Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
WALLEYE18
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/02 18:37:21 (permalink)

SPILLWAY MADNESS

SOMEONE RECENTLY ASKED IF ANYONE HAD A PICTURE OF THE MADNESS AT THE SPILLWAY.IF SO PLEASE POST SO ALL CAN SEE WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS ARE FISHING THERE.I DO AGREE WITH OTHER POSTS THAT SHOULD BE CLOSED.TILL WALLEYE COMES IN STATE WIDE EVEN THOUGH PYMATUNING IS YEAR ROUND.IT IS SICKENING THAT THESE GUYS/WOMEN CALL THEMSELVES FISHERMEN/LADIES.SORRY ABOUT THE YELLING

83 Replies Related Threads

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/02 21:50:03 (permalink)
    Something isnt, it a joke.
    JumboPerch#r
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/03 09:25:53 (permalink)

plus 5 boats sitting right out from them
    post edited by JumboPerch#r - 2008/04/03 09:26:36
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/03 16:18:11 (permalink)
    Where ever theirs fish you'll have that,Go to the Maummee river,Sandusky river,and a lot of Erie tribs, its crowded, the spillway things been going on since 1958,The local old timer told me,I've done it on and off since 72,back them it was a low keyed thing now its not, I'll bet my house they will never close it down,this draws more and more revenue( a lot big fines). Ohio not going the shout down the the Maumee and Sandusky either,the revenue,keep snagged fish and pay the price,these places make a guy really want the get a fish in the mouth,not snag it,I've seen tons of steelheads LIFTED,but the real fisherman  wants get them to bite,just like the eyes at the spillway.No these crowed places aren't for everybody and are not my favorite,but if you love to fish,your going to do it the RIGHT WAY.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 18:08:51 (permalink)
    yesterday @ 6 pm, there were 18 boats in a 50 square yard area and the wall was ****s to elbows, had a good laugh on the way by
    post edited by bluntman - 2008/04/06 18:09:19
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 18:58:59 (permalink)
    I've heard that there have been a couple fist fights and last week someone even pulled a gun! Gotta love the locals!!
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 19:38:16 (permalink)
    ####ing pathetic, seriously. They sell that #### in grocery stores, too. Wonder if these people realize that? Neanderthals, LOL...
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 19:47:38 (permalink)
    Typical greedy self centered uneducated toothless beer drinkin dog beatin yokels!!!!!!!
    post edited by Kokanee Killer - 2008/04/06 19:49:43

I have become comfortably numb
    CAP78
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 20:55:43 (permalink)
    Stopped at the spillway today on the way back home.  Was there 5 minutes and saw someone keep a foul hooked 'eye.  The place was packed with guys at the wall and about 10 boats in the water.  It was my first time there and I can say I'll never go back.  
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/06 21:08:05 (permalink)
    kokanee, you forgot that they dine on goat vomit while waiting for a spot on the wall..........lmao 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 08:00:21 (permalink)
    Left at 200 this morning and never got a spot near the wire. They just camp on that spot as you watch them catch fish. Bummer!

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 08:26:32 (permalink)
    Mikastorm,very hard place to fish,I was there 3 times in the last 10 days,got there between 3 and 4 pm each time,and never fished till 10pm to midnight,did do very well but the SAME 8 or 10 locals NEVER leave the wall.The weekend is a REALLY bad time to try the spillway.But some of us do work not the wall rats,there has been a few words between fishermen but no fist fights,and (I was there)the hand gun thing was about some young kid saying he was going to shoot some geese.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 09:04:41 (permalink)
     You actually go there and wait for 4-8 hours so you can get a spot to fish??
    I just can't picture any limit of wally's worth standing around all night for. If you were fishing the whole time that is a different story.
    I guess if they are starving and can't buy food and can't catch them the rest of the year cause they aren't stuck in a barrel.
    Sorry fellas but I guess I value the fishing experience way more than I do "The Limit". Most all of the folks that say they fish there never regale how good of an experience or how much fun they had. It is usually about how quick they got their"Limit".
    Not a big fan of combat fishing.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 09:39:48 (permalink)
    BINGS,some of us can't fish anytime we want,I work seasonal from mid April to November,and MAY GET IF I''M LUCKEY four or five days off all summer.Yes,I can buy all the food I need,these trips to Pymy aren't cheap,It's 160 miles round trip and gas is $ 3.35 a gallon and My ride gets about 12 miles to the gallon,my son and I only leagally caught 27 eyes in three trips,so I'd say WE PAID FOR THEM,you **** about me and my kid,but SAY NOTHING ABOUT THE LOCAL CROWD THAT HURTS THE LAKE THE MOST,some off them get 200 eyes ever year at the spillway.WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH 200 EYES A YEAR? No I'm not a fan of combat fishing,but if I want to do it, Its my problem,stay away from the spillway,the locals will be happier,that more eyes for them. I've fished a lot of places that were just as zoo like,Erie tribs for steely's,Maummee River shoulder to shoulder for eyes,and lets not foget Pa. trout opener. I can't help it I like to fish.Wish I had more time to fish like you ,but I don't.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 10:40:02 (permalink)
    Big Tuna, sorry didn't mean to ruffle feathers. It was more directed to the local crowd that never leaves and isn't happy until they fill the freezer.I dislike fish scabs(keep every legal fish they put a hook in.) as much as the next guy maybe more. I'm am not saying there is anything Wrong with what they are doing as long as they are legal. It is just not my cup of tea fishing that way and I explained why.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 11:04:51 (permalink)
    No feathers ruffled,just showing you my side to the post,I'd rather be trolliing in May(Pymy),or better yet have the mouth of July at Erie,but a man's got to make money and keep the wife happy.My biggest beef is the gread,at Pymy and Erie (or anywhere) what can people do with that many fish?My son and I keep about 50 eyes a year from,Pymy and one weekend trip a year to Erie,we have a hard time eating 50 fish(a family of 4).I just wonder what % to fish caught get wasted? This crap about throwing out last years to make room the this years is stupid,Everbody should make a effort to take what they can used,and not a bragging contest.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 11:06:31 (permalink)
    I don't know what you guys are so ****y about.  I just got done putting 3 bigass walleye in the freezer, and had a blast fishing all night (ahem, I mean morning) for them.  The locals were just as happy to help net my walleye as I was to net their carp.(you know, so I could get back to fishing the drop)  It was a whole lotta work, using even more patience, but it was a crap load of fun. 

BTW- the locals couldn't believe I was leaving with the hot hand just as the bite came back on.  The guy I was next to actually held off the next guy in to make sure I was serious about leaving.  Wifey had to get to work, and I'm her ride.

Thanks John!  We'll do it, and more, real soon.  See you at Oil Creek.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/07 22:26:16 (permalink)
    Good to hear you got on the spot Tim. If I didn.t have to be at the Docs.
    I,ld have stayed with you two for sure. Had fun anyways and ya will do it again. Still don,t know why we couldn,t get anything going by the dam.

See ya at the oily creek.

bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/08 05:21:07 (permalink)
    [ I've fished a lot of places that were just as zoo like,Erie tribs for steely's,Maummee River shoulder to shoulder for eyes,and lets not foget Pa. trout opener. ]

if your fishing in combat in erie tribs or first day of trout u need to fish somewhere else.some people dont mind lots of company and thats fine... i just know thats not for me.my first steelhead trip was to manchester hole and i hated it.lucky for me CAPTAIN HOOK took us to elk one time and i have fished it ever since...
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/08 15:20:30 (permalink)
    I know that between Christmas gifts and the once a week meal of 'eyes my daughter and I eat, we EASILY go through 250 'eyes a year.  I have about 8 or 9# of fillets left from last year and that has to last until mid June or so when the 'eye bite starts heating up on Erie.

I have no problem with anyone keeping fish, as long as they don't go to waste.

crappiechuck
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/08 18:03:41 (permalink)
    Why do they allow people to fish from the spillway? I love to eat fresh walleye but to keep more than you can eat in 1 month is a waste. Freezing them for too long destroys the taste and texture of the fish.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/08 21:27:41 (permalink)
    Vaccum seal, you should use.

Keep your meats and fish well preserved, it does. 

Jedi magic, it is not. 

Use the Force, or use the Seal-A-Meal.  A wise weekend warrior would use the power of the vaccum, he would.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 01:37:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

I know that between Christmas gifts and the once a week meal of 'eyes my daughter and I eat, we EASILY go through 250 'eyes a year.  I have about 8 or 9# of fillets left from last year and that has to last until mid June or so when the 'eye bite starts heating up on Erie.

I have no problem with anyone keeping fish, as long as they don't go to waste.

two people 250 eyes and 52 weeks in a year... 2.4 fish per person to eat? every week? haha..yeah alright...4 big fillets all consumed in a meal?..either they are the smaller sized fish or you make nothing else to eat but fish....

anyone else kinda care to disagree that he uses them all no waste...none whatso ever? not cook a bunch of eyes...eat what you can..whats left over throw away but not count that as wasting it..? psh.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 04:04:54 (permalink)
    Umm........We eat eyes at least once or twice a week.  Typically cook 8 fillets per meal.  If I am lucky I may get one for a leftover for the next day's lunch.  If we assume only one meal a week, That is over 200 fish a year.  That doesn't count the huge meals that I cook at camp and parties throughout the year.  I do give some away, but have no problem going through 400 keepers.   Less in real good crappie and perch years.   Plus the carcasses get used as coon bait.  No waste.

I freeze mine in a ziploc freezer bag full of water.  The meat gets surrounded by water and doesnt get freezer burnt.  I just ate a pack of perch that I found in the back of the freezer from 06 and it tasted fine.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 10:04:36 (permalink)
    Hate to say this but, a friend of mine that does not fish, his son, caught a load of eyes in the last 2 weeks and a guy offered him 5 bucks a pound. He sold this guy 50 lbs. of fillets. Not legal! I informed him about this and hopefully his son will wise up. Just wonder how many other people do this or give them away.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 10:07:55 (permalink)
    And for an update. Fished from 5-11 last night and only saw 1 legal eye caught. There were 7 boats and 18-20 people near the chain. I was on the rail the whole time, alot of carp, no eyes. Is the run done?

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 12:38:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Umm........We eat eyes at least once or twice a week.  Typically cook 8 fillets per meal.  If I am lucky I may get one for a leftover for the next day's lunch.  If we assume only one meal a week, That is over 200 fish a year.  That doesn't count the huge meals that I cook at camp and parties throughout the year.  I do give some away, but have no problem going through 400 keepers.   Less in real good crappie and perch years.   Plus the carcasses get used as coon bait.  No waste.

I freeze mine in a ziploc freezer bag full of water.  The meat gets surrounded by water and doesnt get freezer burnt.  I just ate a pack of perch that I found in the back of the freezer from 06 and it tasted fine.

Thanks!

Proof I am not a bull lifter or a bull Sh#%&er. 

Cut the fillets up into bite size chunks and fry 'em.  Its easy to go through that much.

Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 17:48:06 (permalink)
    ...well storm you said you and your daughter..i still find ithard to believe taht you eat 10 fillets every sitting between 2 people. every week in and out..same 10 fillets.

we usually do cut them up when we eat them.

hah i wasnt talking about carcass being "waste" musky..

thats how we freeze fish too..we'll have some fish left over from year. like you said they still taste fine, i do prefer the fresh.

i just am curious still..i know between 3 ppl im my house..20 fillets of panfish are enough for us. that doesnt equal the eye fillets you are talking about eating in one sitting. we just dont eat fish...we have fries,coleslaw, poppers.
    SO question is, do you cook anything else with your fish? or you just eat the fish fillets..
    crappiechuck
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 18:45:19 (permalink)
    Fresh is best. Whole scaled fish on the BBQ basted with olive oil, oregano, sea salt and dash of white pepper. Served with halved fingerling potatoes, and asparagus spears steamed and slightly buttered. Beats the hell out of FRIED fillets and french fries over and over again. Also cuts down on heart attacks and the ever expensive 2 or 3XL sweatpants needed by the fish killers on the spillway.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: SPILLWAY MADNESS 2008/04/09 23:32:57 (permalink)
    Mikastorm,Id say it's winding down at the spillway,may happen if it cools down and rains,but from past years its over when they have their open house.Also to all the big fish eater, I'm glad you can consume 250 -400 eyes a year as long as their used I have no problems,but I still don't think we could eat walleyes that much,I know its great eating but 100 plus dinners a year is to much for me personally,I like a something different once in awhile.I fished Erie  from 79 -92 ,saw the coming of downriggers,wire line,dipsey divers,jets,boards,flat lines,drop weights,I know who to deep water fish,we caught 1000's of eyes, we chased eyes in 3 states ohio,Pa,Ny.we start in Ohio and end in Dunkirk Ny. then head to Olcott Ny for kings,coho's,steely's and brown. All I did was fillet fish( buy a truck load of freezer bags) and give them all away,my family mooched( enjoyed giving it to family and friends,but some people can get a little demanding and always want more.Due to my work,I can no longing fish my summer away.I always supplied the eyes for 3 or 4 huge fish fry party's each summer, and the huge X mass eve fish dinner.I gave 95% of the salmiods away,smoked a little and cold pack a few jars.Back them they had consumption Advisory only on salmon from Ont.,but I always thought the fish from Erie had the same bad stuff in them,and they did put it on the Erie fish later on. In todays good health living are you worried about eating that much fish from Erie? I am ! Same reason I don't smoke,it causes cancer.I you know somthing is bad for your health,why would you eat that much of it. I ate plenty of Erie eyes in the past,but since 92 I doubt if I eat 4 meals a year,and I know that their is plenty of bad stuff in store bought food also.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: