need some help

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2508
  • Reward points: 0
2020/07/15 09:02:55 (permalink)

need some help

This is first year that I tried to plant tomatoes in 5 gal.buckets. I put 40# of  top soil in each bucket after drilling 4 holes for draining in each bucket.I was watering each 3rd day & using some miracle grow once a week. That was my usual regiment when I was able to plant in the ground & it worked well.But this year they started out well,I even had a couple of ripe small one on the 4tth of July. However lately a couple of plants are looking wilted by the end of the day.I don't know if I watered them too much or not enough.My question is: should I be watering them more & how much water should I put in each time ? thanks  sam

18 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6039
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 09:34:55 (permalink)
    I've tried doing tomatoes in buckets just as you did but never had any success. While I don't use chemical fertilizer, they just always seemed to wither out and sparsely produce.
    I know TB has GREAT success with buckets, but his method is totally different

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2066
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 10:00:16 (permalink)
    The 2 tomatoes I have in pots are doing the same thing. I think the high soil temp may be the cause. They ones I have in the ground are doing great.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 10:48:28 (permalink)
    Btw, Sam. This is in the fish salmon River forum, in case you hadn't noticed.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 14:51:31 (permalink)
    fishnguy, I was trying to get on "the garden thread" sorry about that but I am not puter savy & normally only post on Penna. threads but since I saw some garden threads &picts. I thought that I would try here.  sam
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3669
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 15:20:08 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    Btw, Sam. This is in the fish salmon River forum, in case you hadn't noticed.

Ah there is wrong with a little off topic stuff especially this time of year. Should be called guys who fish the river but have other interests and like to talk about other stuff too forum.
    I too never have lots of luck in buckets and feel there is not enough room for the roots and it gets to warm. They source water and nutrients from larger areas in the ground through more spread out roots and mitochondria. The warmth evaporates the water faster Try putting them where it gets partial shade or even burying the bucket 3/4 in the ground, different soil and some fertilizer. Saucer of water on bottom where they can suck it up so it does not run out
    post edited by Clint S - 2020/07/15 15:26:08

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/15 16:14:46 (permalink)
    clint, Burying the bucket would defeat the purpose of the buckets. I did use white buckets to try to reflect some of the heat,but like you, I think that part of the problem is that the plants may be getting "root bound" & need more water.They are in partial shade,but this heat can't help.This is the first year that I had to give up most of the garden because of my back,but 1 good thing is that the buckets keep most of the critters out. lol   sam
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 15:44:12 (permalink)
    Maybe mound up some mulch around the bucket for more insulation? Water the mulch to add to the cooling effect?
    EMitch
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 687
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 19:51:36 (permalink)
    Sam, ya need plenty of water. A 'mater plant ain't nothin' but water. We have ours in 5 gallon buckets with potting soil and a stake down to the bottom of the bucket. We trim off every leaf on the stem up to the flowering tops. We have some tomatoes right now. Learned this from an old Italian fellow. He's in his 80s and plants a large garden. He stakes his plants early and cuts off every leaf and stem until the flowering tops are 5'-6' off the ground, and ties them tight enough to hold the weight of about 15 tomatoes up high. Nothing but a thick stem from ground to top. He waters morning and night. Spends a lot of time in his garden, but she's a beauty.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho for the rest of your life.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3398
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 20:37:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, I need to water the potted stuff at least twice a day in this heat...I used vigoro potting soil this year and my potted plants are doing much better than in the past.  Don't ever use wally worlds house brand potting soil....horrible.  Miracle gro and vigoro for me from here on out.
    I bury my plants up to the leaves when I plant them....but only snip off the leaves that are touching the ground.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 20:43:25 (permalink)
    Hot and wet -- root rot ???
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 22:47:44 (permalink)
    I don't think it's root rot because I drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the bucket for excess water to drain,I do think that root compression may be 1 prob., a bucket doesn't give them much room to spread out. The thing that bothers me is the success that others have with buckets. That points to me doing something wrong. So far it points to me not using enough water. They have rebounded some so there is still hope. thanks for the help.  sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11796
    Re: need some help 2020/07/16 23:12:27 (permalink)
    Did some research...... you be the judge.

4- Speaking of soil…whatever you do, DO NOT use dirt you just dig up from somewhere. This will not work well in a container, and no matter how much drainage you provide it will get compacted. What you’ll want to use instead isn’t actually soil at all, but “soil-less media”. It will give structural support for the roots, provide some nutrients, and provide a nice balance of water-holding capacity and aeration.

http://heathershomeandgar.../bucket-gardening-101/

Hope it helps....🍅
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/16 23:16:27

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 09:47:30 (permalink)
    John,You would be surprised at how many different opinions I received about the soil, top soil ,versus potting soil ,versus mixing the two. Also watering 1,2,or 3 times a day.Even how to stake them.I do appreciate all that took time to help.I think that I tried to change too much at once.I did think up another brilliant idea(in theory at least)since I used top soil & think that it may compress,I am going to add a few nightcrawlers to each bucket then cover the top with landscape cloth in a effort to keep the Robins away from the worms.They should help loosening the soil.At the  very least I may have a worm factory. I watched a video last night where a guy said that when watering,do not get any water on the leaves,I wonder what he does when it rains?He also said to occasionally dissolve an asprin in the water bucket to help the plants fight disease,yeah if I have any left over. lol    sam
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 09:49:17 (permalink)
    Sam,
    Do you do the finger test in the soil in the pots...and I'm not talking the proctologist test either!!!!

Before you water, plunge you index finger as far as you can into the pot's soil....if it is moist down to that level, then you can probably hold off on watering....but if I was a betting man, in this heat/sun/breeze, the soil is most likely bone dry, even after a "regular" watering.  Doesn't take long for the pots to dry out during the day unless you really soak the soil in them.
    Even when I do this in my pots in this current heat, if I water in the AM, they are dry by 3 or 4 pm.  When the temp hits the 90's and it is sunny/breezy, I water in the AM and PM, unless we get rain or it is forecasted.  PM, I'll do a light watering and in the AM, a do a good soaking....
    Since we got rain yesterday evening, I skipped the AM watering today.  

I'll hit the pots with miracle gro liquid from the watering can once a week.  I also put a tablespoon of epsom salts at the base of the plants every 2 or 3 weeks during the growing season.
    Irisheyeball
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 10:23:49 (permalink)
    At this point, cut off nitrogen fertilizer as effectively as you can. Try and find something where the “N” is a fraction of the “P” and “K.” This will help force fruiting and overall health rather than lush leaf growth. Nip the main growth stem(s) next month to channel energy to existing fruits that have a chance to ripen rather than new blooms that won’t ripen anyway.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 12:32:40 (permalink)
    I have had good luck with indeterminates producing into late September/sometimes October, if we don't get a frost.  I never did nip the leaves.  My san marzanos and brandywines keep on giving, as long as I can keep them alive and the blights don't get them...

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11796
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 12:41:04 (permalink)
    Sam I know what you're saying about all the fixes. Oxygen is vital though, for plants to process nutrients from the soil.

May be too late but next time give some thought to mixing vermiculite in with your top soil.

Never heard of aspirin being added but I do know "Tums" have been crushed and added to the soil around pepper plants suffering from blossom end rot. The calcium stopped the rotting but sure didn't help the heartburn from eating to many peppers and no, (for the peanut gallory) the berry flavored "Tums" did not change the taste or color of the fruits.🙈

Good info by Irish. To much of a good thing can end up producing foilage rather flowers/blossoms.

Likewise, not enough of a good thing like oxygen or bacteria will prevent plants from benefitting from other good things and that's not a good thing.

I gave up growing tomatoes. Don't know about other locations but my area was hit with that "late blight" and we never did raise a decent tomatoe after that.

Plants always started looking good then as the tomatoes began forming, the leaves began turning yellow from the bottom up then brown lesions on the stalks, leaves and eventually the fruit itself.

After dealing with that, I tried fresh soil in buckets and still got hit with the blight so I said "ptooey" on gardening. Stupid tomatoes.

Although.... I do have a collection of kitty litter buckets, waiting for a chance at gardening.

😞 Maybe next year. 😊
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/17 12:47:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: need some help 2020/07/17 14:56:52 (permalink)
    btdt,When I used to grow them in the ground I used to have prob. with too much foilage til I started to trim the plants back earlier. Then they didn't look as good but produced a lot better. due to my physical probs. it would be extremely difficult for me to water them 2or 3 times a day that is why I tried these buckets.btw I have used the asprin trick to perk up flowers that have been in a vase a little long. Worked good.  sam
    Jump to: