Helpful ReplyHot!2023 NFL Season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/19 12:44:10 (permalink)
NFL and football related. Sending invites to your cousins for relations is off limits.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/19 15:00:32 (permalink)
🤣
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/22 10:32:40 (permalink)
Next two games are make or break for Pickett IMO. Faced two of the best defenses the past two weeks. Now faces two at the bottom. He needs to at least look competent the next two weeks. If he looks remotely close to the past two weeks, Baltimore will eat him up in three weeks. Bye week after that. Typically when Stillers brass makes moves. If he looks okay next two games and struggles against Ravens, I think a coin flip they go to Mitch. Who was just as inconsistent last year as Kenny is this year. So not really going to someone with a proven track record. They won’t give Mason anything beyond carrying a clipboard, even if he is looking the best in practices…

Dan Moore is possibly shorter leash, maybe this game is it. I read an article in the off-season that they typically like to give until third season to make full time starter at tackle which would be for Moore now. So has been forced to the fire early. He hasn’t had the easiest assignments with two of the top 5 edge rushers. Chuks isn’t lighting it up when they lined up against him either.

Interior line needs to really shine next two weeks as well. Seumalo and Daniels are supposed to be pro bowl caliber guards. They have not played that way at all, especially in the run blocking. I doubt they will take either of them out. Mason Cole would likely be the first to go, but not sure if Herbig is an upgrade.

Hard to really judge RBs, WRs and TEs. Not many holes for the RBs. If that keeps up, got to go with Warren’s downhill style. Harris is more patient type runner. He would be all pro on the Browns or other o line that can make lanes. WRs and TEs aren’t getting enough catchable passes to really judge. Only internally do they know if running the correct routes and blocking assignments.

Next two weeks should say a lot. I think they will look good and 3-1 going into Ravens game would not be bad after seeing what they looked like past two weeks. But could very well be 1-3 and calling for Mitch…
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/22 21:57:14 (permalink)
Can't hardly keep up with them, Pork. They've been signin' players, bringin' up players from the practice squad, just for a couple of injuries. They immediately wanted a wide receiver to replace Johnson, yet they like Pickens in the middle and on the flats but don't want to run him deep. Can't figure that. They need to really step up, run the **** ball, and learn to pass protect so Pickett ain't runnin' for his life every passing down. He hasn't figured out how to throw the ball away when he's in trouble, and he hasn't shown the Raven's Jackson's ability to take off runnin' when the pocket collapses. OTOH, the overall offensive game calling hasn't been NFL caliber. Time will tell.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/22 22:45:14 (permalink)
Look at that. An entire analysis without mention of Canada. 

Kenny is scared. We've seen it and it's clear as day. He needs to have his teammates rally and give help. Right now, it's only Warren and Pickens (and apparently The punter) 

I think the Steelers run the table next 2 weeks, and puts the Band-Aid over the massive problem that is their O coordinator. Here's a great analysis on the situation and answers the question of "Is it Pickett, or Canada?" - https://twitter.com/Sharp...us/1704877199377965107

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/22 22:48:16 (permalink)
EMitch
Can't hardly keep up with them, Pork. They've been signin' players, bringin' up players from the practice squad, just for a couple of injuries. They immediately wanted a wide receiver to replace Johnson, yet they like Pickens in the middle and on the flats but don't want to run him deep. Can't figure that. They need to really step up, run the **** ball, and learn to pass protect so Pickett ain't runnin' for his life every passing down. He hasn't figured out how to throw the ball away when he's in trouble, and he hasn't shown the Raven's Jackson's ability to take off runnin' when the pocket collapses. OTOH, the overall offensive game calling hasn't been NFL caliber. Time will tell.

This is a great point Mitch. I'm not sure why it seems that Pickett is not allowed to run. It's a massive strength of his. I'm not sure why they seemingly have a leash on it. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/23 09:16:21 (permalink)
Canada is definitely A problem, but it isn’t just him. It really starts with the O line, IMO. Sort of what Mitch said. They had two of the hardest tests to start the season and showed they obviously are not equal to the top defenses. With a good O line that can make running lanes and time for Kenny, Canada’s scheme will work. It won’t ever be some cutting edge Andy Reid or other, but it has shown to work enough to be 9-8… He definitely calls some really dumb and predictable plays. As noted about not using Pickens deep, not getting Freiermuth, Robinson, Heyward or Washington involved is just nuts. I do think they bounce back the next two weeks. The o line needs to gel and takes time, just like it did last year. Adding new players means all needing to figure each others tendencies out to make adjustments. Having two rather weak defenses should allow them to do this. I think we are looking at another 9-8 type average team. Likely not go beyond that with Canada.

I would be 100% behind canning
Canada, if they have a good candidate to replace him. Doing in the season means learning a whole new playbook, which is asking a lot for players that are struggling as is. I’m not sure if firing him and promoting within does all too much. It might address some of the things noted in the bonehead play calling, but still has the same bad play selections. I would much rather see a complete overhaul after the season. If they went with making an in-house change during the season, I wouldn’t be opposed.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/23 09:34:04 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Here's a great analysis on the situation and answers the question of "Is it Pickett, or Canada?" - https://twitter.com/Sharp...us/1704877199377965107

Everything he is saying definitely has to do with who they played. They were forced to pass early against SF and really skewed their statistics.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/24 10:09:03 (permalink)
The 3 other quarterbacks in the AFC North all run on busted pass plays. Watson, Burrows & Jackson don't seem to hesitate. Other teams, (like Buffalo's Josh Allen) take off, sometimes through some very small lanes when the linebackers are back, and many of them can get a first down. There's been a time or two where QBs were the leading rusher after a tough game, although that certainly isn't an ideal situation. I don't know if Pickett needs a command in his ear to go, but last year he showed that he can get it done if he's free to do so. Maybe 3 times in concussion protocol last year has made him apprehensive. OTOH, without pass protection, edge rushers can put a severe hurtin' on him.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/24 13:50:44 (permalink)
That was one of Kenny’s strengths in college. Very much capable. He also had time then to go deep, which he was very good at and a great WR that helped his completion percentage. The past two games he only had enough time to see 2-3 of his pass options until he was running for his life. The “pass first then go” works best when you go through all/most reads or see an obvious clean running lane when early in the progression. I imagine they want him to do the first, but could see if they instruct him not to do the second. He should have a bit more time today and next week. Line should be gelled a bit more. They should do well today if they don’t get burnt by Maxx Crosby too often. I don’t think the rest of their defense is nearly as strong as Browns and definitely not as 69ers.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/25 01:45:13 (permalink)
Heh, kenny had some nice runs tonight. 2 back to back. 

The penalties were wild tonight. I've never even heard of a "Leverage" call. 

Solid win for the Steelers though. Canada even had a few good calls, assuming he still has duties. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/25 07:56:14 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Heh, kenny had some nice runs tonight. 2 back to back. 

The penalties were wild tonight. I've never even heard of a "Leverage" call. 

Solid win for the Steelers though. Canada even had a few good calls, assuming he still has duties. 

Refs seemed intent to put the Raiders back in the game. They could call that on every field goal or extra point. That roughing the passer call was complete garbage too.

I’d like to know what the correct route was on the almost interception that Connor Heyward was running up the field and Picket threw it 5 yards behind him almost directly to Peters. Either ran the wrong route or Pickett thought the route was different. Kenny looked like an average NFL QB. Which is better than the past two games. O line giving him time makes a huge difference. Ability to run the ball and play action was huge. Crazy that Raiders are struggling to run the ball. NFL rushing leader last year possibly the best WR to open things up.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/09/25 08:42:47 (permalink)
Did the NFL do away with the blow to the head PF against the QB's this year?  Kenny had two, and one was probably a facemask too, that weren't call but then that weak **** one was called against Fitzpatrick.  Now, I have no problems with the no calls on Pickett if they don't call that one late on Fitzpatrick but, in years past, if the D so much as pointed their finger at the QB's helmet/head it was an auto 15 yds...
Our running game needs some help....and that will open up the passing game some more.  Pickett left some throws/catches out there when he still looked like he was scared.  The receivers were there and they were open he just missed them.  But, I am not in his shoes with 300# lineman or a crazed LB bearing down on me either...
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/01 17:32:06 (permalink)
Fine line between panic and season is over. Got to let the dust settle a bit to determine what it is for the Stillers. Texans should not look like the 49ers…. Kenny out, Mitch seems to be a carbon copy. Looks great at times then absolutely horrible. I have to imagine if they repeat this next week with Ravens, Canada has to be removed during the bye. See what this offense looks like next year with a completely new system.

Dust settled with Pitt. Season over.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/01 19:08:42 (permalink)
Have to agree with that, T on the Steelers. As for Pitt.... 38 points to a TERRIBLE VT team should show that Narduzzi and his team are just pretenders. I give it a month and they will have to start tarpping seats off again.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/01 21:15:00 (permalink)
No offensive line help and Kenny runnin' for his life. Again. But the play calling? If Najee gets stuffed 3 times in a row on the left side, why would they run the same play 3 more times? Isn't that the definition of being nuts? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. They did better in the second half, makes me wonder if maybe Tomlin started callin' the plays. At least I think he should have. Maybe he's just givin' Canada enough rope to hang himself and givin' the Steelers and excuse to replace him before midseason. But they gotta start winnin! Baltimore next week, I think.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/02 08:08:43 (permalink)
Lol...was stuck watching the game for the first half since it was on at my son's HS Golf team end of year banquet.  At halftime, after the speeches, awards and cake, we boogied on out of there and made a tee time to get 9 holes in....good choice, again.  
After golf, met the wife and daughter at the local farm where we have been going for 13 years to get pumpkins and mums...
Anyways, after yesterday's performance, more reason to just make a nice tee time and not even worry about watching anymore games.....
Defense blew chunks too...not just the O.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/02 10:00:29 (permalink)
EMitch
No offensive line help and Kenny runnin' for his life. Again. But the play calling? If Najee gets stuffed 3 times in a row on the left side, why would they run the same play 3 more times? Isn't that the definition of being nuts? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. They did better in the second half, makes me wonder if maybe Tomlin started callin' the plays. At least I think he should have. Maybe he's just givin' Canada enough rope to hang himself and givin' the Steelers and excuse to replace him before midseason. But they gotta start winnin! Baltimore next week, I think.

They made some sort of adjustment at half time.  If the adjustment was just challenging the O line and no actual scheme adjustment, it worked for a quarter.  I think getting Jones more reps at OT was a bit to do with it.  Not really sure why it took so long to put him in more, but I am not at practices.  Up until Canada decided to put Kenny in shotgun on 4th and 1 after they seemed to figure out how to rip run after run...  WTF???  I can see putting him in shotgun and running or at least play action.  Possibly one of the worst play calls of Canada's collection of horrible play calls.  Except for maybe the Kenny designed run in a similar situation.  

One quarter of quality play doesn't cut it though.  Both offense and defense.  The O line was abysmal for 3 quarters.  But showed promise of gelling.  Jones' draft profile was excellent, powerful guy that needs reps to solidify in pass protection, mauler as a run blocker.  Can't say it was just him in opening up the run game, but it was there in the 3rd quarter until Canada/Tomlin decided to stop using it.

Defense couldn't figure out how to stop the quick short passes.  3 years ago, Ben was lighting up defenses with the same thing, then was figured out.  EVERY defense played the same scheme to stop it once one figured it out.  As a defensive guru that was shown the scheme against your own team, how do you not at least try it?

I'm not completely giving up on the season, but if they refuse to make MAJOR adjustments next week and same results.  Lets just say that I will be fishing a lot more.

Thank you Nardookie for freeing up my Saturdays for fishing.  Maybe I will be able to score some free tickets to take my kid to a game, other than that I am am not even wasting another Saturday on that dumpster fire.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1256
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/02 11:58:04 (permalink)
Browns crying,Bengals really crying and well then there's the stealers.We do win in that we have the worst coaches in  and its time for a clean swap out!! Oh I forgot Pitt there another coaching disaster
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/02 13:10:43 (permalink)
ICE NUT
Browns crying,Bengals really crying and well then there's the stealers.We do win in that we have the worst coaches in  and its time for a clean swap out!! Oh I forgot Pitt there another coaching disaster

Sad part is, Pirates ownership has won the worst of all professional sports!  I am sick of all of this winning...
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2523
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/03 18:55:39 (permalink)
ICE NUT

Definitely need coaching changes for the Steelers. .From the top on Down! Pitt included.
Go Penn State!
post edited by bigfoot - 2023/10/04 11:53:26

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/08 16:14:31 (permalink)
We all saw that outcome…

Unfortunately, the defense, Pickens, Warren and special teams saved Canada’s job. Or, Baltimore’s WRs not being able to catch the ball more importantly. Pickett did enough to keep his job. He looked good when given time, O line needs to do better, but down two starters you really can’t give them too much grief. Jones will be starting OT from now on out. Herbig getting great playing time and if needed to stay in, will likely gel into a decent O line. Porter needs to be in the starting lineup. Imagine he will after bye.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/08 23:20:05 (permalink)
It's a weird feeling. 
I agree with you 100% - his job got saved by a single touchdown. Kinda wild, but also fitting. 

The defense deserves better. It's an absolute shame. 

Obviously, we don't know what's going to happen moving forward. But we can make educated guesses. Maybe 30 points one time in a game and somewhere between 8-9 and 9-8 most likely. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/09 08:34:50 (permalink)
DeadGator401
It's a weird feeling. 
I agree with you 100% - his job got saved by a single touchdown. Kinda wild, but also fitting. 

The defense deserves better. It's an absolute shame. 

Obviously, we don't know what's going to happen moving forward. But we can make educated guesses. Maybe 30 points one time in a game and somewhere between 8-9 and 9-8 most likely. 

From what I have heard, Pickett and Pickens went off script for that TD. Could be BS, but Canada looked mad when they cut to him.

Defense played like garbage for the first half though. If not for some drops on the Ravens end, Steelers lose that game and likely in the same fashion as the Texans/49ers. Second half the defense played inspired. Which they need to. There is much more money being spent on the defense than offense. When they had one of the top O lines in the NFL with Ben, Brown and Bell behind it, the amount of money they were paying on offense compared to defense was lopsided and guess which side struggled more then. Hopefully this O line can build some continuity. Just like last week, they struggled in the first half. Did well in the 3rd quarter (Harris last week, Warren this week). They need to be able to do that for more than a quarter though. Again, they do have two starters out and Daniels might be their best O lineman. There were a lot of other key players on the offense out. Not having Johnson and Freiermuth is huge. Austin missed most of the game too, which Kenny seemed to be developing some chemistry with. Kenny relying pretty much solely on another second year player with Robinson being slowly gaining his trust. Anyone here really trust Boykin or Gunner when you are passing into tight coverage? Could explain some of the non catchable balls to them, but on the money to Pickens. Those on the money balls to those guys are still 50/50 interceptions.

To me, that is where Canada and Tomlin are failing. There is enough game tape and practice reps to see what this O line does well at and where they struggle. Get the struggle stuff out of the playbook. Same thing with Kenny and receivers. Make your game calling to fit the players you have. Give Kenny the freedom to change plays at the line if he sees something.

Agree with the 8-9 or 9-8. Just hope they are in most games and can build off of it.
Mitchell
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/22 19:21:16 (permalink)
So they win fugly again. I get beside myself with the play calling. I know I mentioned this earlier in the season, but one thing that happened again today was that 3rd & 17 play to get to field goal range. Even the yardage was the same. It appears Canada has learned nothing across this season, and the bye week didn't do him a bit of good. On 3rd & 17, even if you can pick up 5 yards to get to a shorter field goal, why do you have the QB throw the ball laterally and expect a receiver to make 17 yards for the first. Fortunately, Boswick made the 53 yarder for the points. Another play was 4th and a foot before the final 2 minute warning. Pickett had already run 2 sneaks and got first downs, but there couldn't have been a single person in the stands or watching that didn't know what was coming. They really didn't make it but got a really good spot and call. I thought they should have run a back or a wideout just to try to mix it up and maybe catch LA off guard, or, they could have even tried a long FG. They were on the 39, another 10 to the goal posts, and another 13 or so to the holder. Even if you miss short, LA was out of TOs. Give the kicker a shot and if he misses, then rely on the defense, which was playin' pretty well. Boswick has hit from 58 or 59 yds. With Cleveland and Baltimore winning, the standings don't change much.
post edited by Mitchell - 2023/10/22 19:28:53

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/22 21:20:29 (permalink)
This team is just going to be aggravating to watch for a bit. We were saying the same thing here after Kenny’s second sneak. “If there is a third, they better not even think to do the same play”. Regardless if it was Canada or Kenny making that call, it was horrible. Both Najee and Jalen were doing fine in the second half. The O line was playing well (in second half). Lucky as heck they got away with that very generous spot. Canada isn’t going anywhere and just too hard to make a switch like that mid season. A win is a win in the pros. Rams at LA, having to make the trip is something Steelers typically stumbled with, even when they were SB level teams years ago. Rams were 3-3 with their best WR first game back. They have one of the best defensive linemen of all time. They aren’t a bad team by any means. Steelers have most of their salary cap in the defense, they should be winning games for them. Steelers decided to focus on defense years ago when Ben’s career was wrapping up and stuck him with a patchwork O line after their very good O line aged. If they would have went the route of rebuilding there instead of mid round selections and rebuilding through FA, Ben likely would have looked a bit better his final few years, but also likely still trying to play right now... Their OL is getting better. When given holes, Najee and Jalen are good backs. When given time, Pickens and Johnson can get open. If those guys are getting chunk plays, defenses have to adjust and opens up guys like Heyward and Robinson. Kenny is good enough to win if he has time, especially with the chemistry he has with Pickens and getting Dionte back. Even Canada’s horrible play calling works if the line is able to give time. Look at second half of season last year and the second half of this game. Still Canada’s playbook and play calling. Don’t get me wrong, not going to be KC or Phil level offense. But what their offense looked like in the second half is enough to win, if their defense plays like they do. Getting Freiermuth back will help too.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/10/23 11:47:49 (permalink)
 The quarterback sneak is the highest % play to make a 4th and a few feet even when everyone in the stadium knows it is  coming. The Steelers would very really ever call it even with Big Ben. Brady would do it pretty much every time in those situations with a extremally high succuss  rate. Heck the Eagles can't be stopped on that play. They even did it on their own 25 yesterday with the lead. Only thing I would do different is put a couple big boys behind Kenny and plow him forward.
  Hope the league doesn't ban the quarterback sneak in the near future. One of if not the best plays in the game. 
Mitchell
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/20 19:02:59 (permalink)
They need 3 more wins to have a "winning" season. Lookin' a little doubtful right now.  A Pittsburgh poll is nearly 55% in favor of Mason Rudolph for this Sundays' starter against Cincy. And they called my most hated play at least 3 times. 3rd & 11, 3rd & 12, and 3rd & 18, let's have the quarterback turn to the right, (at which time the eyes of every defensive player goes with him), throw the ball out there and make 2 yards, (or possibly lose 10 yards), then punt. Kenny won't look off his primary, and he either doesn't or can't read the field, and has to either throw it away or take the sack. Do ya think they need a new OC? Wait, what? Ain't gonna happen this year. I should have put the boat in and fished the river. Would've been time better spent.

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 01:28:50 (permalink)
Was a rough one. Missed a lot of it but caught the last quarter. 

Somethings gonna give. One way or the other, either the wheels fall off or they claw back. Kenny just seems so scared and rattled. It's wild to think what he did in the preseason, and what he's done in 4th quarters and then see the dude last week. 

I'd expect him to start next week, and play well. Cleveland was a rough one, but bad games happen. Interested to see if he can bounce back. 
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 09:18:38 (permalink)
Hammer drops on Canada...Matt that is.  Steelers fans get their wish.  We'll see if it changes anything.  

#Steelers QB coach Mike Sullivan and RB coach Eddie Faulkner will work together to assume the role as offensive coordinator following the firing of Matt Canada, sources say. This will be Sullivan's third time in an OC role, having done so with the #Giants and #Buccaneers.
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) November 21, 2023
post edited by LDD - 2023/11/21 09:19:57
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to: