Surf casting cannons

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2024/03/23 07:49:17 (permalink)

Surf casting cannons

Anybody have any experience with these casting cannons for surf fishing? I bought a few surf rods for this summer and these seem to be the ticket for increasing some casting distance and easing string bite on the index finger with braid. 

My rifle is a black rifle

12 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/23 11:21:51 (permalink)
    I had one. They have their advantages and disadvantages. If using braid with “8 n’ bait” especially when raining or hands wet, they beat having finger tape or slicing your finger open.

I tested it in an open field vs just regular finger casting with 4oz, which is about the biggest that I usually use for weight. About the same distance. Maybe if used all of the time and dialed it in, could be more? The last cast I made, the weight was sunk all of the way to the knot. Those would definitely kill someone if you ever hit them.

I took off, mainly since it was just uncomfortable when reeling in and felt in the way and didn’t use for most of my saltwater fishing. I had attached with wire ties. Maybe a better way to attach it to increase comfort? Then of course when I was planning to do some heavier baits in the rain, I couldn’t find where I put it, so I wouldn’t lose it…. I also took it off since my aim was a bit off with it. Sometimes needed to wrap it 2 times other 3. They take practice, which I didn’t do enough to be comfortable with it. Sometimes wrapping it too much would have it catch and really bad casts, imagine could break off casts too. With that whole chance of killing someone on a bad cast, I didn’t want to chance it. Just be careful and try to dial it in with practice if you can. Avoid crowds at first.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/23 11:56:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I plan to use it with my heavy rods for shark. Probably will be throwing 4 ounces of weight or more plus the chunk of bait which will weigh quite a bit. I saw some guy wrapping 3-4 times but I would worry about it catching and breaking off. I guess I just need to play with it a bit in some open parks to see if I like it before hitting the beach with it. 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/23 15:49:37 (permalink)
    Just wear a pair of Leather gloves....

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/23 19:23:34 (permalink)
    The way I look at it, if they work, they are cheaper than a casting glove and it will be one less thing to carry. Watching YouTube videos, the guys that are into long casting with spinning gear swear by them. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/23 19:31:20 (permalink)
    For sharks, I guess you wouldn’t have too much of an issue of breaking off, if 60# braid or more. I think more of an issue with striper/bluefish/pompano rigs with 20# leaders. I’ve had many times the bail close during casts and the rig busts and flies out without my line.

Definitely good call practicing. Just got to remember the saltwater is a lubricant. So the wraps that you practice might be different. Maybe take a spray bottle with salt water?

Regardless, you’ll be at the beach. So, you could get a birds nest on every cast and still be winning! You going any time soon? I’m waiting for the NJ reports to start up. Have a job lined up, hoping they don’t get to antsy and need me out before things heat up. Back side schoolie stripers should be around, so won’t be a complete miss if I have to go soon.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/24 07:45:10 (permalink)
    We are hitting Emerald Isle the first week of June this year. 

On the shark rods, I will be running #65 braid to 150 mono leader with a FG knot. #150 crane swivel to wire to 12/0 circle hook.  

This will be my first time trying the FG knot. I like to run a sinker slider and the FG will slide through since it is a small diameter but the FG scares me a little since it isn't a true knot. I have been tying some for practice and they do seem to hold well, but I don't want the leader to slip and slide right on through if I get a big boy on. 

Anybody use the FG? Other knots are to big to slide through a sinker slider. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/25 13:46:46 (permalink)
    I have not used that knot. But image what you are casting, you probably wouldn’t break off unless you really got caught in the cannon trigger or something. Unless you wrapped it 7-8 times. I think the strength of your set up would likely unstick it or be like a giant whip and come back at your feet.

I wanted to do EI this year, but my group had way too many “needs”…. Ocean front, pool, elevator, walking distance to shops/restaurants and a few others. We’ll be checking out Hatteras Village. First time for me. We’ve stayed in Avon 6 times and spent time down in Hatteras, but never stayed there.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/25 16:45:33 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I wanted to do EI this year, but my group had way too many “needs”…. Ocean front, pool, elevator, walking distance to shops/restaurants and a few others. We’ll be checking out Hatteras Village. First time for me. We’ve stayed in Avon 6 times and spent time down in Hatteras, but never stayed there.

Emerald Isle is nice becuase it faces south. The prevailing SW winds of North Carolina result in an onshore wind there compared to a offshore wind in the OBX. Water is warmer and clearer as a result.  Pretty cool that there is usually tutle nests around as well, and if oyu are lucky, you may come across a fresh crawl or be able to witness a hatch in late summer. We missed a hatch by a few days last year. There were two nests right in front of our condo. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/25 21:13:38 (permalink)
    We have done three trips to EI. For NC, it is my favorite. We have stayed in The Point area twice. I love it there. Only issue I have with the area is a major lack of backwater access. Pretty much need a kayak/boat to fish the backwaters. The point itself has some backwater access.

Hatteras and Frisco are also south facing. They have the similar clearer water as compared to the towns to their north. With a lot of backwater access too. The Point at Hatteras (Buxton actually) is amazing, but a PIA to get to if you don’t have an ORV permit. The Hatteras Bight, just to the south is a live aquarium if the conditions are right. Instantly drops 50’ crystal clear with sharks, rays and gamefish all swimming around in a huge fish bowl. I’ve seen dolphins less than 10’ from shore in 50’ of water cruising the drop off. Spinner sharks jumping clear out of the water doing spins.

Those two are nothing compared to Destin/Fort Walton Beach, FL though. The water is Caribbean clear there most days. The amount of sharks hanging around their pier is insane. 10’-15’ tiger sharks cruising around and can see their markings in 30’ or so water. The fishing there is crazy with the amount of species. They are currently catching black fin tuna from their fishing pier!
    post edited by Porktown - 2024/03/25 21:15:00
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/26 12:30:34 (permalink)
    Porktown
    We have done three trips to EI. For NC, it is my favorite. We have stayed in The Point area twice. I love it there. Only issue I have with the area is a major lack of backwater access. Pretty much need a kayak/boat to fish the backwaters. The point itself has some backwater access.

Did you ever fish for shark at the point in EI? I plan to try Fort Macon inlet for shark this trip. Bad thing about Macon is the limited hours that it is open. The two I caught last year were from the beach in front of the condo. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/26 16:50:06 (permalink)
    I never really shark fish, besides some nights just casting a chunk and whatever takes it while draining beers. Usually tell when it is a shark by breaking me off within a minute. Mostly cast spoons for Spanish mackerel and blues. Occasionally fish for pompano and mullet, but I enjoy slinging metals and walking the beach. It gives more cover for working your way closer to the chicks in thongs too…. Not that I would do such a thing.

EI Point gets extremely shallow in the surf at low tide. Like a 2’ deep wading pool for about 50 yards out. Check your tide chart. I’d avoid shark night fishing there if low tide. In the inlet it is deep regardless, but in the ocean itself, that section is worthless at low. At high, there is a ton of baitfish and usually blues and Spanish, so imagine sharks too. If you can, take a look over there at daytime low tide to get an idea.

Great place if you have young kids to splash around in.

Back side of that area has some inlets that are filled with mullet. So take a cast net if you have. Inside the inlet will often have green backs too. Those aren’t very hearty though, but the blues love them, especially if you cut them. Imagine what I am targeting it your bait. Both dusk and dawn has a nice window of Spanish and blues hitting 3/4oz to 1.5oz metal spoons. The same times are good at the BI Pier too. They get some midday too.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf casting cannons 2024/03/26 19:27:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info!! I think I am gonna try the inlet at Macon. Deep water in there and I would imagine the sharks would be cruising the edges all day. 

Jump to: