Striper 2020 wwc

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2020/04/11 17:31:29 (permalink)

Striper 2020 wwc

Well today actually kicked off my season. It was a challenge for sure with the wind, snow and social distancing but we adapted well. Couldn't jig up any fresh herring in the creek at all. Know they are there but they outsmarted us . Proceeded to the big mighty with some frozen herring from last season. The catfish were liking it and even they outsmarted us.
My friend had a big slam on the rod and it was no catfish. First striper of the year broke our hearts by setting itself free from his hook.
Very very few people out compared to last weekend and pre marina, launches closures. Only small crafts locals which have private docks were out .
We shall see how all this works out. It may really reduce the harvest tremendously with charters and marinas shutdown.
Let's hope I have more pictures and updates on the open water than I did on the hardwater.

Enjoy time with friends and family.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

18 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/11 17:53:32 (permalink)
    Great that you were able to get out, not so great that the fish were a bit too sneaky yet. Hope you get a few next trip!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/11 18:24:48 (permalink)
    SLAM!  Makes it worth it. thanks for putting up the thread.  Glad it's off and running.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/15 07:15:58 (permalink)
    I looked all over the net for some frozen herring with absolutely no luck. Either shops are closed or they're out of stock.  Thought it would be a good back-up.  Up the creek without a paddle and a best laid plan of mice...... Got a new, cheap Ugly Stick that is similar to a rod I used in the surf  20 + years ago, then gave away in a fit of generosity to a friend that grew up on the coast and missed fishing.  Oddly, he just bought a townhouse with access to my favorite  Cape Cod estuary and beach. Spare bedroom, too. Ugly for the money? Bargain city. I asked HT advice on it, he steered me straight. Set up with a workhorse Okuma, should do the job. Rather have a Shimano or a Penn, and I might get one later for the brutal salt to stick on my much longer Penn surf stick.  Can't wait for the Hudson, areas on the coast are going to be tough- All campgrounds are closed, if they open up interstate traffic, I might just take a few long drives towards the end of May when they show up on Cape Ann. My buddy that is a  revered guide, gave up the business  and is going to stick to working on boats. We are going to go out, though with me as usual chipping in some doughnuts and gas money.  
        I'm still fully engaged in mortal combat with the C word, makes the thought of fishing with friends  even more  productive of happy thoughts. Talked to my good friend Uglyfish who belongs here, too. We've got some wild brookie and Schroon River outings planned, as he's bought a house up towards Lake George. He'll head down to Fish Vermont wilderness with me, too.  Stripers  first though.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/19 14:50:02 (permalink)
    I don't know... I was out today and there are hoards of people from, NJ, ct, Massachusetts and NYC everywhere. I caught 4 herring jigging and had asshats banging against my boat trying to get that spot. The islands are crawling with people trying to set up camps.
    Stay the F home and don't invade our local communities. I get it but geesh, at least be responsible and respectful..
    If this is how my season is going to go, it will be short lived because I can't deal with this nonsense.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/20 09:01:28 (permalink)
    The same people will be on the Cape Cod Canal  in the end of May.  I got a half dozen bronze fish in the 2-4 range  upriver in five feet of clarity  ,Sunday aft.  I always thought stripers are relatively predictable, and used that info to be very successful chasing them. It's people that aren't and what makes it difficult to  plan.  Had a great conversation with my buddy on the Cape last night, when the travel ban goes off, We'll be out in estuaries , small beaches and harbors.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/20 09:27:12 (permalink)
    Upon retirement Wifey and I do NOTHING on weekends anymore.
    No shopping, entertainment or anything- even fishing or hunting.
    Too many other people out there and too many novices.
    Even with the present lockdowns weekends are crowded.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/04/20 16:55:06 (permalink)
    Hey folks, I was just losing my mind this weekend and had to blow off steam. I wasn't trying to direct comments towards any person or persons not to go fishing. It was just more than I could handle for the last 3 weeks seeing " strangers " in my backyard fishery . Not that the trib or river dosen't get pressure but this was over the top watching people with boats that don't belong here and people who really don't either not having a clue. It reminded me of the wall pool on a prime Saturday. And trying to launch a lake boat in a mud bay / flat at low tide= minus 1.5 feet with zero water. I don't even mess with the jon boat at that time.
    Hopefully help is on the way. While I kinda felt selfish of the launch and marinas closed, now I'm glad there's other places that the interstate people will use instead.
    I stopped today at the boat and there are fresh herring in my barrel pen swimming.
    No pictures but word of its time...
    Please play nice mother nature and let's all fish together instead of against each other.
    Peace and tuna
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/20 19:58:12

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/05 17:01:27 (permalink)
    As you can see from the past 2 weeks of starting this thread, there has been zero action from me.
    Things are certainly strange times for 2020.
    The whole world is upside down and it's not cool. I can deal with a bad day but man, every day seems like groundhog day.

So yes, I took 4 days to island camp and fish with some friends. For peace of mind , my own. There wasn't a deserted island anywhere along east shore of the Hudson. Incredibly crazy with people, and they been there before us and still after. NYC, NJ, PA,MA, everywhere !! They have established a hunker down place along the shores for the interim. We really had to search for dry land.
    Social distance was not an option with my friends. We probably drank from the same bottle a time or 2 , ate the unsanatized foods we prepared and shook hands many times.
    I have lots of gear I've purchased in my times and sharing it is always what I tell folks that might not have their own.
    I've wasted a lot of time and money on things but it hasn't stopped me from trying.

Anyway,
    If the weather plays nice I will try some more. If not then I'll just write striper 2020 off like everything else so far.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/05 17:05:10

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/06 16:13:00 (permalink)
    Shoulda, codda , woulda. I said Wednesday was the time.
    We had fun.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/06 17:11:21 (permalink)
    Bravo... nice fish, great pictures, I'm jealous. 🙃

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/06 20:41:25 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Shoulda, codda , woulda. I said Wednesday was the time.
    We had fun.

Glad to see you caught a break in the weather and mud! Congrats on the catching... had to have been quite a battle in the small boat!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 07:27:14 (permalink)
    hope the wave stays for ya for awhile. Nice.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 09:39:14 (permalink)
    I’d be kind of scared of those fish tipping the boat... Nice fish! Hope you get into more.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 10:17:40 (permalink)
    Nice Rich - hope it keeps  up a while.

In my neck of the woods, after a VERY slow start on the understocked Trout in my favored stream- the State came through like gangbusters a couple of days ago.
    MANY Trout 18 inches plus along with the normal 12 inchers.
    Fun stuff on my ultra light with 4 lb test in the brushy stream.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 17:25:48 (permalink)
    Invited on another boat today.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/07 17:30:30

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 18:27:30 (permalink)
    Looks like some great additions to the freezer! Congrats on the catching! 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 19:09:54 (permalink)
    Bravo HT. Keep em comin. There's enough fillet in the picture to last me a year. 👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Striper 2020 wwc 2020/05/07 22:13:23 (permalink)
    We sow the seeds we harvest. That's enough for our family to substantiate the times ahead. Nothing goes to waste.
    Fish that can repurpose their future will , others that can not journey further become the foods of tomorrow.
    Sorry folks, it's what happens in my life .
    Those filets were not from today.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/07 22:15:57

Jump to: