRESH shrimp, blood worms, fishbites and probably fresh cut bait.
    The bait on headboats can be improved a lot!

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    You don't need the hvy gear to do the bait soaking we were doing. I had some of my heavy gear out but I caught just as many on a hvy bass outfit that actually had pretty light line (7' M action baitcaster with a Shimano Curado Cu-201) w/ 12# test.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    The rods I sold were 12' and 14'
    I still have 9' heavy rods with Penn SS7500 and Diawa 4500 reels that can toss 2-3oz
    That extra 3-5 foot adds some distance but if I check during low tide might not need to go out very far to get in a trench or hole.

I also sold my Penn Senators because I prefer spinning reels

Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 220
    Im going to the outerbanks next week and planning on doing a lot of fishing. What size line would you guys reccomend for sharks from the beach? I have #15 on one of my rods right now and not sure about my other pole but I will be relining them before I go any suggestion on what pound line?

Lets Go Pen's!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Look at the rod.
    There should be line weight and lure weight recommendations.

Smallie Wader
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    I fish for shark with 12-15# line. It's good for 4', even some 5' shark from the surf. I know, most guys fish for Bass with heavier line. The key is wire leaders or a 50-100# mono leader. I prefer wire. You'll lose some to the tail cutting line before anything else. Bigger shark will spool you out before snapping your line.
    post edited by Smallie Wader -
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    Im down here in the outerbanks now caught 8 blues from the surf yesterday casting gotcha's after that caughtabout 30 croaker off the beach.

Lets Go Pen's!
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1325

ORIGINAL: Dan0348

Im down here in the outerbanks now caught 8 blues from the surf yesterday casting gotcha's after that caughtabout 30 croaker off the beach.

What beach area are you fishing?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    Im fishing right past the Jennettes Pier. I was catching the blues walking up and down the beach following the schools in the surf chasing the baitfish.

Lets Go Pen's!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    I talked my sister out of going to Myrtle Beach-I wanted to go north to cooler waters.
    Now she wants to go to Florida or California again-the shopping is better
    I just wanted a simple 3 night trip to the ocean within 4 hours of her house.
    With all of the planes flying in and out of Oceana Naval Air Station VA beach is not relaxing.
    Jeanett's Pier looks good and I have done well at Bogue Inlet.
    Might look into staying at Sheraton Atlantic Beach if the pier is repaired and they have remodeled.

Now Nico wants to also go fishing near his house at Falls Lake so I will be bringing light - medium tackle also. Probably going to try for catfish, bass and crappie.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    PGHMarty,
    Just got back from VA Beach and the F-18s weren't too bad. We got in on Thursday and they were bad until dusk but nothing at night. The weekend was pretty tame and again, no night manuevers. Saw a carrier coming in on Friday so I assume they were training on Thursday and doing carrier landings. Pairs were taking off every 5-10 mins. for several hours.

Made it home on Monday in 6.5 hrs door to door with one stop in Maryland. Even did the DC route (I-95 to 495 to 270) instead of heading up through Winchester on 50/17 and up 522. If any travel times were even remotely close to rush hr, I'd avoid 495 like the plague though. It is all torn up with lots of construction zones.

I didn't take a fishing rod since we were there for so short but there were lots of small pompano (not big enough to catch on reg. surf gear) in the wash. Saw birds working on a couple different days but they were out of casting range. I am sure there were fish just past the breakers but the water was sandy and everytime I tried to get out to the clean water with the snorkel gear, the lifeguards blew their whistles at me...

Did see a couple small plate size stingrays in the wash and first gut and was worried about the kids but both made it out without any jellyfish stings or stingray accidents. Waves were perfect for body surfing.
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    Water has warmed up to 76 degrees today fishing should be good here tonight ill be heading back out to the pier this morning only caught a few small blues off the pier. Looks like we might get a good day or 2 of fishing before the hurricane screws everything up.

Lets Go Pen's!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    I wonder if any of the hotels or piers were damaged?

DC reminds me of Pittsburgh-If there are 2 roads going the same direction both have construction at the same time.
    I'll never drive through there between 7am and 8pm

Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    None of the piers are damaged yet.... A friend of mine works on the Jennettes pier he was saying they will probably be the only pier left if its a category 4 storm like its susposed to turn into.

Lets Go Pen's!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Went to Topsail Island for the day and fished at Jolly Rodger pier.
    Found fresh shrimp near bridge to island.
    Saw a few nice pompano landed when I got there.
    All I caught was small spots and pinfish.
    Crabs were stealing the bait as fast as I could toss it to them.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4497

ORIGINAL: pghmarty
    Saw a few nice pompano landed when I got there.

The old "this is going to rule" tease of seeing what your after caught when you pull in... Glad you were able to make it out at least. I'm already looking to make it back out to the beach soon. I need some of my NJ clients to get me some work during the striper migration!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Topsail Island Monday

Shrimp boat

Mikastorm
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7884
    Now that just looks too darn nice...!

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Yeah, those pictures make me mad that I am sitting at work and not on the beach... Water looks clear. Surprised you didn't get into the pompanos.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5447
    I've fished Hatteras in mid to late November before, lots of big blues but it is frickin' cold and miserable...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5463
    I will be on Hatteras October 6-10.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Are they still ferrying people on and off of the island? It would be cool to check out that new inlet before they fill it back in (if they do).

Bulldog - pretty sure Hatteras in late November is about the same as Erie in mid October...
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5463
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

Are they still ferrying people on and off of the island? It would be cool to check out that new inlet before they fill it back in (if they do).

I don't know. I have a friend who is a chef and lives in Kill Devil Hills. He fishes a little bit, but not that much. I plan on hitting that spot where the new inlet is, if it's still there. that swath it cut through the road, if we're talking about the same thing, looked so bad I think they'll need to build a bridge.

May try his kayaks in the sound. Will also be walking the beach with a fly rod and sinking line hoping to get lucky on a fish and throwing sticks for the dog.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Probably the same. It is pretty big. At the end of Pea Island. I've read that they are going back to the drawing board on the Bonner Bridge. It may end up being 17 miles long, from OI to Rodanthe. I think over top of the sound. If they do, they plan on leaving the inlet be. There was plans for a temporary bridge as well, but not sure if it was completed. There was another cut, in Mirlo Beach, that I think they filled in. That, and the normal foot or two of sand covering Rt 12 the length of the Pea Island reserve, although likely cleaned up by now.

It would be cool to just see, even cooler to catch a fish out of either of them. Kind of a once in a lifetime event...

That would be pretty awesome living down there year round. I thought about taking a year after school to see what I could have found down there.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    D-,
    You going to get in on a tuna charter out of Hatteras or OI? That should be about the time that the schools of yellowfin are out there.

You could probably get on a "make-up" charter and just split expenses with another smaller party.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Weather report will decide where to go tomorrow to avoid rain along coast.
    Fishing reports on pompano will also play a part.
    Mid week I plan on finding a make up charter for yellowfin tuna- Hatteras is looking pretty good for this

Was around 70* and sunny today in Raleigh.
    It's funny hearing the locals complain about how cold it is and my parents having a frost warning last night
    Bunch of wimps would never survive north of Rt 80 Oct-May

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    Are they still ferrying people on and off of the island? It would be cool to check out that new inlet before they fill it back in (if they do)

From weather channel:
    Visitors were allowed to return to some villages via ferry on Hatteras Island Thursday for the first time since Hurricane Irene, including Avon, Buxton, Frisco, and Hatteras.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: