Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2023/08/21 07:24:24 (permalink)

Surf sharks. Finally!

I have picked the brains of a few here over the years about shark fishing from the beach. This past week it finally came together for me as I not only beached my first nice shark, but I caught another the next day. Emerald Isle North Carolina just casting baits into the deeper sloughs on the changing tides. Both were caught right where folks were swimming all week. The looks on the faces of the onlookers was as enjoyable as reeling them in. 

Although my terminal tackle held up well, I need to upgrade to a beefier rod and reel. Pulling them out of the wash against the waves was a challenge for sure. 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

My rifle is a black rifle

32 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/21 08:02:04 (permalink)
    Good job...what size leaders and circle hooks were you using?  To get them out of the wash...hopefully you are using 5'+ long 400 to 800 # lest mono leaders with crimps and if so....leather gloves and a wrap around your hand and you can pull them in easily that way.  DO NOT try this without gloves though or if the shark takes one last run, those steel crimps will do a number on your bare skin!  Ask me how I know...lol.  
    Tail ropes not necessary on them until you get to the 8' range.  

What bait worked best for you?  In FL, all our landed sharks and best bite came on large chunks of fresh dead ladyfish.  Did have some hits on some ankle biter pups that we didn't land on fresh dead whiting.  We had a big bluefish head bait come back empty on a LONG rod, the one we swam out to to the first bar to cast out deep, but never saw the hit and it wasn't crabbed out.  

EI has a lot of sharks this time of year.  Last year (8/6 to 8/10 I think), we stayed too close to town and it was WAY too crowded on the beach for fishing.  We did it early and late anyways when there were less people and caught a few and had several good hits.  We were only there for 4 days though.  Wished we would have stayed further up @ Indian Beach where it was less crowded but were limited by the short stay for my daughter's birthday trip.  And you are right, the area right around us CLEARED out after we landed a couple 4 1/2' sandbar sharks.  People asking, those are out there with bugged out eyes??  Once you go past knee deep on ANY beach in the world, there are sharks 4' to 10'+ swimming around you....ALL the time.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/21 08:04:30 (permalink)
    I love the point area of EI. One of my favorite places.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/21 08:37:13 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Good job...what size leaders and circle hooks were you using?  To get them out of the wash...hopefully you are using 5'+ long 400 to 800 # lest mono leaders with crimps and if so....leather gloves and a wrap around your hand and you can pull them in easily that way.  DO NOT try this without gloves though or if the shark takes one last run, those steel crimps will do a number on your bare skin!  Ask me how I know...lol.

I was using 7/0 Gamakatsu circles on a two foot piece of #86 American Fishing Wire steel leader attached to the hook and a #100 barrel swivel with haywire twists. From there a four foot #80 mono leader then to #50 braid.  4 oz sinker rigged on the braid to slip. 

I guess my mono leader was too light? Is there a better way to rig the slip sinker so that it can ride closer to the bait when casting but still slip over all of the gear easily when a fish takes it? How do you attach the heavy mono leader to your main line? FG knot? I found that my sinker was riding 5-6 feet away from the bait which made casting very tough as the sinker and the bait wanted to go different ways.

I did notice both sharks had rubbed a spot down just in front of their tails from the leader so the importance of that leader to hold up to the abrasion is vital. 

What bait worked best for you?  

Shark one was caught on a half of a big pinfish and shark two was caught on a hunk of pigfish. We did a sound charter and saved some of the catch for bait. I did catch three big stingrays on fresh croaker I caught with sand fleas. Both sharks were caught when the surf was rough and dirty. 

post edited by dpms - 2023/08/21 12:03:44

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/21 08:39:46 (permalink)
    Porktown

We fished down at Fort Macon one morning and that place looked very sharky but we were casting lead for spanish. The point looks like it would be great but access seems to be an issue? I found one small public lots a few blocks from the point and one access walkway to the point. It looks like quite the trek to carry all of the gear. Is there a different way to access it? 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/21 21:06:37 (permalink)
    dpms
    eyesandgillz

I was using 7/0 Gamakatsu circles on a two foot piece of #86 American Fishing Wire steel leader attached to the hook and a #100 barrel swivel with haywire twists. From there a four foot #80 mono leader then to #50 braid.  4 oz sinker rigged on the braid to slip. 

I guess my mono leader was too light? Is there a better way to rig the slip sinker so that it can ride closer to the bait when casting but still slip over all of the gear easily when a fish takes it? How do you attach the heavy mono leader to your main line? FG knot? I found that my sinker was riding 5-6 feet away from the bait which made casting very tough as the sinker and the bait wanted to go different ways.

I did notice both sharks had rubbed a spot down just in front of their tails from the leader so the importance of that leader to hold up to the abrasion is vital. 

What bait worked best for you?  

Shark one was caught on a half of a big pinfish and shark two was caught on a hunk of pigfish. We did a sound charter and saved some of the catch for bait. I did catch three big stingrays on fresh croaker I caught with sand fleas. Both sharks were caught when the surf was rough and dirty. 

Wow, small hooks...but I guess they worked!  I use 12/0 to 20/0 non offset circles.  Yeah, the leader takes a beating from the sharks rough skin so you need it big and long(there 's an easy joke there!).  Used to use 15' to 20' 800# leaders for the kayak'd big baits.  No casting those!  So, you want the leader at min. A couple feet longer than the sharks you are targeting.  

Those stingrays should have been used for bait...at least one of them.  Great bull shark bait.  
    I use a 10' and 12' rod and 6-7' leaders for cast leaders.  Typical fishfinder rig with hook, crimp about 2' up from hook, snap swivel for weight above this, another crimp 3' or so above this for weight stop and another foot or so to a heavy duty swivel.  I use 4 to 8 oz copper legged spider weights, depending on current/waves.  I have about 2' from bait to weight but to cast, I hook the barb of the circle hook on one leg of the spider weight to shorten the leader a little more for the cast.  90% of the time, the hook/bait releases from the weight mid flight and I set the weight.  Usually out chest deep, getting smacked by waves making the cast and it can get interesting.  If I know I am casting out to a depth over my head, I'm happy.   Can't sling that setup very far.

Son already saying we need a kayak for next year so we can catch bigger ones!   Oh, and I don't use steel leaders either.  I take my chances with the heavy mono only.  Always had much better action/hook ups in TX with straight mono.   But, I make a bite leader with it hence, using the larger hooks.  I use 2 crimps for the bite portion....loop the mono through the hook twice, then twist it tight around itself for 10" to 12" and double crimp at the top.  Harder for them to bite through the mono when its this heavy and twisted if they get the angle on you and get the leader in their mouth.
    post edited by eyesandgillz - 2023/08/22 09:56:17
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/22 07:30:33 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
     Those stingrays should have been used for bait...at least one of them.  Great bull shark bait. 

Hunk of the wings I assume? 

I use a 10' and 12' rod and 6-7' leaders for cast leaders.  Typical fishfinder rig with hook, crimp about 2' up from hook, snap swivel for weight above this, another crimp 3' or so above this for weight stop and another foot or so to a heavy duty swivel.

If I read the above right, your sinker cannot slide freely up onto your main line since you run a stop. Everything I read said your sinker should be able to slide without resistance during the initial take. I guess running a sinker stop works for you and maybe that would solve my problems of casting with the sinker going one way and the big bait the other.

I am going to upgrade to bigger hooks for sure and a longer rod and better reel. 

post edited by dpms - 2023/08/22 12:01:34

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/22 10:06:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, I don't let the sinker run up to the main line....I out a stop on the leader so it stops short of the swivel...If the bait/hook is smaller, the shark is going to eat it.  If the bait is bigger and he wants it, he'll come back for it.  You can only do so much with castable leaders.  For kayak'd baits, you can have a much bigger section of leader that can "slide" between stops since you can make the leaders much longer.  

For the ray, yeah, a wing, or center section or, we used to rig up 2 to 3 pounders with 2 circle hooks and them threaded/zipped tied in a good orientation.  

Some guys going for the big boys from the beach (10-14' makos, tigers and hammerheads) use 10-15# tunas, jacks, cow nose rays....whatever big stuff they can get a hold of....those guys have full stand up harnesses, broomstick rods, 1500 yds of 80-100# test braid....and are prepared to do battle for a couple hours if needed...their reels cost more than some people's cars!

I'll try and take a pic of one of my cast leaders if I get the chance.  I put a float on some of mine too, about a foot up from the hook, to try and keep the bait off the bottom to make it last longer with crabs out there.  I use a rattlin' cork and it doesn't seem to bother the sharks at all.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/22 12:04:10 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    I'll try and take a pic of one of my cast leaders if I get the chance.  I put a float on some of mine too, about a foot up from the hook, to try and keep the bait off the bottom to make it last longer with crabs out there.  I use a rattlin' cork and it doesn't seem to bother the sharks at all.

That would be cool. I was wondering about even running the whole set up on a floating ballon or something. I was watching a kid out there floating on a raft and he hardly moved at all in or out. If there is little current, maybe floating the whole thing would work and that would keep the crabs off of it. 
    post edited by dpms - 2023/08/23 07:15:33

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/22 14:13:11 (permalink)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_rXXdO4i0g

https://www.caller.com/story/news/2022/05/19/texas-man-catches-12-5-foot-shark-padre-island-national-seashore-corpus-christi-fishing/9845491002/
    You don't want to be in the ocean at night, at high tide.  Some giants like the one in the article above are that close to the beach...
    post edited by eyesandgillz - 2023/08/22 14:15:10
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/23 09:17:50 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_rXXdO4i0g

Heck of a fight there on that stand up tackle. Pretty ideal situation with low surf making yaking out baits the way to go and probably much more productive than fishing in close with casted baits. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/23 11:03:18 (permalink)
    dpms
    Porktown

We fished down at Fort Macon one morning and that place looked very sharky but we were casting lead for spanish. The point looks like it would be great but access seems to be an issue? I found one small public lots a few blocks from the point and one access walkway to the point. It looks like quite the trek to carry all of the gear. Is there a different way to access it? 

It is just that one lot about a mile trek...  Our first year going to EI, we stayed about 200 yards south of the pier.  Parked at that lot and made the hike.  It was horrible, I had a pretty bad case of heat exhaustion from it.  The next time, I looked for a place near the point. Ended up being a 5 minute walk from our place.  The fishing for spanish and blues was just as good from the beach directly in front of the house.  I only made the walk to the inlet a few times since they were just fine biting without it...  The next time we did the same thing, different place though.  Fishing was a little bit harder right in front, but I was prepared.  I took my bike and looked like Pee Wee Herman with a back rack, milk crate, rod holders, etc.  I biked to the point gate and bike rack there.  Still a bit of a trek from there, especially with cast net, bucket and other gear.  Definitely want to get that morning dump out before venturing, not that I know the pain of rushing back from experience multiple times...  Did okay on the backside and inlet, but stupid flounder rules had me throw back a doormat and a few other keepers.  Only one spanish that whole trip too, which made some excellent ceviche.  One of the only areas down there that you can do surf fishing, inlet fishing and sound fishing all within walking distance.  The back side access in EI is extremely limited.

Not sure how the shark fishing would be there, assume pretty good.  I don't mess around with them.  During low tide, there is a huge sand bar at the inlet point that extends out 100 yards.  I am sure this changes every storm though.  But last two times down, this created a huge "swimming pool" just to the north of the inlet.  It is only waste deep for most of it, usually crystal clear, almost Florida Gulf like conditions when things are calm down there.  Great place for little kids during the day or float around on a tube, etc.  Not the best for fishing in that stretch during low tide though.  During high tide or high enough on incoming or outgoing, the spanish and blues will trap baitfish up to those sand bars and have blitzes.  I tended to see the best action with spanish/blues early morning/late evening if there was an outgoing tide.  Pretty sure this was sucking the glass minnows out of the inlet into that section.  When it is too low and sand bar is above the water, the inlet was productive or can fish the end of the sand bar way out there.  Walking out on that sandbar at dusk or dawn was a bit sketchy though, especially if incoming tide.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/23 11:55:08 (permalink)
    Porktown

It is just that one lot about a mile trek...  Our first year going to EI, we stayed about 200 yards south of the pier.  Parked at that lot and made the hike.  It was horrible, I had a pretty bad case of heat exhaustion from it.  The next time, I looked for a place near the point. Ended up being a 5 minute walk from our place.  The fishing for spanish and blues was just as good from the beach directly in front of the house.  I only made the walk to the inlet a few times since they were just fine biting without it...  The next time we did the same thing, different place though.  Fishing was a little bit harder right in front, but I was prepared.  I took my bike and looked like Pee Wee Herman with a back rack, milk crate, rod holders, etc.  I biked to the point gate and bike rack there.  Still a bit of a trek from there, especially with cast net, bucket and other gear.  Definitely want to get that morning dump out before venturing, not that I know the pain of rushing back from experience multiple times...  Did okay on the backside and inlet, but stupid flounder rules had me throw back a doormat and a few other keepers.  Only one spanish that whole trip too, which made some excellent ceviche.  One of the only areas down there that you can do surf fishing, inlet fishing and sound fishing all within walking distance.  The back side access in EI is extremely limited.

Sounds like Fort Macon is a much better option for inlet fishing. Easy parking and access to the sound, inlet and surf is all there. Only thing that sucks about Fort Macon is it is gated and opens after prime fishing and closes before prime fishing. When we were there, the gate didn't open till 8am and closed at 8pm. We went down at 8 and say lots of birds working but it shut off soon thereafter. I bet at sunrise, the spanish were right on the beach. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/23 13:43:37 (permalink)
    Those hours stink for summer fishing, probably just fine in spring and fall though.  I'm sure mostly set up for swimming and other beach stuff.  Still a small window of opportunity, but need to be there when the gates open and not sure if they shut them on you at night when you are getting into a school.  I had that happen to me at Point Lookout in Maryland (where Potomac and Chesapeake meet).  The park ranger had to open the gate and escort me out, while I was having fun with a school of stripers.  Said it would be a fine if I did it again...  NJ Island Beach State Park has those similar hours, but is 24 hours if you are fishing.

I am sure you would figure out more access points if you lived in the area or spend more time scouting.  I do like Hatteras Island better for the amount of easy access points, being that all of the beach and most of the sound side is national seashore. 

We went to Okaloosa Island, FL last year (Fort Walton Beach/Destin area).  The amount of different fish in that area is pretty awesome.  I really want to check out the Pensacola/Navarre area, since that is mostly national seashore too.  The drive down there is pure torture though.  EI is painful enough for me.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/23 17:12:00 (permalink)
    BTW, the water was crazy warm down there. 85-87 degrees. 

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/24 08:12:00 (permalink)
    Water was 81 in Carolina Beach and Kure Beach the week I was down 8/12-8/19. Had a lot of heavy S/SW Winds that made the water pretty stirred up for fishing. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/08/24 08:50:33 (permalink)
    Bummer when there is a storm or high wind come through during vacation time.  
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/07 07:52:07 (permalink)
    Hey eye,

What is your rod and reel setup? I plan on upgrading to a bit heavier. Looking at a Daiwa BG8000 reel and the Tica Surge 11 to 12 foot spinning surf rod rated at 3-8 ounces. 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/07 12:25:15 (permalink)
    https://www.tackledirect.com/tsunami-trophy-ii-surf-rods.html  My bigger spinning rod is a 2003 circa version of this, Tsunami 10'-0" Med-Hv, with a cork handle.  Think I got it during a big sale at Academy Sports back then for $49.99.  
    I broke my Okuma Eclipz EZ-90 spinning reel last year and replaced it with a cheapy this year:
    https://drfishtackle.com/products/saltwater-spinning-reel-13-1bb-48lb-max-drag-rsyg?variant=39954475221034

My bigger set-up is a 12'-0" Oceanmaster Med-Hvy surfcaster with a Penn 4/0 HLW.  That is circa 2003 as well.  

But interestingly enough, all the sharks this year came on a cheap, 8'-0", old surf rod with an Okuma Avenger Abf-8000 reel that I bought in 2022.  I bought it originally as my Eclipz replacement but didn't pay close enough attention and the line capacity was WAY too small for any kind of long drops from the beach.   Still serviceable for a short cast in the first gut but I was down to the last few wraps of mono backing on this, on the big shark I ended up losing this year.  Still fit plenty of 50# braid on it for that short cast but if something decent picks up the bait, may get spooled with only 26lbs of drag available and limited line capacity.  

Need to get one more bigger spinner set-up for next year...and need a kayak!
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/08 07:34:44 (permalink)
    I was looking at those Tsunamis online. They seem to have a lot of great reviews and are reasonably priced. Thanks for the info. 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/08 08:16:38 (permalink)
    Can't vouch for the current Tsunami rods but my older one was a great purchase.  Caught dozens of sharks and well over a hundred bull reds with it.  I do need to repair the tip though as I have it held on by A bread tie wrap right now ( lol, been like that for 5 years).   Always forget to getting around to repairing it properly when I only use the rod once or twice a year for beach trips these days....it has a great backbone but a fast tip and I can sling smaller presentations pretty far.  
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/13 10:50:08 (permalink)
    I am seriously considering making a trip to my brothers place in Port St Lucie Florida for the blacktip migration in February. He isn't too far from some beaches and apparently the sharks are numerous and close to shore.  Been watching some of those videos and it looks pretty fun for sure. Plus they are good ones to serve up on a platter. 

snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/13 14:26:03 (permalink)
    If FL permits keeping black tips and you get any of keeper size, that was some of the finest tasting fish I've ever had.  

Cube it, put it in a pot of shrimp boil for a few minutes, and dip in melted butter.  Served it at a family gathering where there weren't too many fish eaters, and they devoured it.  
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 908
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/17 20:41:32 (permalink)
    Came back from near VA Beach this past week. 

Early in the week was alright, nothing crazy, mostly putting family members on their first surf fish. Some reds, Sheep, and something that had small yellow vertical stripes on it. Probably some kind of snapper. We did get into something big, but it bent the hook on the Bluefish rig. I think it was a Bull red, saw a flash, looked like it. 

Last few days of the week had some "gnar chop" as the dudes at the local bar called it. Waves coming in from the north that were brutal. TV called for 6-10 ft, then 10-15. On Friday night you could hear them breaking on the shore and they sounded terrifying. I swear you could feel it in your chest from a few hundred yards away. The wind was so hard it made the sand like needles crushing you if you walked on the beach. 

Also, the bugs were INSANE all week. I had small red bumps on my legs and feet by the dozens. I read online, and talked to some locals who said sand fleas. I guess they are also called Chiggers or Jiggers? I'm not expert but man, they seriously ruined nearly every evening. There were mosquitos too sure, nothing crazy, your usual stuff, but these sand fleas were inhumane. I'm not sure how a person could live in these beach communities full time and keep their sanity. 
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 07:59:07 (permalink)
    DeadGator401
     Some reds, Sheep, and something that had small yellow vertical stripes on it. Probably some kind of snapper. 

Sounds like Pinfish. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 08:39:40 (permalink)
    DeadGator401
    Also, the bugs were INSANE all week. I had small red bumps on my legs and feet by the dozens. I read online, and talked to some locals who said sand fleas. I guess they are also called Chiggers or Jiggers? I'm not expert but man, they seriously ruined nearly every evening. There were mosquitos too sure, nothing crazy, your usual stuff, but these sand fleas were inhumane. I'm not sure how a person could live in these beach communities full time and keep their sanity. 

That stinks.  Sounds like "no-sees" or "no-see-ums", since you rarely see them, just smack at your skin after they attack and usually relentless.  Not sure if that is a Florida or NC thing?  Imagine they are all over.  I've always referred to the mole crabs in the sand as sand fleas.  Great bait, won't bite you.  Although I think there are some things in the sand that will or pinch.

Sounds like at least a good half week of fishing then mother nature taking over.  Seems to be rather standard for beach vacations for me.  Wind will pick up, rain, seaweed or something self inflicted like sunburn, cut/injury, heat exhaustion, hangover... or whatever.  Then of course, opting to fish in front of the rental then read reports the pier or sound was on fire which I had planned for the next day and nothing...  Not often do I get a full week of excellent fishing, when I do I don't think that it was ever every day.  It seems like the last day or two, I finally have some things figured out.  Then go somewhere else the next 3-4 years and return thinking that I remembered what I figured out and nothing...  Got to pretty much live in the area and know the migrations and patterns.  Many of the locals that I talk to that crush it, only fish certain tides, certain water conditions for certain fish, times of year, etc.  Often have a network of friends that share reports.  We fish while we are there for whatever hours we can get out and basically get lucky if the conditions just happen to be good.  
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 09:16:41 (permalink)
    This time of year on outer banks should be good, if weather allows.  Reds, stripers, trout, flounder, blues, whiting....all from the surf, first gut, if the weather allows.   Those no see ems were bad in July in Fl.  25% deet kept them off but it made the night time fishing slightly annoying.   Wind was up enough during the day that they didn't bother you but it was always calmer at night when we were shark fishing and those bastages were relentless.   
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 10:47:14 (permalink)
    It would be so nice having OBX an hour or less away. From about now until early December the fishing reports look insane. Then again in spring. Unfortunately it is too hard to make that 10+ hour drive for anything less than a week. NJ/DE/MD follow similar patterns, more stripers and bluefish and much less reds and speckled trout. But can make it to there in 6-7 hours. Still far too long of a drive even for a long weekend. I guess fortunately these same time frames are when local fishing is usually pretty good, so makes those reports a little less “I need to be there”.

I’d personally want to be a few hours south of OBX. They seem to have much more of a winter bite. I hear the winds on the OBX during the winter are brutal and not much besides puffers and dogfish if you can handle getting sand blasted and needing 10 oz to stick on calmer days…. Some of the pier reports in southern NC and SC seem to be okay during the winter. Nothing like Florida though.
    post edited by Porktown - 2023/09/18 11:37:24
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 908
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 17:20:01 (permalink)
    dpms
    DeadGator401
     Some reds, Sheep, and something that had small yellow vertical stripes on it. Probably some kind of snapper. 

Sounds like Pinfish. 

Yep, this was it!

eyesandgillz
    This time of year on outer banks should be good, if weather allows.  Reds, stripers, trout, flounder, blues, whiting....all from the surf, first gut, if the weather allows.   Those no see ems were bad in July in Fl.  25% deet kept them off but it made the night time fishing slightly annoying.   Wind was up enough during the day that they didn't bother you but it was always calmer at night when we were shark fishing and those bastages were relentless.   

I was running 98% deet on my ankles after the bites, but I think the damage was done.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Surf sharks. Finally! 2023/09/18 18:14:43 (permalink)
    Did you guys see that mako shark that was stranded on a beach in Pensacola? 12’ estimated. I thought those makos were out in the deeper water? I know some of the charter boats get them when tuna fishing.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: